Vitamins

Old 01-15-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Vitamins

What are some ones?
Old 01-15-2015, 12:20 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

It's always a good idea to talk to your dr about vitamins and supplements.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I mostly count on lean proteins, fish, plenty of veggies and fruits.
  # 4 (permalink)  

I am speaking of over the counter, and what are some good ones?
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ask your Dr to Run some blood tests for vitimin defineacy and they will advise you from there Tonya
Old 01-15-2015, 12:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Maybe a nutritionist or naturopath might have better knowledge on vitamins and supplements or orthomolecular medicine.
There are some popular books out there too: one called "Seven Weeks to Sobriety" by Joan Mathew Larson which suggests some vitamins and supplements. Actually the whole book is based on it.
One that I personally have taken in the past are Niacin and L-Glutamine. But I am not a doctor. And people react differently to different vitamins and supps so touching base with a doc may be a good idea regardless.
For example, for a while I was taking zinc and dealing with crazy abdominal pain. I didn't think it was the zinc but it ended up being the reason.
Getting vitamins and minerals through food is probably the better way to go about it too.
Good luck! And take care.
Old 01-15-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I've been px thiamine but think u need that from GP and you need to make sure ur having right doses anyway. I'm also taking aloe Vera gel. X
Old 01-15-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

A daily multivitamin (the kind that says "daily multivitamin" on the label) is probably sufficient for most people's needs.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I multivitamin a day. I used to have problems experimenting too much with supplements on my own (overdosed some, surprise from someone prone to excess in general?), so I no longer take anything else without specific medical reason and consultation.

I think the answer to "what are some good ones" should come from what do you need supplements for?
Old 01-15-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I did the "7 weeks to sobriety" thing back in the 90's. I drank again but remembered a lot of the book and it made a lot of sense. I took a lot of supplements when I detoxed 6+ months ago. I think it helped.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:19 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I followed the suggestions in two different books and experienced no noticeable negative side effects (but I might've gotten lucky as well). Seven Weeks to Sobriety by Joan Mathews Larson and The Mood Cure by Julia Ross.

At this point, I only take fermented cod liver oil, Vitamin D, a GABA supplement, and a multivitamin.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:28 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

I took a multivitamin - I had no issues with it.

If you want specific suggestions tho you really need to see someone - none of us can tell if you're deficient in vitamins or what that vitamin might be, Tonya.

D
Old 01-15-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Thanks Guys
Old 01-15-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I take a multivitamin and b complex every morning. I think it also has a placebo effect with me.
Old 01-15-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Oh gawd I take so many I rattle. I did a ton of research on this before choosing what to take though. There's some really good reputable sites out there with advise on vitamins & supplements for alcohol withdrawal & recovery. Good luck
Old 01-15-2015, 03:24 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Eat as many different fruits and veggies as you can and you will get loads of vitamins. All of which are good.

But if you are looking for specific supplement recommendations or have a health concern, might want to consult the doc or dietician.
Old 01-15-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree with Melinda too. I think when I too the Glut and Niacin it had a placebo effect with me too but I won't complain.
The only thing to be aware of with Niacin is that it is a vasodilator. You WILL flush as the blood vessels tend to widen. A lot of people think of this as an allergic reaction so it may be best to get a non flushing Niacin (although not as effective apparently).
I would really recommend going to a health food store or organic health food store and ask questions, see a nutritionist or naturopath as this is the root of their practice. Pharmacists and doctors (in my opinion) aren't too knowledgable about it in that area.
Although blood tests would show deficiencies if that were your concern.
Old 01-15-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Cause no harm

I agree with Bayliss. In my experience, many MDs have little knowlege in nutrition. The foundation to any recovery for the body is a good diet. I would hope to see an improvement in physicians knowledge base of proper nutrition in the medical field.

Early in my abstinence this time, I made diet my main focus. I ate only healthy foods and added vitamin and mineral supplements. I drank acv with water a couple times a day and got plenty of sleep. After about two weeks, most of the withdrawal symptoms passed. Although they were relatively mild, it felt good to have them gone. I continued the routine.

It has been 32 days now since my last drink. I do not have the slightest desire to have alcohol. I have been to several parties where booze was plentiful and still had absolutely no desire to join in the drinking...and I had a great time too. I truly feel, for once in my 45 years of drinking, free from the bottle.

Eating a good diet, coupled with a determination to rewire my brain to kick alcohol addiction is working for me. I will not allow any change from my course. I know that the nutritional aspect has been critical in my recovery. I encourage every person in the same situation to give it a whole-hearted attempt to change to a wholesome, healthy diet, exercise, and a positive mental attitude and post the results.
Old 01-15-2015, 07:47 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Multi vitamin and a good b complex really helped me out.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Of course talk to your doctor but I will tell you my over the counter vitamins that I take religiously.

b-100 complex- Very very very very important to take when trying to beat alcohol and the shakes
Multivitamin- 1 a day
Milk thistle for liver help
2 packets of Emergen-C a day
Magnesium for the heart
tablespoon of Blackstrap Molasses for muscle and bone
Ginkgo Biloba for the mind
Green Tea

I did all of that when I was drinking heavily 3-5 times a week because I was so scared of what I was doing to my body. I am still fighting Alcoholism every day. I can't say Ive won yet as I continue to get drunk approx. 1-2 times a week still but that is a huge improvement over where I was even 6 months ago. The one thing that has never stopped is the vitamin regiment. I am too scared to not take all that. Alcohol is very damaging.