Notices

Music to my ears - Sober Weekender Thread!!! Jan 16-18

Old 01-17-2015, 02:38 PM
  # 181 (permalink)  
EndGame

Originally Posted by fromadistance View Post
Yep, just looked at the menu for River Cafe....probably not the place for this family of five. The Brooklyn location of Fornino looks like it might be a nice fit. Maybe grab a bite and then enjoy the view from the park.

One last question....we want to see Wicked....any tips for getting tickets/preferred seating? How far in advance is recommended?
Yeah, it's often difficult to enjoy a good meal in a great setting when you have to refinance your house to pay for it. I've only been a handful of times on very special occasions. You're much better off with a more relaxed atmosphere, good food and a great view, and Fornino is all of that. It's almost impossible not to have a good experience there.

I used to go to Broadway shoes regularly when I was much younger. Sixteen bucks with a student ID, but that was only if the President (Teddy Roosevelt at the time), didn't commandeer the theater. And then later on when the tickets were still reasonably priced for many years.

During the past two decades or so, the prices have skyrocketed while the quality has withered. Some of the best shows I've seen more recently are Off-Broadway and Off-Off Broadway, but that's not what you're looking for.

This is a resource for the more conventional ways of getting the tickets you want without using your house for collateral:

Best Places for Discounted Broadway Tickets in New York « CBS New York
Old 01-17-2015, 02:41 PM
  # 182 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

FAD... Get them ASAP. Not easy tickets to get. And except to pay about $1000 or more for a family of 5. My friends got tickets that the best they could do was $300. But give it a go.

Thanks PK... Just chewed some ice. Blistered. Dang it!
Old 01-17-2015, 02:43 PM
  # 183 (permalink)  

fromadistance --- not sure when you are heading to NYC,
DON'T BUY FROM SECOND HAND TICKET AGENCIES.
Unfortunately ticket bastard has their sticky fingers in this.

If you start looking now, and sign up fo some broadway or other type of service you can possibly get tix cheaper than face.
but if you know exactly when, just go throught he box office, or you could just gamble and wait till you get into town and take a walk - you will anyway, and stop at the theater a day ahead. ask the hotel - concierge - if they can get you "cheap" tickets.
You can usually get tickets one day in advance of show.

but with a small tribe you're best to call ahead

hmmmmmmm, apparently me and weasey have different opinions, I just checked and could get great seats for any show for the next two weeks on their website.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:08 PM
  # 184 (permalink)  

Thanks guys, I'll do some investigating...we're not sophisticated on the whole Broadway scene for sure...lots of folks have told me about going to see that particular program but we're not hard to please and will have fun whether I can swing the tickets or not. Thanks again for your help!
Old 01-17-2015, 03:19 PM
  # 185 (permalink)  

Greetings Sober Enders!
Lazy Saturday here. Did a run with the dog this morning, before the drizzle started.
Cooked meatloaf and put some homemade baked beans in the crock. 8 hours later and they are still crunchy. I have never successfully made from scratch baked beans. Do not know what I am doing wrong. Soaked overnight. No salt. I am definitely bean-challenged.
Going to do a bit of painting this afternoon and find something on Netflix to watch.
Hope everyone is doing fine!
Old 01-17-2015, 03:25 PM
  # 186 (permalink)  

I'm back but missed the "dump cake" suggestion before I got the cake into the oven. So...I will have to try the dump cake another time. I don't make cakes that often. But I do tend to turn out a pretty good bundt cake.

Just relaxing for the time being. Son should have gotten out of the house today but he didn't. Ah, well. Some Saturdays are just made for lazing around and this is it. House was pretty reasonably picked up yesterday so I wasn't frantic about getting it done today and I have Monday off. I see that a bunch of people have it off too. We can do it.

Finally carted the christmas tree over to the park to toss it onto the pile of trees awaiting shredding into mulch. I was glad to see that the pile was still there and I wasn't the only procrastinator. The tree had been sitting outside in the yard until.

Time to stir myself and throw a bit of laundry in and run the dishwasher.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:27 PM
  # 187 (permalink)  

Olive, I've had mixed results on made from scratch beans. I guess keep cooking them?
Old 01-17-2015, 03:36 PM
  # 188 (permalink)  

Good thinking Ruby. I shall just leave them in the crock and see what happens. Must remember to shut it off before I go to bed tonight.
Old 01-17-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 189 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

MMMMM, meatlooooaaaaf.

Don't know what I want for dinner. Might just throw a pot of microwave soup together. Worked all day and am tired and my feet hurt.

Lot's of good music this weekend. I didn't know anyone was making as good as that Mars funk. Very much something JB would have recorded. Word.

Old 01-17-2015, 04:15 PM
  # 190 (permalink)  

Time to throw some Gasoline on this Weekend Thread Funk Blaze! Hee hee.

Introduced by Helen Reddy. I like the introductions by Astrological Sign a few minutes in.

'Fire' ~ The Ohio Players ~ Live

-----
Old 01-17-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 191 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Makes me think of high school dances!

Old 01-17-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 192 (permalink)  

Seeing as this is a music thread this week, I thought I'd share I'm currently watching an Eric Clapton gig from the 90s, before that the channel I'm on was showing the 2013 Crossroads festival from Madison Square Garden, which I was lucky enough to get a ticket for, it brings me back!!

I thought I'd not play the song "Cocaine", probably not a great choice for SR, so instead some Eric Clapton and JJ Cale, who sadly has since passed away!!

btw 2 songs for the price of 1!!

Old 01-17-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 193 (permalink)  

Good one!

Ole 'Slow Hand' teamed up with invited Players to put out this Tribute Disc. Some smokin' stuff on here. See different cuts on the Webpage right side.

Given that 'Crossroads' is held to raise Money for a Rehab Clinic that Clapton helped start, he says he's quit playing the 'C' word Song in Concert. He also has quit performing 'Tears In Heaven'; written for his Son killed in a fall from a High Rise Apartment Window.

'Don't Wait' ~ Clapton & Pals

-----
Old 01-17-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 194 (permalink)  

John Mayer is also a class act, seen him in London last June, puts on a great show!!

. . . but when playing with others is a solid guitar player!!
Old 01-17-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 195 (permalink)  
Marchia in Aeternum

Let's just bridge all this together, why don't we?

Old 01-17-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 196 (permalink)  

I always need to remember where I've been. Here are two greats who suffered terribly at alcoholism and addictions worst and came through the other side. I really don't have a version which I prefer, just depends on on the day.

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/3aF9AJm0RFc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="//www.youtube.com/embed/htmKZKR7oyc" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 01-17-2015, 05:29 PM
  # 197 (permalink)  

Just to confirm on the posting videos side of things, you need the following tags around the youtube video:

[yt ] and [/yt ]

I had to include the spaces to make this post work but take out the spaces between the brackets and the "t".

Also only use what is after the "=" sign, so:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fX5USg8_1gA

becomes:

[yt ]fX5USg8_1gA[/yt ] . . . .again take out the brackets, yt and /yt with brackets around them are the path to victory!!
Old 01-17-2015, 05:50 PM
  # 198 (permalink)  

Old 01-17-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 199 (permalink)  

Orianthi Panagaris shreds it.

She was in Rehearsal for Michael Jackson's ill fated U.K. Tour.

Orianthi Panagaris ~ Best Of

-----
Old 01-17-2015, 05:56 PM
  # 200 (permalink)  

Arrgghh!!!