Notices

Help and suggestions on sugar cravings pls

Old 01-13-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Exclamation Sugar Cravings

Hi,
I am 377 sober. And thanks to god I am so happy. There is one problem. I am having these unstoppable sugar cravings. Before I never thought of eating any deserts or anything. But since I quit drinking all I am thinking of is cakes, deserts, waffles, chocolate. I can eat two times a day. What are your suggestions? Because I know sugar is as dangerous as alcohol as well
Thank you so much.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
~sb

start eating three well balanced meals each day and the sugar cravings will lessen.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I went on a diet around month 8/9 for 3 months i had no junk food whatsoever no treats etc

after my diet i realised having a balanced and varied diet was best

I also agree with SB's post
Old 01-13-2015, 04:01 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

sugarbear1 I eat very healthy believe me. Sugar cravings are something else. I am actually a pesco vegetarian meaning I don't eat red meat and chicken. But wanting sweets is totally independent of my healthy three main one or two middle course eating plan. ((
Old 01-13-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

sober wolf please read my statement above. I eat very healthy no white bread, vegetarian (except fish and dairy) , I exercise 3 days a week each 1 hour 45 m. But still crave sugar. I think this started after I quit. Before I was getting the sugar from alcohol. This is how I am interpreting
Old 01-13-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh, I'd have to say much less dangerous than booze. Perhaps give in a bit? They have light and fit Greek yogurt now in flavors like moca, chocolate covered strawberry, etc. Maybe you could give yourself a treat that isn't too bad for you and kill the cravings?
Old 01-13-2015, 04:14 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
~sb

I think two dum dums lollipops have 51 calories. try hard candy
Old 01-13-2015, 04:17 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Mia did you mean to say 377 days sober? Bcause that is a long time to be battling sugar cravings!

Also I don't think you need to worry about dangers of sugar nearly as much as alcohol as long as your not consuming massive amounts of sugary foods.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

I went on a diet around 8/9 months and i cut out all junk food sugary foods

I think 2/3 Sq meals is a good idea

I started to eat loads of veg and stuck to lean meats like chicken & turkey dieting serioysly helped me with cutting down on sugar and weight loss

now i have a balanced varied diet and that suits me best im not overweight and im a lot happier food wise
Old 01-13-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Do your best

I went on a diet around 8/9 months and i cut out all junk food sugary foods

I think 2/3 Sq meals is a good idea

I started to eat loads of veg and stuck to lean meats like chicken & turkey dieting serioysly helped me with cutting down on sugar and weight loss

now i have a balanced varied diet and that suits me best im not overweight and im a lot happier food wise
Old 01-13-2015, 04:36 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I found that increasing the amount of protein I eat made a huge difference. My cravings were massive but I have a small protein shake made with a banana and soy or rice milk and it keeps me satisfied for ages
Old 01-13-2015, 04:37 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Administrator

You could also try sugarless chewing gum or some kind of hard candies to help with the sugar cravings.

Have you talked to your dr about this problem?
Old 01-13-2015, 04:38 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Hi Mia -

When i quit, all of my 'vices' flared and I started new ones like sugar and coffee.

I didnt like the 'craving' feel to them, so i am working on eliminating them in year 2 as I feel motivated by using the same approach that worked fir me for alcohol - cold turkey, feel uncomfortable for 2 weeks, practice urge surfing, etc until cravings are gone.

Again, i dislike the feeling of craving more than the effects of sugar, so ypu may find a different approach with sugar free candy to be more satisfying.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:40 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SereneEdition View Post
Hi Mia -

When i quit, all of my 'vices' flared and I started new ones like sugar and coffee.

I didnt like the 'craving' feel to them, so i am working on eliminating them in year 2 as I feel motivated by using the same approach that worked fir me for alcohol - cold turkey, feel uncomfortable for 2 weeks, practice urge surfing, etc until cravings are gone.

Again, i dislike the feeling of craving more than the effects of sugar, so ypu may find a different approach with sugar free candy to be more satisfying.
The thing is I hate things that are sugar free. I feel like they are chemicals. Right now I can't think of surviving without sweets. I wish a substitute would exist. They say cinnamon takes the craving away. Not for me. I wish there was something sweet which is not so unhealthy (
Old 01-13-2015, 04:41 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I started drinking lots of coffee as well
Old 01-13-2015, 04:47 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Mia have you tried eating a piece of fruit to curb these cravings?

I agree with Anna maybe consult with the doctor about this
Old 01-13-2015, 04:54 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Administrator

I found fruit and simple sugars helped

D
Old 01-13-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I also have a sweet tooth, probably one reason I drank and had difficulty stopping after 2 or 3. I often would eat a dessert after a couple glasses of wine at dinner and it would quell any further alcohol cravings. I think the link between blood sugar issues and excessive drinking is under-researched.

That said, we have to deal with the sweet tooth. In my opinion moderation doesn't work too well, because even a little sugar starts the blood sugar cycle for those of us who are sensitive. And makes us want more. And sugar is in so many processed foods also. And yes, my fasting glucose levels are always normal, no diabetes or anything, normal weight.

Best to just eliminate all of it, starting with the biggest offenders like soda, ice cream, and candy. Then tackling processed foods, baked goods, sugar in coffee, etc. That leaves a few natural things like honey for tea, and whole fruit, which in my opinion and most research is probably okay. Some fruits like bananas maybe not.

Personally, I've gotten rid of most of it but still have some trouble with baked goodies once in a while, and the occasional can of fruit cocktail, lol. I've heard that if you can eliminate it all for a few weeks the sweet cravings will disappear. Haven't got that far yet.

For me this is like quitting alcohol - again, because I believe a similar mechanism is at work. The blood sugar cycle.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mns1 View Post
Mia have you tried eating a piece of fruit to curb these cravings?

I agree with Anna maybe consult with the doctor about this
Tomorrow I will see my doctor and consult.
I tried most of your suggestions like trying to eat fruit. Even banana doesn't work I want to eat cake. Like today at 11pm I ate waffles with nutella. I tried the bitter chocolate. Doesn't work. I checked my sugar and insulin levels. They are ok. I tried the honey in tea. I want to pour abnormal quantity of honey.
I think best is to cut all at once (
So hard
Old 01-13-2015, 05:24 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Administrator

Let us know what the dr says mia

D