Notices

Just found this site - I'm a newcomer

Old 01-12-2015, 09:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Just found this site - I'm a newcomer

Hello everyone, I am a newcomer here & just found this site while doing a google search tonight on 'alcoholism' 'elevated liver enzymes'. I would love your support for what is going to be hard for me! I have been most likely in denial for years -- after reading quite a bit today. I think I am what is referred to as a ?? functioning alcoholic... I never miss a day of work, but I have been drinking Smirnoff Vodka 5 p.m. I think 3 drinks per night for years. I suffer from insomnia and my drinking helps me get to sleep so that I can get up every day at 6:30 a.m. (poor excuse for drinking I realize). Well, this has caught up with me now apparently, after routine bloodtests -really high elevated liver enzymes.
Another thing, and this is quite hard to admit... I would say in the maybe past four of so months or so, in the first time in my life -- I have started to have a drink in the DAYTIME on the weekends. "Have to get all the leaves out of the pool area?" -- I would have a small pineapple & vodka drink beforehand... just to get a little "buzz on" to make the job a little easier. The past four months have been the first time I have ever had alcohol in the daytime.
One more warning sign for me!!! I have found myself alternating liquor stores... so they don't realize how much I am drinking -- some place I read that if you drink triple distilled vodka it is better than other liquors as far as damage to your liver.
So, here I am in upstate NY requesting your support and advice and so and so, with my Smirnoff Vodka and ice tea last drink (SO SAD) for hopefully the last time. During the below zero temperatures, AA is out of the question right now for me. My best friend ex-husband will go to my first AA meeting, it is just too hard right now with sub-zero temperatures, so I would appreciate your support.
To me, it didn't seem like the small amount of alcohol I took throughout the years would damage my liver, but apparently it did.
Well, I am going to really really try to stop my love affair with a Smirnoff Vodka drink or two per night in love of my liver, I will miss you Smirnoff, so so sorry, you are being replaced by spring water with cut up lemon. I will continually support your stage shows in Jamaica.
Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome! Your in the right place. Lots of support here. I was in denial for the longest. Drank in daytime.night time, morning time. You won't feel judged here! Everyone is so supportive. Glad you are here!
Old 01-12-2015, 09:26 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Drop that vodka like a bad date! And don't go back,You can lean on us for support but don't be afraid to use your local facilities if the need arises,Good luck JA
Old 01-12-2015, 09:41 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Welcome WestendJA. Glad to have you on SR. Lots of great folks here that have seen your movie. Ask for help and read the posts. Join the January group.
So if I can ask you, whats your plan to stay sober and not pick up a drink.
Whats the plan tomorrow night at the time you usually poured your first one. What's the plan next time the leaves need raking, or the the driveway needs shovelling.
Whats the plan when your friends invite you out for dinner and drinks,Whats you plan when you have that voice in your head telling you it will be okay if you have just one. And that voice will be arriving soon. Believe me on that one.
Whats the plan to get healthy so the liver will repair itself.
Whats the plan tomorrow morning, next week, next month.
Get my direction here. No plan=less chance of success.
Build a plan how you are going to live your sober life, get support from family and outside. You started with SR, maybe there are others you can reach out to as well.
Work that plan every day.
I have 14 months sober today, after 45 years of heavy drinking. Lucky to be here and so so thankful. I don't have all the answers thats for sure. All I know is that I needed 3 things to get and stay sober... 1. An inspiration (higher power perhaps), 2. support from those that loved me (got that for sure). 3. sheer determination to live a liquor free existence for the years i have left on this earth. 60 now so not many more. I don't want to miss them like I did many of the last 45.
Good for you. I am happy you are here with us on this train. Let's enjoy the ride together.
Rick
Old 01-12-2015, 09:59 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi and welcome WestendJA

I live in the tropics so I don't know about freezing conditions.

I understand your point it's hard to get around right now, but how would you get your booze in these kinds of sub zero conditions?

D
Old 01-12-2015, 10:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you for all of your responses. Ok, so my plan right now is to go back to where I was in my early age 20's, no liquor absolutely NONE, just really natural smoking of marijuana once a night.
Once the weather in my area goes above 30 degrees I will see what is in my area as far as AA meetings, I just can't really deal with going out and about at my age when it is below zero degrees. So part of my problem with drinking is that I am a "night owl" but have to be at work at 8 a.m. -- so I drink so that I can go to sleep so that I can get up in time for an early 8 a.m. arrival.
Laughing about the above -- I just need an excuse not to have to get up at 7 a.m. I will definitely LOVE you peoples support - I will need it.
Definite support here for my children and grandchildren, no DWI, just love and suport them.
Old 01-12-2015, 10:43 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

I really urge you to reconsider that pot thing.

there's nothing 'natural' about pot especially these days...and if you're anything like me, you'll be thinking 'hmmm a brewski will really top this off'....

D
Old 01-13-2015, 03:59 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

You go to work in subzero temps, right? Do your shopping? These temps are not unusual in the winter where I live and life just goes on with warm clothing, boots, hats, gloves, etc. I'm officially qualified for AARP myself.

Something I've had to learn to do is be completely honest with myself. See through my own stories and excuses. It's not always easy.

Welcome to SR. You really can quit drinking and live a fulfilling sober life.
Old 01-13-2015, 04:37 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

Welcome

There is a very well known line in AA, "We thought we could find an easier softer way but we could not."

Smoking pot and making excuses about AA meetings to me sounds like you are looking for the easy way out.

Unfortunately there simply is no easy way and lord knows I tried to find one.

For me AA worked when all else failed. Today I have been sober for awhile and I still go 3 days a week.

Quiting drinking can be done but it takes a lot of commitment, willingness to change, and external support
Old 01-13-2015, 10:35 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum WestendJA!!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome, Westend, to SR.