Notices

Annoyed

Old 01-15-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Annoyed

Is it just me or once some of you had over a month, you really started to hear all of the negativity in people's conversations around you? I guess I must have fed into it or blocked it out. It just seems to really bother me right now. I want to tell people at work to shut the heck up and suck it up! Life isn't fair! lol Sorry, just the ranting of a recovering teacher.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:22 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Yes. Usually when it comes to what people refer to as "First world problems".
Old 01-15-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

And the endless drama. I have the same. I just walk out or put my ear phones on.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:26 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I know what you mean angd you just need to ignore them and focus on you!
Old 01-15-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Haha... I wish I could wear earphones but I do just try to stay to myself. I stay out of the drama and they wonder why I am the one leaving early everyday. Let them talk about me... I used to care but not anymore.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:52 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Administrator

I had to step out of the drama too. I have to admit I was apart of the drama, but when I began recovery, I was so glad to get away from it. I try to keep negativity to a minimum, too. It helps.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Indeed. Doing the work required for sobriety gives an entirely different life perspective and experience. It's nice to no longer feel the need to prove a point. Disconnecting from the never ending negative news cycle of the airwaves, internet, printed page and gossip circles may mean you feel a bit disconnected from all the noise, but it gives a great opportunity to get involved in places where you really can make a difference.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I know what you mean. I'm coming up on 5 months and just feel generally happy. It seems to me that a lot of people just enjoy turmoil, either real or invented.
Old 01-15-2015, 06:45 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Amen to that Tommy!
Old 01-16-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Yep, it becomes very obvious, doesn't it ? I logged on to facebook yesterday after a long break, and people were just moaning about everything, I didn't realise before.

I'm just glad to be alive, most days !
Old 01-16-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by angd1978 View Post
Is it just me or once some of you had over a month, you really started to hear all of the negativity in people's conversations around you? I guess I must have fed into it or blocked it out. It just seems to really bother me right now. I want to tell people at work to shut the heck up and suck it up! Life isn't fair! lol Sorry, just the ranting of a recovering teacher.
It is not just you! And to be honest they don't stop complaining, I just tend to ignore it now or look at it in a different way.

I am very quiet at work. I don't talk to people much because they are always complaining or gossiping. I do my work the best of my ability and I go home. It is a job, my paycheck. They are not going to put my resume on my headstone.

Out in the rest of the world I smile a lot at the complainers, tell them "God Bless" if I am feeling ornery and I make an effort to calm a person if they just had a run in with an angry person.

That cashier that just rang up an angry and rude customer. I ask them how they are, I thank them and I tell them to have a good day or the day can only go up from here.

The person that comes to work complaining they are late because of an accident, I comment that I hope the person in the accident is okay. Make them think, "I guess that person is having a worse morning then I am".

But most of the time I worry about me. I can only control me and my reaction, I can't control them so I stopped trying. I leave them to their negative perception and version of their life. Not my circus, not my monkeys.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:10 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Great advice all! I am glad to know that it is not just me. I guess we are getting happy and more secure, while the rest of the world is still going on. I for one have to do what makes me happy and keeps me sober... so I chose not to be negative!! Have a great Friday!