Notices

Music to my ears - Sober Weekender Thread!!! Jan 16-18

Old 01-19-2015, 11:03 AM
  # 281 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by LBrain View Post
tough one bigs, perhaps ask her to not send you anything until she is sober - not drinking.
that you will not entertain her drunken texts, maybe she will think twice about it? hard to say. people under the influence lose judgment - hence, 'under the influence'

but if she is 'scolded' when she sends drunken texts she may eventually get the message.

are there mutual friends that you feel inclined to involve? good luck.

did you get extra wheels for the truck? A flat in the middle of nowhere isn't pleasant down there
Thanks for the advice, LB. I guess I'll just kind of leave her hanging the next time she does that. Probably best to just mind my own back yard and distance myself from her when she's trying to communicate while drunk. Nothing good can come of it. Thanks buddy.

As for the truck, you bet, I do indeed have an extra wheel attached to the undercarriage on the back. The truck came with new tires as well, which is a huge bonus here as there are often detours here that lead down dirt roads, etc. Going to keep it fun, and keep it safe!

BTW - after I drove the truck back from Guatemala City, I took my girlfriend out to dinner. We went to a new place that we hadn't been to before, they had live music, we danced a bit and laughed a lot. I had a coke, she had water. We came home and went up to my terrace and looked at the stars for a while, then finished up with a movie and some popcorn. Sobriety is giving me all I can handle, in fact my social life now is a lot more full than it was during my drinking days! From reading the posts here, it sounds like a lot of you feel the same way!
Old 01-19-2015, 11:12 AM
  # 282 (permalink)  

Thanks for sharing your experience Lola. Still in early stages here and have yet to face dinner parties. I think it might be much easier to say no in a restaurant than in intimate gathering: we are all prone to social signals, etc. My plan will be to let people know, without going into details. I think we need help resisting our cravings.

Best of luck!

B
Old 01-19-2015, 11:27 AM
  # 283 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Well, the place where I wanted to take my truck was closed for the holiday, so I didn't get the inspection done today. I got my 2013 federal return amended, and I know what the amount on my state return will be, but I haven't filled out the state forms yet. The software I was using isn't too friendly on amending state returns, so I am going to fill those out long hand and send them in. Netting about $4,400 in the difference for both federal and state, so well worth the effort.

Just think, I paid a CPA $800 to file my returns incorrectly to the tune of $4,400 last year. Grrrrrrrrr...

On the flip side- if I was still drinking I probably never would have caught it.
Old 01-19-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 284 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Hmmm, Lola. So exactly how long have you been staying home by yourself? Have you been nestled up alone in a Hobbit Hole for the past couple of years? Or do you have the perception that staying home for a few weekends = "forever".

We are all different, but I know that many of us simply had to jump off the social bandwagon for a while. Months, maybe longer, etc. I'm not sure under what circumstances you arrived here at Sober Recovery - but I'm going to assume you are here because you really want to quit drinking. A few Saturday nights home eating popcorn is a small price to pay for getting your life back.

Your entire life can change if you quit drinking. And that's something that truly does last forever.
Thanks Big Sombrero - you absolutely hit the nail on the head in that no, of course it hasn't been years... It's not so much that it FEELS like forever already, more that I wonder if being alone and never socializing is what its going to take to stay sober. To be honest, I really don't mind staying home alone with popcorn, a movie and my cat. I'm not really a social butterfly. But I worry that if I don't "get out there" I AM going to turn into a single, childless Hobbit, you know?

But you're right. The circumstances that brought me to SR are such that I can't go back to how things were. Thanks for the reminder.
Old 01-19-2015, 01:47 PM
  # 285 (permalink)  

Hi everyone. Back from the breakfast. Lola, these are two friends from high school. Both are moderate drinkers. I used to meet them in bars or attend parties with them but lately I don't get together with them for parties. I see them and catch up and have social time at breakfast or lunch. Maybe if you need the social quotient in the beginning do breakfast or lunch instead? With some people who aren't going to be ordering mimosas or bloody Mary's. It's tough but it isn't forever. Or entertain and do a breakfast or lunch on weekends?

BigS, when I was newly divorced from my first husband at 30 I was already drinking far too much but not nightly. I think the heady feeling of being able to date and still being attractive combined with the fear of not meeting someone new, that's when I went completely off the rails. I moved back to chicago from Minnesota and kept it in check because I was living with my parents but the damage was done and I couldn't go back. I'd suggest setting boundaries but voice your concerns and be done with it. Tell her you like to hear from her but not when she's been drinking. And that (if she's aware of your struggles) tell her that you are concerned, this is what you have seen, and given your own struggles, you'd hate to think she would have to go through the same thing.

Well, breakfast was fun. I picked up kids at my parents and hung out for a bit. Then, what's cheaper than a theme park and infinitely more exciting? The automatic car wash! The kids went crazy with excitement and wre bouncing around the back seat following the arm of the sprayer. Afterwards they were replaying the experience all the way home. I laughed it was so infectious.

Daughter is at a friends house. Son got a lesson in step stool safety. He was climbing up to get a cup for milk while holding the gallon in his hand. I heard a crash. White liquid pooling across the floor and flowing under the refrigerator. He wasn't hurt but I now have to rewash three towels I had literally just folded. Pulled out the fridge and washed the floor only to discover the edge of one of the newly laid tiles wasn't adhering, so milk seeped underneath and the underlay is plywood. That is probably going to stink. I'm not happy with that tile. When did I bore you with accounts of that project? September? I'm not crazy about the floor, the look or the popped edge. Maybe a couple of years and I will put something else down.

I forgot to put the pot roast in the crockpot so I have to figure what to make for dinner. Mr. Ruby is in bed after work. He's still recovering from his Friday escapade. Payday for him is Thursday. I can only hope. He's gone to meetings, got numbers, and hasn't been isolating so much.

Time to figure out the answer to the eternal question. What's for dinner?
Old 01-19-2015, 02:11 PM
  # 286 (permalink)  

Ruby I love your description of the car wash...these are life's little pleasures.
I should have taken today off...not much work and I don't feel like doing anything extra cause it feels like a holiday and I shouldn't be there. Kind of a waste...
Had to make a dash to the store for some good and plenty's. Terrible sugar addiction that I have. Gotta beat it somehow.
OK - see you all later.
Old 01-19-2015, 02:32 PM
  # 287 (permalink)  

Well, another sober weekend in the books... although it was touch and go for a bit. Had a lot of urges. I'm on day 10 of this cold. I have no idea what is up with that. It doesn't get worse, but doesn't get better.

There's something about a long weekend that just gets my AV going too. At least I made it.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 288 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Originally Posted by strategery View Post

Trach-does cat taste like chicken?
Yes.
Old 01-19-2015, 03:02 PM
  # 289 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Back to work folks! I had a quiet day. Not much to report.

Night.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:02 PM
  # 290 (permalink)  

Checking in tonight. MLK day has been seriously messing up my usual schedule. My Monday morning insanity class was cancelled, which I found out as soon as I got to the gym parking lot. They had group fitness classes this evening, but not the HIIT class I was also planning on doing. Got in other stuff though.

I keep on doing a lot of reading and writing related to school work and other things, so it's not terribly exciting around here, but it keeps me out of trouble.

BigS-I would just ignore the texts. She'll clue in if you ignore them. If you are concerned about her, talk to her the next day.

Ruby-the car wash sounded like a lot of fun.

Kero-there has been lots of nasty stuff going around. I was battling something off that just was irritating my lungs and made one of my eyes water. Some of my family has had viruses that have lasted a month to six weeks. I hope you're feeling better soon!

Lola-I would agree with Ruby in terms of doing activities with your friends that are sober activities. I'm glad you're back.

Trach-
Old 01-19-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 291 (permalink)  

Good night Weasel! Thanks for the lovely start to the weekend.

Kero, good work fighting the urges. It's not easy in the beginning but you can do it. It gets to the pint where they are like an annoying gnat or fruit fly. Pesky, but a low buzzing, easily dealt with. Far fewer and farther between.

Read Sylvester and the Magic Pebble to my daughter. It's a good story. Time to read to son.

Yes, HaF, take a day to make a three day weekend. There's just something to being off on a day where everyone else is working.

Talk to you all later.
Old 01-19-2015, 06:26 PM
  # 292 (permalink)  

Worked half day , then afterwards , Ran some cables today , repaired a garage door opener , setup my sons new workbench with lighting and last but not least , sacked the trash....have a great night folks...
Old 01-20-2015, 08:58 AM
  # 293 (permalink)  

Hi. Well I know the weekend is over so sorry to drudge up this thread...but just wanted to let you guys know that I took your words/advice to heart and this morning rescheduled a upcoming dinner on this upcoming Saturday to lunch. I didn't want to cancel b/c this friend has done me a nice favor and I wanted to treat her. So lunch it is. I know its a small step but in the right direction. Thanks all!
Old 01-21-2015, 10:30 AM
  # 294 (permalink)  

Sorry Weasel and everyone, I know the last weekend is over and we'll soon have a new one, but I can't hold this in. I went to a concert last night and the singer reminded me of this song, and many others from Portishead. I still can't get it out of my mind.