Notices

Amitriptylin

Old 01-16-2015, 09:03 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Amitriptylin

Hello,
My doctor gave me Amitriptylin 25 for depression and i'm taking it now for about 10 weeks.I feel better but i'm worried about side effects now.I got kidney infection and had to take antibiotics.I asked the doctor and he said it is an old drug and difficulty in passing urine is one of the side effects but he is not sure about the infection!Does someone here take Amitriptylin or has any experiece with it?
Thank you.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

It's an older antidepressant. I took it years ago and switched to a SSRI. If you're having issues passing urine and your doctor can't answer your question, maybe you should seek a second opinion.
Old 01-16-2015, 09:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Is it that your doctor doesn't know the answer or is it that scientific data and studies are inconclusive on a link between the drug and kidney infections?

If he simply doesn't know, I would definitely seek a second opinion.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I took it for a while but as a prophylactic for migraine rather than a mood disorder. The only issue I had with it was it made me sleepy at inappropriate times.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:52 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I think that if you ever have concerns with taking any medication, but particularly psychotropic drugs, you really need to be upfront with your doctor about it or seek a second opinion.

I think its important that you feel comfortable taking your antidepressant medication or you may suddenly decide to stop taking it which is unsafe and will lead to your mood issues going untreated.
Old 01-16-2015, 10:57 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I have taken it for years for depression (having tried others that didn't work). I've never experienced any side-effects at all.

Do talk to your dr about your concerns.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:44 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by aistar View Post
Hello,
My doctor gave me Amitriptylin 25 for depression and i'm taking it now for about 10 weeks.I feel better but i'm worried about side effects now.I got kidney infection and had to take antibiotics.I asked the doctor and he said it is an old drug and difficulty in passing urine is one of the side effects but he is not sure about the infection!Does someone here take Amitriptylin or has any experiece with it?
Thank you.
Hi, i am taking it..for pain relief for an upper arm problem i am on 25mg per night since September. I do believe it is has been used for depression, have read up on it because i do not like to take any drug, in fact dont even like to take headache tablets, i also know it was prescribed to children for bedwetting. It is still known as AMITRYPTILIN..though ? it is also supposed to help you sleep, the main side effect with me is a very dry mouth, hope this helps..Google it for more info.Difficulty in passing urine..maybe that is why it was prescribed for bed wetting.
Old 01-16-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I just take 25 mg at night so it helps me to go to sleep.
I asked the same question from my family doctor,my urologist,my psychiatrist and the doctor in the hospital. They know problems with urine can be a sideefect and maybe it makes it harder for me to get better,,but there is no direct link to the infection.The problem is that Amitriptylin really works for me and i have to be on it like 6 months. I can stop taking it(the doctor said) and see what will happen.butt i really don't want to back to that dark place again! I'm gonna speak to my psychiatrist next week.