Notices

I want to get sober...

Old 01-11-2015, 03:46 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

I want to get sober...

Hi,

My name is Grace. I'm an alcoholic.... 20 years ago, I got sober and stayed sober for almost 5 years. One day, I quit going to AA meetings. I went to a wedding and drank one glass of champagne and never looked back. I've been binge drinking off and on for the last 20 years.

I'm married. I drink in secret, when I'm alone. I was drinking vodka every day, hiding it from my husband in the lowest drawer of the freezer. One day, I hit a culvert and my tire went flat. My husband said, "You must have hit something..... There is a cut in the side of the tire." I said, "Did I?" That day, I admitted I was powerless over vodka.... but, could still drink wine and beer....

I have a high stress job and have been drinking wine every day for the last four months when I get home. It started with one to two glasses. I am up to at least a bottle daily. On the weekend, I begin drinking at breakfast and drink all day. Yesterday, I stopped and bought a bottle of wine and drank it on the way to work.

I am craving alcohol every day. My husband never says a word, but I know he wonders what is going on. I'm late coming home because I have to stop and buy another bottle at the grocery.

I have been hanging around the forums here just reading. I would tell myself that I am different and could still drink.

Yesterday, drinking on the job caused me to accept that I really am powerless over alcohol. I have come to this forum to ask for help in getting sober. This post is my first attempt at being honest about my drinking.

Thank you for being here... and thank you for listening.
Old 01-11-2015, 03:55 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Grace,

Welcome to SR. You were sober for five years before, so you know that you can do this! SR is a good support tool for interacting with others who are going through the same thing.

Are you planning to return to AA?
Old 01-11-2015, 03:56 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Hi I can't give any advice really as only just joined myself tonight but well done making the first step and wish u all the best with ur recovery. Hopefully see you around here xx
Old 01-11-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
bona fido dog-lover

Welcome to the family. We are here to give support and share our experience to help you get sober for good. Have you considered going back to AA? They don't shoot their wounded, you know.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Hi Grace,

I agree with GroundhogDay you got sober before you absolutely can do it again.

Everyone is so supportive on here you've come to a good place!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:03 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Glad yet here!
Seems AA was workin for some time so I hope and pray ya go back.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:04 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

Welcome Grace - it's wonderful to have you with us.

I have a similar story. I was once sober for 3 yrs. & allowed myself to have a glass of wine on a date. I didn't even give it much thought. The glass of wine turned into many that night. Nothing bad happened so I figured I could go ahead. Seven years later my life was destroyed - I had dui's - I was drinking all day, even at work. That's when I found SR and the courage to change my life. Not being alone makes all the difference - and we are here to help.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:10 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Welcome Grace, you are among friends here. There is much help, understanding, and compassion in these pages.

AA indeed seem to work for you before, perhaps start there for face to face support. It seems you very much want sobriety to be your life again and this site and AA are both good opportunities for that.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:12 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I can relate to the secrecy of your addiction, as well as convincing myself that I can still use, just not certain drugs. Feeling alone is the worst. You should go back to those AA meetings that helped you in the past, and if not those, maybe some other recovery program.
It's funny that I should even say that because I have yet to go to a meeting.
Be honest with your husband, but not until you feel ready. It was very scary for me to tell my best friend my biggest secret (and she really doesn't know the extent of it) but people can surprise you with the support they can surround you with.
But you have to be ready. I was two weeks sober before I felt enough momentum to tell someone very close to me... I know I didn't want to tell her and then the next day avoid her for a week because I was bingeing.
I'm recently sober as well and feel for your situation. I hope to hear from you again
Old 01-11-2015, 04:23 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
~sb

my alcoholism is defined as Not being able to live without drinking. Today, there is a solution to this.

Glad you found SR!
Old 01-11-2015, 04:31 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Grace, Welcome,

I know how hard it is to admit that you're an alcoholic and that you need to stop drinking. I resisted doing so for too long and alcoholism is a progressive disease and while I resisted, it continued to worsen.

The good news that you can stop drinking and recover. You can be the person you want to be and we are here to support you.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:33 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Welcome Grace!
Old 01-11-2015, 07:26 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome Grace
Old 01-11-2015, 09:03 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome Grace. Thanks for sharing the story. You've done it for 5 years? wow! - I am only at day 6, so I am a newbie but I know you will find only the best support here at SR.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:25 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Welcome Grace...

I am only on day 3 but have a very similar story. sober for 5 years with AA, then did it on my own, then picked upa and have been drinking daily (also in the AM) for a few years. HIding from my husband and kids is brutal! I finally had to sto after a disasterous incident FRiday. I am not going back to AA and was reluctant to post here. This weekend was great/ I posted often and I am beginnng to feel connected. Stick around and keep posting.

Remember how great and freeing sobriety was???? Being honest feels terrific..having your husband trust you is awesome!

I look forward to connecting with you here. WE can all do this with support from eachother. Stay close and have a great day!!
Old 01-12-2015, 02:46 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Welcome Grace..you can do it ..I am new back on here too and on Day 3 Hugs to you.
Old 01-12-2015, 03:27 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome Grace,
I am 6 days sober this time. And i went back to AA for the first time in 3 years a couple of days ago. I was welcomed with open arms and they were really happy i made it back.
I need as much help as possible and love that i can come on SR and share with other people who feel the same.
BE kind to yourself and just hang in there, there is lots of lovely people here.
Em
Old 01-12-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Grace

your story brought a tear to my eye,, my story was is so close to yours. i hope you come back. i hope you get and stay sober. thank you
Old 01-12-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Grace

your story brought a tear to my eye,, my story was is so close to yours. i hope you come back. i hope you get and stay sober. thank you
Old 01-12-2015, 04:49 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Grace