Notices

Benadryl/Nyquil Help

Old 01-14-2015, 07:20 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Benadryl/Nyquil Help

I am trying hard to understand what is going on with me. Everyday I take Bendaryl, Tylenol PM, or NyQuil when I get home from work.

I don't think my dependence is extreme right now, but I do worry about how much I look forward to taking it. I don't necessarily take it to sleep though that is a nice result. It helps me feel calm and less anxious.

I hate the way I feel the next day, and I also feel guilty about sneaking around taking it behind my husband's back. Truthfully, I think it is keeping me from dealing with issues I need to address--job, weight, reaching goals, etc.

My question is should I get help for this or is it something I can tackle on my own?
Old 01-14-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi.

You might look at the ingredients and see things like alcohol.

For an alcoholic that is not a healthy choice and it makes recovery very difficult, which is bad enough.

BE WELL
Old 01-14-2015, 07:46 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Wheezie youl find support here its nice to meet you

Its worth speaking to a Dr about yes if your taking it everyday
Old 01-14-2015, 07:57 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I forgot to mention that I have been doing this for almost a year. Days I don't work, I take it several times during the day.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:14 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi Wheezie,

I just googled this and Nyquil has 25% alcohol content. Do you want to stop using it? If so, we're here to offer support.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I used Benadryl often when I was abusing alcohol. Especially when I was coming off a drinking binge and anxiety/insomnia were dogging me. I would take upwards of 10 tablets but still couldn't sleep. In fact, I found that after I had recovered from the booze, I would then have a Benadryl hangover that kept me in a 'fog' that much longer.

I guess I was just using Benadryl for the same reason I drank. To numb myself and turn off my mind. Never bought Benadryl because I had bad allergies that's for sure. It may not be physically addictive, but I saw a psychological dependence developing after a while.

Maybe ask yourself why you feel the need to 'zone out' with Benadryl. Stress and anxiety? Address what's at the root and you may not need to use Benadryl. Exercise, therapy, healthy eating can make a difference.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I think Benadryl was the first drug I abused....even as a teen. In my mid 20's (45 now) I ended up going through perhaps 72 tylenol pm in less than 3 days (same ingredient). Glad my liver survived.

I would say, look at the root cause of the anxiety that makes you want to take these drugs. You are setting a dangerous precedent on how you deal with problems. Perhaps seek a counselor or therapist that you can discuss this with. Just my .02.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:09 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I agree my anxiety is probably the root of it. I know there are healthier options. It is just easier, I guess, to take the other stuff. I would love more than anything to be able to deal with this in a better way. I know in my head what to do, but when I feel the anxiety and stress I make poor choices. I am sure that is nothing new to anyone here.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi wheezie.

Have you tried breathing exercises or maybe taking a walk to try to ease this anxiety?

I agree with soberwolf maybe worth a call to the doc
Old 01-14-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
Hi wheezie.

Have you tried breathing exercises or maybe taking a walk to try to ease this anxiety?

I agree with soberwolf maybe worth a call to the doc
I like your quote. That is the truth. I think I will call tomorrow. I think I have quite a few "triggers" that I need to deal with and that may help talking to someone about other techniques to deal with this. I am sure it is MUCH deeper than just what I wrote today.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

There are many things...new move, new job, moving my children to new schools...whole new lifestyle. It is overwhelming and on top of anxiety issues I already have.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:22 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
p***enger

I took a lot of benadryl at night after I'd been drinking all day. You build up a tolerance to it pretty fast which is probably why you're using the Nyquil too. I think if you don't get a handle on reducing your anxiety in a healthier way, your use might very well progress. I hope you talk to a professional about natural ways to handle anxiety. You sound busy and I'm sure time is an issue, but there are great things like online yoga classes that you could do for just a few minutes in the early morning and before bed that might help you feel more centered.
Old 01-14-2015, 04:44 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

I used to get a benadryl hangover because I took too much. Now I don't take it at all. I'd rather have a bit of anxiety or sleeplessness than that foggy feeling it gave me.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:55 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I do hate that foggy feeling. It makes me feel guilty, too. I don't know why I do it. It frustrates me so much.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:57 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
p***enger

Originally Posted by wheezie View Post
I do hate that foggy feeling. It makes me feel guilty, too. I don't know why I do it. It frustrates me so much.
Doing the same thing over & over again expecting different results is kind of one of the definitions of addiction. A lot of addiction is psychological compulsion. A good therapist can help you overcome unwanted compulsive behaviors. Good luck!
Old 01-14-2015, 05:59 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

I like your quote. That is the truth. I think I will call tomorrow. I think I have quite a few "triggers" that I need to deal with and that may help talking to someone about other techniques to deal with this. I am sure it is MUCH deeper than just what I wrote today.
Thanks wheezie it's one of my all time favorite quotes and one that I live by!

I think you're making a good decision.

Hang in there you'll get this sorted out!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:03 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

I agree my anxiety is probably the root of it. I know there are healthier options. It is just easier, I guess, to take the other stuff. I would love more than anything to be able to deal with this in a better way. I know in my head what to do, but when I feel the anxiety and stress I make poor choices. I am sure that is nothing new to anyone here.
Hey Wheezie, welcome to SR. Glad you're here with us. As a fellow anxiety sufferer, I know how you feel. You look forward to the relief from sometimes unrelenting thoughts and worry (about specific things and sometimes nothing at all). I did that with alcohol and it did the job great...until it didn't. Then my anxiety shot through the roof.

Now that I sober, I'm having to face my underlying anxiety and process it. While no cake walk, it's better than what I was doing before.

Hang in there!
Old 01-14-2015, 06:19 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Administrator

Welcome Wheezie

I've seen peeps here addicted to all three things you mention at one time or another so I know you'll find support here

D
Old 01-14-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Sounds like escape. If nothing else I understand that longing. It doesn't matter the habit, it is the same thing, and causes the same problems and sure isn't healthy.

Welcome, you are among people who understand. Work on finding another way to escape the stress, but keep removing the stress or how you deal with it in mind. There are many professionals who can help you, and we are here to support you through your journey.