Notices

44 and scared

Old 01-15-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

One day at a time. Just don't drink today. Recognize your own desire and willingness to change.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:17 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

notmyrealname and lbrain thank you you're words meant a lot i do have to grow a set of nuts and just jump this is the first time i've reached out aside from sitting silently in a AA meeting.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

one side of my brain says quit dave, other side says grab a beer dave !! grrrrrrrr
Old 01-15-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

One way to deal with that dichotomy is to see the one side of your brain as the real you, or your higher/wiser self. And the other side that's screaming for the beer as the AV, the addictive voice, or... your addiction.
Old 01-15-2015, 02:59 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum NeedChange!!

It all comes down to developing new habits, how was life as a kid without alcohol? was it a disaster or did it go alright? because going back to that time without alcohol can be done, we've been there before.

Small steps, small changes, one day at a time, keep it simple!! You can do this!!
Old 01-15-2015, 07:42 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Needchange..I was doing the same thing , and around about the beginning of Nov , I got sicker than heck with a sinus infection among other things...I was running and working 16 - 20 hrs a day at work and home. With beer , I could keep that pace..But it finally caught up with me when I got so sick , I couldn't even think about a drink....But I kept trying to drink...On Nov 12th I had 4 beers working in the garage , I felt a shot of Ammonia like smell shoot up my neck and almost passed out....That's how hard I was pushing myself and trying to use beer to push it just a bit further...

That day , I knew it , the can had caught up with me,,,Starting Nov 13th , I became sober...Dizzy headed , sick as a dawg , tired as heck , could barely formulate a word or sentence,,,,I continued to work sober , but wasn't very productive at all....

Not long after I ended up in the ER dehydrated ,liver and kidneys not shot , but wore out....Few days later , I was in a Detox unit for a few hours and they gave me a prescription , then I saw my Primary care Dr. who gave me a plan and continued a prescription....

My point to all this , I pushed myself hard enough to be forced to quit and see a few different Dr's and Hospitals..

If you want to take a shortcut , talk to your physician first , before you are forced into being hauled off to the ER...
Old 01-15-2015, 07:59 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

With your long history of heavy drinking you should get some medical advice before detoxing. Alcohol withdrawal can be dangerous.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:00 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

morning all. thank you for all your words and thoughts. i'm gonna call my doctor today and see what she says. the hardest thing about all of this is not knowing a life without beer. also to go it alone without someone to lean on at home. I asked my girlfriend to please reconsider so she could help me through this and she said no.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 29 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by NEEDCHANGE38 View Post
the hardest thing about all of this is not knowing a life without beer.
Unless you started drinking beer right out of the womb, you've had a life without beer at some point. Try to think back to those times and remember what you liked to do then. You might still like to do it now.

Fear of sobriety is a hallmark symptom of addiction. It's completely irrational, but very very real. I had it in spades. Then I got sober and now I can't remember why I waited so long.

Congratulations on your decision to pursue a sober life. You won't be sorry.

Old 01-16-2015, 04:30 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

thank you......their seems to be a lot of good people on here. everything you guys say makes total sense to me.
Old 01-16-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Today is a new day. You can do this!

We're all with ya!
Old 01-16-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 32 (permalink)  
Better when never is never

I benefited from reading Alan Carr's The Easy Way to Quit Drinking as it clearly tore apart every argument that I enjoyed drinking or that there was any benefit in it. At your level of drinking, I would definitely have a frank talk with your doctor about quitting. The reality is, the human body can only take so much abuse before it gives out. From what I have seen and heard, this decline usually is rapid rather than gradual with many signposts.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:03 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

I saw the rapid decline you speak of firsthand jazzfish. my dad and three uncles. all died young except for one uncle who went from a six figure career, family, picture perfect life to being divorced, no family, and living with his mother my grandmother
Old 01-16-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  

to be completely honest with everyone, i'm somewhat mad I have to do this but.....I've lost the women I love and don't want to end up dead or in jail.
Old 01-16-2015, 05:18 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

hi all. quick history of me. been a heavy beer drinker for 30 years. 10-12 every weeknight and 30-40 on weekends. I have an excellent job in business management and never miss work because of hangovers. over the past month I have been thinking a lot about my addiction to beer, mostly because my girlfriend left me because of my drinking.

how am I supposed to accomplish this when it's all I've ever known ? I enjoy beer a lot but my sensible side is getting louder and louder saying it's no good for me and I need to stop. I just have no clue how to do it. I asked my girlfriend to come back and help me get sober but she said no.
You'd be amazed at how much more you'll enjoy LIFE than beer.

You can do it.

How? Well.... If you'd like to have all the details of one solution, check out AA and get yourself a copy of the Big Book.

Welcome
Old 01-16-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

what do doctors do to help people quit drinking ?
Old 01-16-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

morning all. thank you for all your words and thoughts. i'm gonna call my doctor today and see what she says. the hardest thing about all of this is not knowing a life without beer. also to go it alone without someone to lean on at home. I asked my girlfriend to please reconsider so she could help me through this and she said no.
Not knowingAA life without alcohol was the greatest fear I had when I got into AA. My whole life revolved around alcohol.
But the fear of what my life.... actually I was only existing... With alcohol( a miserable death) kept me goin back to AA and putting in the footwork to change me.
Plus I read the big book, saw the Promises of what would happen if I followed a few simple suggestions and also saw the proof that life without alcohol was possible in the people at the meetings and it sure looked and sounded a helluva lot better than what I had.
And life has taken on new meaning just as promised.
Old 01-16-2015, 06:04 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Here's a set of promises from the Bb that have happened:
And we have ceased fighting anything or anyone - even alcohol. For by this time sanity will have returned. We will seldom be interested in liquor. If tempted, we recoil from it as from a hot flame. We react sanely and normally, and we will find that this has happened automatically. We will see that our new attitude toward liquor has been given us without any thought or effort on our part. It just comes! That is the miracle of it. We are not fighting it, neither are we avoiding temptation. We feel as though we had been placed in a position of neutrality - safe and protected. We have not even sworn off. Instead, the problem has been removed. It does not exist for us. We are neither cocky nor are we afraid. That is our experience. That is how we react so long as we keep in fit spiritual condition.
Old 01-16-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

what do doctors do to help people quit drinking ?
for me? I could have avoided some nasty detoxes.
Detox can be dangerous even deadly - thats why I recommend seeing a Dr....at least get your vitals checked

Some drs will prescribe meds for you to help with withdrawal, others won't.

Depends on your clinical history, your general condition and the Dr.

D
Old 01-16-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 40 (permalink)  

You said: "the hardest thing about all of this is not knowing a life without beer. also to go it alone without someone to lean on at home."

You can lean on us a bit. Admittedly we're not all as cute and cuddly as your ex-girlfriend but we're here round the clock and we know what you're going through. We're not here to judge but we will nudge you towards medical help and probably 12 step meetings because we know these approaches have helped us.