Notices

Wife and son going away for a few days.

Old 01-13-2015, 07:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wife and son going away for a few days.

This coming Sunday I'll be 60 days sober. My wife and son are going to my in laws tomorrow until Sunday. In the past this was party-fest for me. A chance to catch up with my friends and bar hop and get blackout drunk.

I know I'm not going to drink. My av is licking his chops though. Thoughts on how to make extra sure I'm not going to be tempted?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi David! Are there meetings you can go to? Anyone you can spend time with who does not drink? And you can always hang out here.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:38 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I can understand that. You really don't want to start over though bud. I relapsed after 89 days. AV will tell you it's just this time but if you give in you give alcohol power over you. Draw a line in sand, put your foot down and make a strong commitment to yourself that alcohol is not an option. Do something special for yourself while they are gone
Old 01-13-2015, 07:40 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Rent all the movies your wife doesn't want to watch with you and all the junk food she doesn't like you eating and just go to town.

When my family goes out of town, and they leave for two to three weeks at a time, it was a time to see how drunk I could get, how high I could get, and how much I could sleep. It was a walking talking breathing $h!t show. It would also involve at least one trip to las vegas or laughlin to gamble drink and get high.

So I totally feel what it is like during those times. Good luck I haven't yet have to test myself in that situation.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:41 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats on 60 days stick close to SR meet up with trusted friends ?

Mtns ? buy a new book ?

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html
Old 01-13-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Magsie

Hi David, I used to love it when I knew I'd be on my own for a while so I could drink to blotto.

I felt overcome with joy a few months ago when I had holiday day to wait in for furniture arriving and it came at 8 am ish, I had the rest of the day to.....then I realised my av was on my back so I kicked it off and went shopping, oh and ate ice cream.

Congratulations on the upcoming 60 days sober.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

If I am alone without the kids around I try to keep busy, busy, busy. I go to AA meetings that I've wanted to attend but haven't because I don't have a babysitter. I come on here, especially the weekender support thread. I think of something I'm interested in doing out of the house that doesn't involve alcohol and then go do it.

It was hard at first because it felt like a free pass to drink with no one knowing the difference. Except that I knew the difference. Congratulations on sixty days! That's great.
Old 01-13-2015, 07:55 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I would definitely need to commit to completing a project during that time alone. Paint a room, build some shelves, clean out the attic, something that takes time and energy and that needs to be completed before family returns. Boredom, aimlessness and loneliness get me into trouble. Got anything that you've been putting off that needs doing?
Old 01-13-2015, 07:58 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Huge temptation/excuse for me too. Good idea to make a specific plan, and stay close to SR. My partner just took a new job that is going to require lots of travel, so I need to start making an active plan around this too.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. Here's a list of things I plan on doing:
Gym twice per day
Massage everyday
Rent studio time and go work on some music
Just signed up for an investment seminar all day sat
Clean out the baby's room closet
Go to the movies
Go to the city and catch a last minute show

Man, sounds like a fun weekend! Thanks again
Old 01-13-2015, 08:25 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Great list! Sounds like you have a good plan!!!
Old 01-13-2015, 08:26 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
quat

That sounds like great weekend, enjoy it. The Av is an annoying bassturd, and unfortunately it's not always up to the rational side whether temptation is presented or whispered, but it sure as heck is up to our rational selves to tell it to bugger off.
Enjoy all those activities, they really do sound fantastic, and if temptation rears its ugly head tell it to go pound sand. Feeling tempted isn't any kind of failing or backsliding, squashing it with total denial is sober muscle building , you got this , enjoy.
Old 01-13-2015, 08:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

DWTBD has great advice! And if you feel tempted, come onto SR and post. I've done that more than once to give my AV a punch in the nose, and it has worked great!!
Old 01-13-2015, 09:45 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I will throw in that the best feeling is completion the time when you COULD have drank and didn't... Good luck!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:02 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi David

I just decided to be an adult about it - I didn't buy booze, I didn't hang around booze or drinkers and I reached for help if I needed it.

I think our recovery has to work when we're on our own - if it only works when others are around, it's gonna let you down.

I'm sure you can do this
Old 01-13-2015, 11:03 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi David

I just decided to be an adult about it - I didn't buy booze, I didn't hang around booze or drinkers and I reached for help if I needed it.

I think our recovery has to work when we're on our own - if it only works when others are around, it's gonna let you down one day - y'know?

I'm sure you can do this

D
Old 01-14-2015, 02:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Dee74 View Post
Hi David I just decided to be an adult about it - I didn't buy booze, I didn't hang around booze or drinkers and I reached for help if I needed it. I think our recovery has to work when we're on our own - if it only works when others are around, it's gonna let you down. I'm sure you can do this
so true! I was sober 2 months on the dot when I left on my business trip last week. My own hotel room, alone after 5 wife and kids at home. I had the opportunity to fail without anyone knowing and I didn't. It wasn't even hard instead of drinking myself drunk I went shopping, watched some movies, prepared myself much better for work than when I was a drinker, I didn't even really think about the drinking good luck
Old 01-14-2015, 10:23 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I think you have a great plan...

This is really interesting to me, because I am single, so every single day of my sobriety is like this - no one cares whether or not I drink except me....

There are probably a lot of us in that situation!

This will be a very meaningful weekend for you, because when you throw your arms around your sweetie upon her return, she will recognize a man who chose to stay sober because that's who he is. You likely won't even have to tell her; she'll feel it. It will be very attractive...
Old 01-14-2015, 11:38 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good point, Heartcore - and if you cleaned out the baby's closet - well, watch out! Cleaning on a man is very sexy!!
Sounds like a great weekend you have planned, and none of it would be acceptable hung over. You got this!
Old 01-14-2015, 11:53 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Commit yourself to something EVERY day and see it through.

I would recommend AA meetings, but that's just me.

I foresaw my last relapse into drinking...2 weeks with Condo to myself NO ONE around, along with an extended break from work. It had land mine written all over it.

I foresaw it...I *thought* i made a plan. I didn't want to be left alone. I wanted to go to AA everyday.

Day 2 hit...And well i went away from my plan. Drank for 5 of 7 days...From wake till sleep. Quite a scary nosedive.

I'm only 8 days sober now. Wish i could go back in time but can't.

Commit to something. ANYTHING everyday.

Just my $0.02