Notices

Wentr to a Bar today -people amaze me.

Old 01-13-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Wentr to a Bar today -people amaze me.

One of my clients is a restaurant and BAR. A nice bar actually.
I was waiting to speak with the manager a few minutes - I started to people watch.
I watched a man sip his beer.Then put it down (!!!!!) Yup - apparently folks this is actually possible!!!!

This :
confounds me
Makes me Jealous.
Makes me wish I were Him.(well not really- Why sip- even if you "can"?)
makes me realize that I am here- now posting this - and he had one beer in one hour(?)cause he and I are different....and thats OK.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:18 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Awesome post Livingnow you can see a clear diffrence between an alcoholic & a non alcoholic

This is good because it confirms that we just cant drink like that

When you say your client is a bar restraunt what does that mean bud ?
Old 01-13-2015, 03:23 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks SW- I sell a product many restaurants use.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:28 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Acceptance in nutshell.

Nice post livingnow!
Old 01-13-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Livingnow
Old 01-13-2015, 03:29 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I was out to dinner with my family and observed a few women out to dinner together. They each got a different flavored martini. I watched them sip them so slowly and thought similar thoughts.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Yup. Seen it many times. I always wondered why my tab was always triple everyone else's when I went out. Funny story, a local bar/restaurant has a loyalty program. Made platinum while rarely eating there. Gee Bob, think you got a problem?
Old 01-13-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by livingnow View Post
One of my clients is a restaurant and BAR. A nice bar actually.
I was waiting to speak with the manager a few minutes - I started to people watch.
I watched a man sip his beer.Then put it down (!!!!!) Yup - apparently folks this is actually possible!!!!

This :
confounds me
Makes me Jealous.
Makes me wish I were Him.(well not really- Why sip- even if you "can"?)
makes me realize that I am here- now posting this - and he had one beer in one hour(?)cause he and I are different....and thats OK.
It IS okay, isn't! I used to wish that I was a normie; now I truly care. I am happy in my alcoholic in recovery skin.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:37 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

When my wife doesn't finish her one glass wine I tell her that is alcohol abuse
Old 01-13-2015, 03:51 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In Stephen King's memoir "On Writing" he mentions watching a woman order a glass of wine, gently sip it, and close her tab leaving the remaining drink on the table

His AV blew up, making him want to yell at this patron "just FINISH it! You ordered a drink! Why would you not FINISH it!"

For anyone, like myself, struggling daily with the urge to drink, Kings memoir is both fascinating and so very familiar.
Old 01-13-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by SoberLeigh View Post
It IS okay, isn't! I used to wish that I was a normie; now I truly DON'T care. I am happy in my alcoholic in recovery skin.
This is how my post should have read.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:45 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have to admit when I went out to restaurants I never had more than two glasses of wine total...many times I was so busy talking, I had still had a full glass of wine at the end of the meal! Sometimes appearances can be deceiving. I was more of a isolated drinker. But it is interesting to view how others drink.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by sillysuzanfree View Post
I have to admit when I went out to restaurants I never had more than two glasses of wine total...many times I was so busy talking, I had still had a full glass of wine at the end of the meal! Sometimes appearances can be deceiving. I was more of a isolated drinker. But it is interesting to view how others drink.
This is true of me as well. I am very guarded of public perception and a dui would cost me more than a fine. I always preferred the isolated dulling of reality to public. That's not to say it never ever happened but it was rare and normally not in my local comfort zone.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Yup seen it a few times now... Too bad I will never be that way. Heck, I went to a bar last week and drank 4 odouls in an hour. Now, that might not sound like much or may sound like too much but the point is the way I drank hasn't changed I suck them down. Could be water or coke I'll drink the same way. Always have always will so alcohol is out of the question. Guess I'm wired that way.
Old 01-13-2015, 11:39 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
The Little Alcoholic Monstress That Could

Thank you for this valuable reminder today!
Old 01-13-2015, 11:56 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

I had dinner with my wife last night. She spent two hours nursing a small glass or wine while I drank a litre of diet coke. At the end of the meal she had half of it still remaining and threw it out. She just wanted a taste to compliment her food.

As usual, I struggled to believe that it is possible. Every time I see this it is a powerful reminder of my addiction. Afterwards on the way home I told her that when I was drinking I would have drank two beers to start followed by a bottle of wine in that time and would be stopping off for another bottle in the coal 7eleven. And would not consider that a drinking night.

She is not an alcoholic and I am. Simple. That will never change.
Fro me 1 sip = 1 glass = one bottle = 3 day binge = daily drinking to blackout = death.
Always will be. So, given that, lets focus on never drinking again, one day at a time.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:22 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Some of us didn't drink to oblivion. I might have had a micro brew or two before going out to dinner, then a couple of glasses of wine with dinner. Maybe 3 if it was a long, romantic dinner with my gf. Finished off with a dessert. Not so bad.

That's what made it so hard for me to quit permanently. But even that amount still did damage over time, in many ways.
Old 01-14-2015, 12:26 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober since 10th April 2012

I know just what you mean. Even now I order a large soda water because I know I'll gulp it.
Old 01-14-2015, 01:28 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Awesome post! Totally!
Old 01-14-2015, 01:42 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Can somebody explain to me what a "sip" is.

Let me get this right, your supposed to "sip" alcoholic drinks. Nurse the drinks for hours and not finish them ?

Everybody is wrong, I am right in "gulping" and "necking" down alcoholic drinks in seconds.

Thats why I am here sober and they are out there, not.

Sarcasm aside, drinking or not drinking is no longer the end of the world. I am happy now simply by not drinking. I have made a choice and I am happy I did.