Notices

Strange occurrence about memories and sobriety

Old 01-13-2015, 05:15 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Strange occurrence about memories and sobriety

When I was drinking, I was always thinking about the past and all the horrible things that happened in my childhood, from drinking, etc.

Just today, I woke up almost 3 weeks sober, and thought to myself that I hadn't thought about those horrible memories in a while.

I used to relive and think about those memories daily, or at least weekly, when I was drinking.

Is this part of the healing? If so, it is a nice relief to live in the present and not constantly in the past....
Old 01-13-2015, 05:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I have a similar experience although mine haven't completely disappeared. I can say that I have a certain calmness in processing the thoughts now when they do come calling.
Old 01-13-2015, 05:30 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had the same experience. When I was drinking, I could never move on, and drinking became a way for me to ignore the past, but it always came back up. No therapy or other forgiveness techniques worked. But quitting drinking absolutely helped me move in and have peace about the past.

Funny enough, when I relapsed, and had been drinking for a while, some of the same issues started to come back.....

It's not worth drinking, it brings so much bad into our lives...
Old 01-13-2015, 10:38 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

For me I definitely always looked at the negative and my past when I was drinking.

Sobriety for me definitely started a period of healing, coming to terms with my past, who I was and making a plan to create the life I wanted moving forward!!

Keep pushing through Suzie!!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I experienced similar, Suzie. Congrats on 3 weeks
Old 01-13-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Sobriety changed my perspective on so many things, including the reasons and situations which had caused negativity.

Sobriety's the gift that keeps on giving in so many ways.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:50 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

My mind goes nuts when I'm drinking. When drunk I suddenly can remember just about everything bad I've ever done in this life, even stuff from decades ago! I'm not really sure what causes this but when sober I don't have the same memories or feelings of guilt.

Really interesting. I thought this was abnormal.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Just the opposite for me. Drinking medicated memories of the past so I didn't think about them when drunk. Getting sober brought them to the surface and that's why I moved on with my Step work.. especially 4 and 5... really fast. Big motivator to get on with it.

Edit: Thinking about it... I wonder if that's the difference between a happy drunk and a mean one?