Notices

Day 14

Old 01-14-2015, 01:26 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Chances

Day 14

This is my 14th day of abstinence.
Its been quite different to what I imagined.

I thought 2 weeks would mean a great deal to me. Instead I feel 'how sad that such an insignificant period of time was suppose to be big'. No so much sour grapes but more a kick at myself for putting myself here. After drinking most days for 20 years I suppose 2 weeks is trivial.

I thought cravings would be murderous. Instead I find the greatest challenge is dealing with tiredness and fatigue. I haven't exercised in days and can see this and unhealthy eating dragging my mental state down.

A neighbour (another drinker) who had a lot of support in me at first has indicated I should have a `day off' this weekend. Like some sort of reward. I imagine it's more fear of being left to walk his own path as opposed to real support of my efforts now. Alcohol is really a mind poison.

Anyway - the month and year is far from over and so I'll try to harness this fatigue and sleep the 14 day out now. cheers
Old 01-14-2015, 01:36 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Member

I am day 14 too and it also very different from what I expected. I expected, I would be climbing the walls about now, but the opposite really. Day 14 or day 400,014 a life without alcohol is behind me and I for one are not going back for anything.

Congrats on 2 weeks sober and cheer up, you could of still be drinking your life away. This is a good news day and milestone.

Well done
Old 01-14-2015, 02:06 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Well done on 2 weeks! That brilliant and certainly not trivial.

The tiredness and fatigue will eventually go but you should be proud - getting to two weeks sober after so many years drinking isnt an easy job.

Yay.

Leigh x
Old 01-14-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

way to go ChancesAh and Lancashire

D
Old 01-14-2015, 02:27 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Chances

Hey Leigh,

Did you ever suffer or hear of persons suffering fatigue and tiredness as a withdrawal symptom.
Hit me hard 4 to 5 days ago. The first 3 days I exhausted and felt like collapsing. I thought maybe carbs, vitamins, meds which were all 2 weeks plus. It's eased a little now but I still struggle to stay awake during the day when I use to function fine on 6 hours sleep. Running / gym and exercise are also over for now.

Its just not a something I had heard or so hitting me unexpected it has caught me off guard.
Old 01-14-2015, 02:29 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Congrats on 2 weeks sober!!!!!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:35 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Two weeks is not trivial. It is THE most difficult period to get through. Slowly it will get better and what you are experiencing will pass. Whatever you do, don't 'reward' yourself. As an exercise, why not imagine what would happen if you did that? What would be the consequences? How long would the 'reward' last?
I'm over a hundred days and occasionally I'll have a stupid thought about just having one. So then I think about what that would turn into and it's easy now for me to say no to the AV.

Hang in there. You're doing great!
Old 01-14-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It's not trivial the first two are tough. I almost relapsed at day 10 glad now I didn't. Some people with the best intentions can't make it 2 days let alone 2 weeks. Good job!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ChancesAh View Post
Hey Leigh,

Did you ever suffer or hear of persons suffering fatigue and tiredness as a withdrawal symptom.
Hit me hard 4 to 5 days ago. The first 3 days I exhausted and felt like collapsing. I thought maybe carbs, vitamins, meds which were all 2 weeks plus. It's eased a little now but I still struggle to stay awake during the day when I use to function fine on 6 hours sleep. Running / gym and exercise are also over for now.

Its just not a something I had heard or so hitting me unexpected it has caught me off guard.
Well I certainly had severe tiredness but was so frustrated as I couldnt sleep, I literally couldnt keep my eyes open most days. I had to work too so it was hard going. I slept, ate, worked and had baths in the first few weeks. Got to meetings when I could etc and was on here ALOT!

I started exercising again and that really helped too. Just be good to yourself for a wee while and dont expect so much from yourself. Let your body heal! After so long drinking it does take time.

These days I have more energy that ever (and I'm pregnant) it does pass and if you feel its not shifting go see your doc.

L x
Old 01-14-2015, 03:10 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by Foolsgold186 View Post
Well I certainly had severe tiredness but was so frustrated as I couldnt sleep, I literally couldnt keep my eyes open most days. I had to work too so it was hard going. I slept, ate, worked and had baths in the first few weeks. Got to meetings when I could etc and was on here ALOT!

I started exercising again and that really helped too. Just be good to yourself for a wee while and dont expect so much from yourself. Let your body heal! After so long drinking it does take time.

These days I have more energy that ever (and I'm pregnant) it does pass and if you feel its not shifting go see your doc.

L x
CONGRATULATIONS - What fantastic news. This has made my day reading this. Life doesn't get any better than this. Well done. My most Kindest Regards to you on your news.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:16 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

This is my 14th day of abstinence.
Its been quite different to what I imagined.

I thought 2 weeks would mean a great deal to me. Instead I feel 'how sad that such an insignificant period of time was suppose to be big'. No so much sour grapes but more a kick at myself for putting myself here. After drinking most days for 20 years I suppose 2 weeks is trivial.

I thought cravings would be murderous. Instead I find the greatest challenge is dealing with tiredness and fatigue. I haven't exercised in days and can see this and unhealthy eating dragging my mental state down.

A neighbour (another drinker) who had a lot of support in me at first has indicated I should have a `day off' this weekend. Like some sort of reward. I imagine it's more fear of being left to walk his own path as opposed to real support of my efforts now. Alcohol is really a mind poison.

Anyway - the month and year is far from over and so I'll try to harness this fatigue and sleep the 14 day out now. cheers
Don't take the 'day off' its a classic relapse move. You're doing well! Congratulations! It gets better I promise. Better and better and better.
Old 01-14-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

No way listen to that neighbour!
Lock the door if he drops by with a "reward" for you!
Well done on 14 days!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:20 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hey Leigh,

It's totally normal. Part of it is your body not having the usual caloric and sugar spike of alcohol pumped into it steadily. Part of it is simple withdrawal of a substance you are dependent on. This will lessen, then may return at random intervals. It will take some patience and also some action. Begin introducing some new light physical activity to your daily routine. Even a simple walk will be a good start. In time - and sooner than you know - your energy will not only return but will increase! Markedly.

In my case, some of the tiredness and fatigue was also emotional. Long buried, my emotions arose and created a lot of turbulence. Counseling and working the steps helped that.

Well done and hang in there!
Old 01-14-2015, 03:25 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done Chances & Lancashire on 14 days each thats superb keep up the good work
Old 01-14-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

It's common to be really tired. As you said, two weeks is a tiny amount of time.

I know for me I would have to avoid my neighbour if they encouraged me to have a weekend off.

Many congrats BTW