Notices

Day two

Old 01-13-2015, 11:09 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
02.27.15 :): ▽VII△VIII

Day two

It was a bad scene.

I'm trying to get everything back on track, but I still feel so disoriented and just straight up scared. I feel vulnerable because it seemed like I had no control, it just got me. I'm used to being able to think through things and make sense of them, but I'm having a hard time getting a grip on this. I don't know what I did wrong. Everything was fine, and then something minor came along, and I just lost it.

I don't know. I'm feeling pretty bad still.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:14 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it's important not to dwell on it too much - learn whatever lessons you can for sure, but beating yourself up is fruitless.

Look at your support - is it enough - do you use it effectively? do you need to change any thing in your lifestyle or reactions to things?

I've been away for a while - did you end up talking to anyone - Dr, counsellor etc - before you drank?

I think we have to cover all bases if we want to stay sober

D
Old 01-13-2015, 11:25 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Dee, no I didn't talk to anyone. I just got upset and went straight to the store. I was completely focused on getting it done as quickly as possible. I was firmly dismissive of any other options, if I even considered them, and I don't recall whether I did. Part of why I'm so freaked out by it is because I'm not sure what went wrong, why I responded that way. I've handled worse situations without drinking.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I think it was building for a long time, don't you?

D
Old 01-14-2015, 01:35 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Hi Briar
I'm on day 1. Again. We can do this. Hugs xx
Old 01-14-2015, 02:11 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi Briar,

Sorry for what you're going through. When I was first trying to get sober i seriously struggled - if I wanted to drink nobody was going to stop me. Come hell or high water if I wanted to drink I was going to. Eventually I got so tired, I was continiously hurting myself and it just wasnt worth it anymore. You have to get to that point, being tired of doing the same thing over and over with the same feelings and results.

I had to learn other techniques to keep the thoughts at bay. AA, SR, reaching out helps.

Your back and thats all that matters - you can do this.

Wishing you well.

L x
Old 01-14-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Briar ((()))

Ok, so you made a mistake. What can you learn from that ? it's an opportunity to add armour to your sobriety plan.

xx
Old 01-14-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hello Briar sorry that happened

Dont beat yourself up but learn from this reach out when you need to

Retweak your sobriety plan & move forward
Old 01-14-2015, 04:22 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Hi.

For too long I was where you are now struggling. Fortunately my time period from 4-10PM was free and I got swallowed up in AA meetings. Being undisciplined it took time to see the error of MY ways by continuous attendance.

Discovered years ago, to be successful we need to really want to be sober, be honest with our self about our drinking and accept the fact that we cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row.

It works IF we work it, never mind the wishy washy “I don’t like it.” Usually when we to the things we don’t want to do there is a great feeling of accomplishment.

BE WELL
Old 01-14-2015, 05:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I have done daily AA to stay sober. It worked until I didn't want to be sober anymore. I now use mostly SR but will probably go today as I have a baby/dogsitter. I also ascribe to AVRT philosophy. Whatever works. I think just filling holes of time spent drinking in the beginning is hard. Everything else to do sans alcohol got shorted out in my head cuz I had to adjust everything to include it. I'm still "trying" most of life sober. Total beginner at age 53. Thanks for coming back so soon.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:22 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
I think it was building for a long time, don't you?

D
I don't know, was it? I thought I was doing a pretty good job. Apparently I was doing it wrong.
Old 01-14-2015, 07:36 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

((((Dear Briar)))).

Sometimes we can scale those mountains in no time and others we loose traction by a grain of sand in our shoe.

It is amazing how easily we can be blindsided by our own reactions.

Great advice above.

You can make this a mere bump on the road, Briar; get back up and keep moving forward.

You can and will do this.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Briar, you don't need to understand all the detail of what happened and ill apart all the strands. You can drop the bottle and talk it out while you stay sober. When you are ready the pieces will fall back into place. Its a time to chill about it not stress.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Toss the bottle ,get some rest , hut the reset button...You've got this , it doesn't have you... OK...
Old 01-14-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Originally Posted by Briar View Post
I don't know, was it? I thought I was doing a pretty good job. Apparently I was doing it wrong.
It wasn't an accusatory statement. Blame my clumsiness.

I was just thinking back to other threads and other posts. You seemed to be often overwrought, often at the end of your tether.

Again I'm not saying you're doing anything wrong - I just wonder why you haven't sought help for everything?

If you feel it was a sudden thing tho then maybe I'm seeing patterns that don't exist and in that case I apologise.

D
Old 01-14-2015, 08:36 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

No no, Dee, I took no offense. You're right that I'm always kind of overwhelmed. I don't like that about myself. I'm not sure how to change it.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:41 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

Phew I'm glad. I haven't been here for a week so I could very well be way off beam

I think it's really important to learn to reach out tho - I had to do that not only with regards to alcoholism but also with my 'awfulising' and my negative thoughts too...working on just one side never worked for me - it was all interconnected.

D
Old 01-14-2015, 08:50 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

Hi Briar!

Dee posted this link earlier:

3 Warning Signs to Detect a Relapse BEFORE It Happens
Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

No you're right on. I'm sorry my comeback was a little harsh. I'm just feeling awful and am tired of complaining about feeling awful because nobody wants to hear that crap. I feel like I should feel better by now. I've got plenty of people trying to help me, and I feel like I'm trying. But it's not getting better, and now I think I don't know what I'm doing at all.
Old 01-14-2015, 08:52 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
Sometimes we can scale those mountains in no time and others we loose traction by a grain of sand in our shoe.
This.