Notices

I thought it would be easy by now!!

Old 01-12-2015, 07:56 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I thought it would be easy by now!!

I'm new to this site. I have used another site and still do. I have not had a drink for four months and no cigarettes for three months. I really thought the cravings and urges would be gone by now. I thought it would be just small passing thoughts about alcohol or smokes at this stage. I was wrong, again.

I find it really hard sometimes to keep resisting the urges. I'm getting tired of it. I guess maybe it is time to start working on the rest of my life not just quitting. Find hobbies, activities something to think about other than addictions and work.

I am suffering through depression with anxiety as well right now wich makes recovery a little hard.

Well, I guess that's enough whining for now.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:00 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Not whining just saying how you feel - there's a difference. I think you do need to fill in the time and not just let it hang open. Find something that you enjoy. Become addicted to a healthy something like working out or Eating raw or something. I don't think its good to sit there with nothing filling the space. Me. I'm going for a message to,or row to fill that night
Old 01-12-2015, 08:10 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Welcome to the site, JoeDuke. I think you hit the nail on the head with "start working on the rest of my life not just quitting." Quitting for me got a lot easier when I started working on me. When I started looking at what was triggering the urges I could work on that. Also making sure I wasn't hungry, angry, lonely tired - H.A.L.T. Those are all triggers for a lot of people. Hunger is the big one for me so I make sure I eat before I get too hungry.m another is too much caffeine without eating.

Hang around. It sometimes takes a while but it does get easier.
Old 01-12-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I'm almost 8 years into recovery, and though I'm not normal, I JUST got a "real job" and a place to live of my own.

I spent a LOT of time thinking "isn't this supposed to be easier by now?!?!"

I spend a lot of time on SR and I kept hearing about how volunteering would help. I did it and, though it took time, it led me to where I am now.

Time takes time. I can't undo what I did, but I spent quite a few years as an A and I can't undo that in a short amount of time.

I had to struggle to remember what I used to enjoy, but I did remember.

Don't give up!! I also have struggled with depression and anxiety, got a doctor who knows my history and helps me out.

Life isn't a bowl of cherries, for me, but it's what most people would call "normal".

Hugs and prayers,

Amy
Old 01-12-2015, 08:12 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am in AA and there are people in there that have 20+ years of sobriety and still get the urge. You just have to fight them one day at a time, and sometimes, one minute at a time. Stay strong!
Old 01-12-2015, 08:24 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thats what I said! Most people on here seem to say it takes afew months. We did it to ourselves over years.....takes time to heal but without the crap poisoning our bodies of course it will
Old 01-12-2015, 10:20 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi JoeDuke

I had cravings of various intensity for a long time - I drank all day everyday for 5 years, and binged before that - you don;t undo that kind of woring easily.

But you can and I did I can't think of the last time I was seriously tempted, and it's coming up to 8 years now.

Like I said to someone else today - cravings are cravings - it what we do in response that counts - that where the quality of our recovery is

Don't get discouraged - it was a long time before things got easy...but things definitely got easier the more sober time I had

If you're staying sober, you're doing fine

there are some great tips and tools here too:
http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...-cravings.html

D
Old 01-13-2015, 01:18 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Working out or jogging or even a long walk helps with anxiety and depression. Maybe also speak to someone or join a fellowship because for me I couldn't do it on my own. Keep working at ways to make it better and coming here and expressing yourself is a gd start, there's great wisdom on here.
All the best
Peace
Old 01-13-2015, 05:49 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Joeduke well done on 4 months sober and 3 months no smoking

That is awesome

try this for urges http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...e-surfing.html

Things settle with sober time
Old 01-13-2015, 06:02 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

I remember thinking, if it's going to be this hard, I might as well drink. But then it got easier. For me, it took getting busier and filling up the time that I drank with fun activities. I'm not just sitting around drinking anymore. I'm doing productive things and feeling good.I'm so grateful that I got through the hard part in the beginning. It gets easier. ...You can do it and the cravings will subside.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:06 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations on your recovery.

I think you're right about working on the rest of your life. Recovery is so much more than stopping drinking.
Old 01-13-2015, 06:12 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I have learned for myself that when I have an urge/craving to drink or smoke a cigarette, there is FOR SURE something else going on in my life that needs my attention that I'm not paying attention too. Often times I'm over-tired. Sometimes I'm carrying around a resentment about something that I'm refusing to "let go". I had to participate honestly in counseling for awhile before I was able to better understand some of the issues I was having that were a part of the reason why I wanted to drink.

Learning to live a life without the crutch of a drink or a drug is a journey. Some parts of the journey are longer than others Stay strong; you are worth it!
Old 01-13-2015, 06:13 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

I have learned for myself that when I have an urge/craving to drink or smoke a cigarette, there is FOR SURE something else going on in my life that needs my attention that I'm not paying attention too. Often times I'm over-tired. Sometimes I'm carrying around a resentment about something that I'm refusing to "let go". I had to participate honestly in counseling for awhile before I was able to better understand some of the issues I was having that were a part of the reason why I wanted to drink.

Learning to live a life without the crutch of a drink or a drug is a journey. Some parts of the journey are longer than others Stay strong; you are worth it!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:54 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

It becomes a lot easier in time. It's when it becomes too easy that your mind may tell you that you can moderate...that's what happens to me. I actually prefer my difficult moments because they remind me to stay sober. When I don't get the cravings my sick drunk mind tells me I can have a drink while watching football, in this social setting, etc.
Old 01-13-2015, 10:59 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

It becomes a lot easier in time. It's when it becomes too easy that your mind may tell you that you can moderate...that's what happens to me. I actually prefer my difficult moments because they remind me to stay sober. When I don't get the cravings my sick drunk mind tells me I can have a drink while watching football, in this social setting, etc.