Notices

What are my dreams telling me?

Old 01-14-2015, 12:37 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

haennie,

I've always been interested in lucid dreaming ever since I read the Carlos Castaneda books in my teens but have never been able to do it! I've had sleep paralysis where I've realized I was dreaming and then started to wake up and could not move for a few seconds or minutes... Pretty scary. I've been looking into trying the sensory dep float tanks that are starting to make a big splash in a few cities. I've heard that after around 40 minutes in them one can experience some waking type dreams and its supposed to be very therapeutic as well as a boost for creativity. I've looked into it in my city and there is a place that charges 65$ for a 90 minute session. Lots of stuff on the net about these things.

This is an excellent description of the experience and benefits by Joe Rogan.

http://youtu.be/KeqmKwsvM58

I just gotta book it, but kinda apprehensive...

Anyway sorry for straying off topic this stuff just fascinates me.

Thanks for all the responses everybody. I was spared the drinking dreams last night. But I have a whole new perspective on these dreams thanks to you guys.

Last edited by Justincredible; 01-14-2015 at 12:42 PM. Reason: spelling and grammer
Old 01-14-2015, 12:42 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

ok kiddo
1. don't eat before you go to bed.....
2. no coffee before you go to bed....
3. if you can turn off the tv before you fall asleep...( Ed left it on the other night, I dreamed we were squrril's in a tree to wake up and I am looking at Animal Planet and our Cats are looking at me like I am nuts.. kekekekekeekke

Dreams they can mean so much.. wow your Brain is a billion tiny electric cicutes and they have been dead or off for so long.. and now as you get better one by one the Lights are coming back on. hahhahha no kidding... and then they say as you get older more of the past becomes realer then something from today..

hugs and prayers and start writing down what you remember from the dream...could be a good story book movie or radio show there. hugs ardy...
Old 01-14-2015, 01:15 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Thanks ardy,

I am noticing that eating too much or too little before bed has a bad effect ln my sleep. I will be mindful of my before bed snack. Maybe just a yogurt or something.
Im way sensitive to coffee now too so I cut that off after 5pm.
I have been also recommended by a counsellor I saw last month to write my dreams down, you just reminded me of that! I think I will because some of them are so amazing that I couldn't write them while awake even if I tried! Thats another positive habit I could start. Maybe it will push me into writing again.
Old 01-14-2015, 05:45 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Hey guys.

Okay, so it sounds like a few of us are interested in the strange world of dreams...

Brain: I experience that very often, I wake up from a dream somewhat (sometimes in that sleep paralysis state Justin described, or even fully), and then can re-enter the previous dream scene... or a slightly different version. Sometimes this happens quite a few times in a sequence. Usually in the early morning hours. There are also the states known as "false awakening", or "dream within a dream" -- kinda like Groundhog Day asleep

Justin: yeah I often have sleep paralysis experiences, especially since I trained myself for lucid dreaming, and they occur especially predictably when I'm undergoing quite intense stress during the day or am very anxious about something. Stress/anxiety is quite well known to induce these kinds of states in people who are prone to it.
Also, the isolation tanks: I go to a place quite regularly here in NYC to do this. It's a public spa. I love it! One can adjust the experience, i.e. complete sensory deprivation in full dark and 100% isolated from noises, or dim light, relaxing music, etc. It's very relaxing and therapeutic for me. And so are lucid dreams; I even enjoy the sleep paralysis experiences usually quite a lot.
Aren't these some of the safest ways to experience "altered states" for those that are interested, totally naturally and safely? It does not even take extra time

For those that are interested in the lucid dreams and related stuff, I recommend Stephen LaBerge's book:
Exploring the World of Lucid Dreaming: Stephen LaBerge, Howard Rheingold: 9780345374103: Amazon.com: Books
He was the one that provided one of the first convincing pieces of scientific evidence for the dream consciousness from the external, observer view in a lab.
I also went to a course several years ago that they run every year in Hawaii:
DREAMING AND AWAKENING: Lucid Dreaming, Consciousness, and Dream Yoga
One of my best vacations ever! Lots of interesting experiments, discussions in a beautiful environment in the middle of a tropical forest, group excursions etc. With interesting, like-minded people. I recommend it to anyone who is interested in dreams and otherwise exploring the mind, and is willing to invest some cash into it.
Old 01-15-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

haennie,

Thanks for the links, I would absolutely love to go to Hawaii for this!! I think I am going to order the book and read up on this a bit more. Sounds very interesting. I cannot imagine "liking" sleep paralysis! But if it can be done this type of thing could be therapeutic and the introspection is exactly what I need to do. I also am thinking of other retreats in Peru or Costa Rica to do some serious work on myself emotionally, spiritually through plant medicine. But I am making sure my intent is pure. Really I am on the fence with that though.

I had another dream last night of partying it up but I do not remember actually DRINKING, but my standards were lowered and I was going to bars and parties I never otherwise would! But, I am not down about it at all, if anything my resolve is strengthened!
Old 01-15-2015, 01:53 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I find dreams fascinating but scary. For the last few years I get episodes of sleep paralysis and multiple false awakenings and they're the most scary thing. Some mornings I've woken up with a strained throat from trying to shout out to wake myself up or I'll dream I've gone outside and seen a friend and I'm trying to shout to them to wake me up but nothing comes out. Sometimes I know in a way I'm asleep and sometimes I don't and then sometimes when I really do eventually wake up for real I think I'm still asleep. Love to know why this happens. If dreams mean something then I think I'd rather not find out lol x