Notices
View Poll Results: Do you have a sponser?
Yes, talk to them very often
36.36%
Yes, talk to them often
27.27%
Yes, see them at meetings
9.09%
No, but looking
18.18%
No
9.09%
Voters: 11. You may not vote on this poll

Feeling feelings, again....

Old 08-09-2004, 09:41 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Feeling feelings, again....

Hey all! Jess here. I have almost 4 days clean and slowly but surely the emotional feelings in my life are coming back. I was in active addiction for several years so that I could block out all the bad, and sad feelings in my life. Now that I am starting feel these emotions come back, it is almost unbearable. I mean last night I watched "The Lion King" for the first time in almost a year. I was watching the scene where Mufasa dies. I totally cried like a baby! Some of the emotions that I am experiencing, I am experiencing for the first time in my life. I am only 19 and for my whole teenage years I was numb to the feelings that normal teens (if there is such a thing) have. So now that I am experiencing these things I am totally freaking out. I have experienced some strange things in just these past 4 days. Mostly being the sad feelings that I have. I have also experinence very STRONG anger twords the man that I live with. The stuff I am going through is something that he doesn't understand because he has never experienced the "Coming back to life" experience that I am having. I was just wanting to know if anyone else had some of the same stuff just coming clean? Thanks for all your help.

Lots of Love,
~Jess~
Old 08-09-2004, 10:09 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Jessica and welcome to SR,
I can identify with what you are going through. I cried for about the first week. It did feel overwhelming at times and it seemed I was crying at some of the dumbest things. It's very normal for you to have feelings all over the place. When we use, we don't feel anything, then when we get clean, it seems like we feel the weight of the world on our shoulders. When I start to feel overwhelmed I just take some deep breaths and say the serenity prayer until the feelings go away. It does get better, just hang on. And congrats on your 4 days! Every day clean is a miracle!
sherry
Old 08-09-2004, 11:37 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi Jess
Glad you are here :smlove2:
You are still in the early stages of sobriety and it is a fragile time.
Try to gentle and loving with yourself.

Grant me the serenity to accept the things that I cannot change.
Courage to change the things I can.
And most of all wizdom to know the difference.

And like Sherbear said....breathing, you can help to quiet the mind by taking 10 minutes to be still and think about your breathing. The flow of air in through the nostrils, the flow of air out through the nostrils.
If you get side tracked no big deal just gently push your mind back to your breathing.
Start with just 10 minutes...
Old 08-09-2004, 11:45 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

(((((((Jess :rose ))))))))
I can relate cept I was 32 when I found sobriety. My teenage years were not the only years where I was numb. After a few 24/7's I've begun to realize that Feelings are fact, but not all feelings are rooted in fact. Tough for others to understand us but once we begin to understand that fact, many things become even more gratifying in their possibilities.

My Home Group meets in a prison workcamp and it amazes me to see the tears flow in once hardened criminals eyes after they get involved in AA full Circle & Triangle. One gentleman shares about watching the Andy Griffith show and crying because Opie looks so much like me.

Keep up the Trudge and thanks for the great poll you added to this Thread.

Kiss Heart of Spirit In Love & Service,
Three Legs
:tri
Old 08-09-2004, 07:05 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Paused

Yes I do Know what you are going thru. I am newly sober myself (it would be 12 days today if I wouldn't have screwed it up over the weekend). Just a few days after "I" started recovery, the same thing happened with me too. And boy did it suck. I didn't understand what was wrong with me at first (it seemed like all I wanted to do was cry), but after I found out what was going on, then I got mad 'cause I didn't want those feelings. But, like I was told, just hang in there. It will pass.

Take care,
Jeff