SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Physical changes (I know we've been there) and sunken droopy eyes (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/356464-physical-changes-i-know-weve-been-there-sunken-droopy-eyes.html)

notgonnastoptry 01-13-2015 01:45 PM

Physical changes (I know we've been there) and sunken droopy eyes

I've read here and there about how the face of an alcoholic changes due to dehydration. It's puffy, ruddy, and terra cotta looking.

I've also read that alcoholism can cause eyes to look sunken and eyelids to droop so that ultimately, eyes look beady and squinty. I wonder if anyone else experienced this. I notice while I've been on benders, that my eyelids almost seemed wrinkled and hang down like someone 20 years my age. I can notice the difference almost as soon as I stop. Is this all in my head?

Sorry my first return post is a vanity post. In fact, I just wrote up a long reintroduction and left the page before it posted. I'm just about at the end of Day Four. My post was long, so I don't feel like writing it over immediately, but I will later.

2Wheelterror 01-13-2015 01:48 PM

I don't know i really never looked at myself in the mirror when i was drinking.

Soberwolf 01-13-2015 01:57 PM

Well done on day 4 Notgonnastoptry

Yes alcohol does all them things it improves with sober time

Anna 01-13-2015 02:02 PM

Being sober generally improves your looks.

SoberLeigh 01-13-2015 02:02 PM

Welcome back, notgonna.

Yes, alcohol wreaks havoc on our bodies from the inside out.

luvmygirls 01-13-2015 02:08 PM

I can absolutely relate to the "beady eyes." My eyes were always my best feature before I started drinking. Over time, not so much.

phoebe64 01-13-2015 02:12 PM

I get dark circles. I have them anyway, and worse when drinking. General puffiness as well.

brighterlife 01-13-2015 02:33 PM

I also avoided looking in the mirror. I did book an appointment with the optician because I thought I needed glasses, but as the fogs clearing so is my eyesight. Guess I was just not as alert as I should have been. Stomach is less bloated though

Alwyshope12 01-13-2015 03:20 PM

alcohol is like a cluster bomb, it hits so many different areas - skin, cartilage, brain, liver, pancreas, bowels, nervous system, weight gain.

DawnBeth 01-13-2015 05:03 PM

Well done on day 4 ! I am at day 13 and have noticed over the past 2 to 3 days that my face is losing the puffiness,my color is improving and my abdomen is less bloated. I can look at my face in the mirror now and actually see ME again instead of my constantly hungover miserable self-loathing bloated self from my drinking days. As an added bonus I have lost 5 lbs since giving up drinking. I was up to 1 and a half to two bottles of wine almost every night in the last year so that is a LOT of empty calories that I am not taking in on a daily basis now.Time and continued sobriety work wonders on the body so hang in there and you should start to notice some positive changes:c011: