Notices

So worried....I quit my job today!

Old 01-14-2015, 02:49 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

I also left a very good, high paying career. My job was my life and was stressful, pressured and false together with many many drinking events. Whilst I was still drinking when I left I now look back and see leaving was the best thing I ever did, nothing would have changed had I not left.

Now I am sober and have a peaceful life. I earn little in a self employed capacity but live frugally and need little as have downsized significantly. I have what is important - my sobriety and peace of mind. I look back and do not recognize the person I once was.

Trust in your instinct that you have done the right thing.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:03 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Serenidad you have two jobs now: your sobriety and running your household so you can manage on the one income. That sounds like two good reasons to get up in the morning, I think it's a great decision.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:30 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

HA! i tried to quit my job last month and they wouldnt let me and i went in drunk at 730am. But I knew sobriety for me was just around the corner and this job would indeed interfere .We worked out an agreement for reduced-full time status until i retire.(and got the biggest year end bonus ever!) it was a surreal. but i am 2 weeks sober and all is good. best of luck serenidad.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:32 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

I really love everyone's comments and support. They make me feel much better about my decision. I tend to "second guess" myself all the time. I have spent my entire life making decisions based on fear and never trusting God or having faith. I have been miserable doing the job I've been doing for a very long time and every time I say "I can't do this anymore! I'm quitting!", I get so much fear of financial insecurity that I stay at the job anyway.

Last night something snapped and I just decided that I've had ENOUGH and at this rate I'm gonna die or live a miserable life. Anyway...when I was off work for a month I went to 1 to 2 AA meetings per day, exercised daily, rested, worked with my sponsor on the steps, stayed active here on SR and guess what? I stayed sober!

Now I can start doing all of those things again to stay sober and hopefully God will help me and when the time is right...guide me to a job that I love. But the most important thing is my sobriety right now. It has to be because without it I have nothing.

I love all you guys and your unconditional support! It's truly amazing that you guys still care & believe in me!
Old 01-14-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post

Last night something snapped and I just decided that I've had ENOUGH and at this rate I'm gonna die or live a miserable life. Anyway...when I was off work for a month I went to 1 to 2 AA meetings per day, exercised daily, rested, worked with my sponsor on the steps, stayed active here on SR and guess what? I stayed sober!
I experienced something similar with a job to where I just couldn't do it any more. I can still remember walking down the hall and coming to that realization and that something had to give. I still remember that voice in my head, "I just can't do it any more". I hadn't gotten sober yet, but making that change has led to a lot more positive changes and me getting sober. I hope this is the start of many more positive changes for you.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:32 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Good for you Serenidad! I made this decision a few months ago when my drinking got bad again(after over 6 months of being sober). I realized I couldn't deal with the stress I was under at work, and be under the stress of the beginning time of staying sober. It just wasn't going to work so I had to make a choice. I was torn though. I like the company I work for, the owners, the people i work with etc.

One of the owners made a comment that I was always frustrated and I needed to work out what the problem was. So after some thought I went to him and told him my frustrations at work, and that unfortunately there was only one way I had to remove the frustration and that was to lea....

I got lucky in a way. He cut me off right there and said to give him until the end of the year. "It is clear this position isn't working for you, and we will not lose you because of it. Can you make it until January?" I said yes. This is when I came back here and started reading again, and began working on my sobriety again.

As promised, at the first of this year my duties were distributed, and the stress was removed. I can now focus on myself, still work in a field I love at a company I respect.

This is different than your situation I guess, but basically I did the same thing. I put my good paying job on the line in order to save myself. If I hadn't of made the decision to pull the plug, I never would have had the strength left at the end of the day to become sober.

I don't feel weak for this. I don't regret it, and I would have turned in my notice that day to save myself. A friend said something one time, that the stress of finding a new income would be less than the stress he felt everyday.

You have made this decision, and I applaud you for your strength. It can be scary, but you and your family will survive, I promise. An everyone in your family will be better off for it no matter any struggles that may come up.

Geeez, sorry that was so long lol
Old 01-14-2015, 05:09 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mikie9 View Post
Good for you Serenidad! I made this decision a few months ago when my drinking got bad again(after over 6 months of being sober). I realized I couldn't deal with the stress I was under at work, and be under the stress of the beginning time of staying sober. It just wasn't going to work so I had to make a choice. I was torn though. I like the company I work for, the owners, the people i work with etc. One of the owners made a comment that I was always frustrated and I needed to work out what the problem was. So after some thought I went to him and told him my frustrations at work, and that unfortunately there was only one way I had to remove the frustration and that was to lea.... I got lucky in a way. He cut me off right there and said to give him until the end of the year. "It is clear this position isn't working for you, and we will not lose you because of it. Can you make it until January?" I said yes. This is when I came back here and started reading again, and began working on my sobriety again. As promised, at the first of this year my duties were distributed, and the stress was removed. I can now focus on myself, still work in a field I love at a company I respect. This is different than your situation I guess, but basically I did the same thing. I put my good paying job on the line in order to save myself. If I hadn't of made the decision to pull the plug, I never would have had the strength left at the end of the day to become sober. I don't feel weak for this. I don't regret it, and I would have turned in my notice that day to save myself. A friend said something one time, that the stress of finding a new income would be less than the stress he felt everyday. You have made this decision, and I applaud you for your strength. It can be scary, but you and your family will survive, I promise. An everyone in your family will be better off for it no matter any struggles that may come up. Geeez, sorry that was so long lol
Thanks Mikie! I really hope and pray your right about everything working out for the better. I hope I can look back on this really hard time in my life one day (hopefully soon) and say that I made the right decision. Right now.....it's all about trust and faith...something a control freak like me is NOT good at!

Thank you!
Old 01-14-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ReadyAtLast View Post
I also left a very good, high paying career. My job was my life and was stressful, pressured and false together with many many drinking events. Whilst I was still drinking when I left I now look back and see leaving was the best thing I ever did, nothing would have changed had I not left.
Like RAL, I followed this same path and am also happy with my little career, where I earn only 1/3 what I did 5 years ago. My personal life is much better these days, and my weekends are full of adventure and promise. I can wake up each day with few worries, and go to bed with even fewer. I like that, and I think you will too.

Concentrate on your sobriety. A word of caution: be careful not to use this time to relapse and drink again. Being an unemployed and active alcoholic can lead many to rock bottom very quickly. It sounds like you're doing this for the right reasons, and as long as you keep the focus on staying sober each day, and not wavering in that committment, you'll find what you're looking for. Patience is key, stick to it.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by bigsombrero View Post
Like RAL, I followed this same path and am also happy with my little career, where I earn only 1/3 what I did 5 years ago. My personal life is much better these days, and my weekends are full of adventure and promise. I can wake up each day with few worries, and go to bed with even fewer. I like that, and I think you will too. Concentrate on your sobriety. A word of caution: be careful not to use this time to relapse and drink again. Being an unemployed and active alcoholic can lead many to rock bottom very quickly. It sounds like you're doing this for the right reasons, and as long as you keep the focus on staying sober each day, and not wavering in that committment, you'll find what you're looking for. Patience is key, stick to it.
Thank you bigsombrero. That's very good advice. I plan to use my time to go to AA, SR. work the steps, exercise and get healthy. I am not going back! It's hell out here! I'm really glad to hear you don't regret quitting your job! I'm so glad you are happy now. It gives me hope!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:29 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

If your inner wisdom spoke to you and what it guided you to understand was that your job right now was a threat to your sobriety, it could well be your higher power steering for you.

My reflection; what is your plan?

The resignation is now behind you. Whether it is a turning point toward a new, rich, sober and positive path is up to the choices and actions that follow.

I admire and respect your courage to take this step.... Now go forth and make it count! YOU CAN DO IT.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
If your inner wisdom spoke to you and what it guided you to understand was that your job right now was a threat to your sobriety, it could well be your higher power steering for you. My reflection; what is your plan? The resignation is now behind you. Whether it is a turning point toward a new, rich, sober and positive path is up to the choices and actions that follow. I admire and respect your courage to take this step.... Now go forth and make it count! YOU CAN DO IT.
Thanks Owl. :-) My plan: 1-2 AA meetings per day, work the steps with my sponsor, pray, journal, SR, read my daily meditations, exercise, rest & self-care and most importantly...do not drink!
Old 01-14-2015, 07:53 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Serenidad View Post
Do you guys think I made the right choice to quit my very stressful job to focus on my sobriety and life?
Absolutely. You would lose the job to drinking if you didn't resign, and then you'd be in the same boat without sobriety.

After your sobriety is stable and stronger, you can revisit the issue of long term career. For now, scale back your expenses to meet whatever income you have. Your life is worth more than any job.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:05 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Good for you!

I did the same thing basically. Retired early to work on myself, knowing that if I stayed on in my meaningless and stressful high-tech job that I would be dead by the time I made it to retirement age. I just hated my job and spent all my time "escaping" - buying toys, and having fantasies of another life.

Once I quit all kinds of amazing things have happened, and I actually have another life.. living halfway around the world, lol.. Some of it's been good, some bad.. but it's all been interesting. Lot's of lessons to learn. Couldn't have done it in my old environment, and while still drinking.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

I quit my stressful well paying job. There were a lot of ethical and regulatory issues and I just couldn't take the pressure. Turned me from an avid partier to a pathetic drunk. OK, I guess I shouldn't blame the job but it sure didn't help.
I now work a job for half the money and am able to help a lot of peoples lives just a little bit better. Had to cut back and live a lot more simple but I'm much happier. Sounds like your going with your heart and doing what's right for you. If your job was triggering you to drink, how long would you have made it anyway?
I don't think you can measure your success with how much money you have or stuff you accumulate. I think success is being able to live your life happy and content that you've done what's right to the best of your ability.

You'll be fine. You'll see. Just concentrate on getting well.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

In my opinion it is better to be broke and sober rather than drunk and rich.
Old 01-14-2015, 09:28 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  
The Long and Winding Road....

hey serenidad

I had to come to a similar conclusion with regards to my own work situation

I relapsed after 7 years, 2 years and 1 year sober respectively

One of the reasons is that I to worked in a very stressful occupation, and I went back to it due to financial pressures and it brought me undone in a big way.

consequently my living situation has been changed, I had to leave my partner of 3 years, not saying you have to, but it was necessary for me.

Am going back to school soon to requalify in a different yet related field, so I can best use my god given abilities to build some financial security to allow me to exist when the time is right.

I have heard in the rooms that sometimes we have to change everything.

I cant use or drink anymore, it will kill me so am totally restructuring my life to ensure maximum sober potential

So to conclude I believe you have made an excellent choice.....go you good thing.....GO!

v
Old 01-15-2015, 12:46 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Money won't help you when you're dead! Hopefully you can find something less stressful, something that's rewarding, even if it doesn't pay as much. When you're on your deathbed you won't look back and wish you'd made more money or spent more time at work!
Old 01-15-2015, 01:39 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Congrats Serenidad

I think its wonderful that you have decided to make you and your sobriety your number one priority. Those stressful jobs can really eat away at our souls... I hope you have lots of peaceful time to care for yourself and breathe
Old 01-15-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Realising my life

I was in a stressful job for many years, and the more stressful it got the more I justified my drinking - and, of course, the more I drank, the more stressful it got. I was so very lucky to be offered the option of early retirement. I was only 51 but I grabbed it with everything I have. I dread to think where I'd be now if I'd tried to stick with it.

Money is tighter but everything else is a million percent better. I am a completely different, much happier and more relaxed person and I'm now just about to celebrate 2 years sobriety.

I think your decision was very brave, but most definitely the right one for you. Your health and well-being is more important than anything else xxx
Old 01-15-2015, 06:30 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

okay... I "lost" my job. Some people think it was a sub-conscious effort to get away from the place. Maybe... If I had the guts I would have left my job 10-15 years ago. But I stayed with the security of income etc. I was a miserable wreck most of the time. It didn't help my drinking at all - well it fueled my drinking.

After a year I am still trying to figure out what I want to do. I am getting nagged big time to get a job. I am being lured in certain directions from old work mates. I know I can do the work easily enough, but do I really want to get back into that RAT RACE? That is what is stalling me. And trying to explain it to my wife is another big stress issue around here.
But you know what? Even tho we are just getting by, I am the most at ease I have been in over twenty years. Money cannot buy peace of mind or happiness. And the quest for it has taken so many down. Follow your heart, work on your sobriety and make your mind better equipped to help you decide what is best for you after you have some time. Life is really much too short to expend so much energy attempting to get instant results. Make this time yours. Good luck.

I just read headlumps post. I'm right there too. It's exactly where I'm at.

Last edited by LBrain; 01-15-2015 at 06:33 AM. Reason: hl post added