Notices

Depression

Old 01-11-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
Do your best

Why dont you & your gf plan a night out somewhere youl both enjoy

What do you enjoy Stewy or used to enjoy ?
Old 01-11-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

I think I spent that much time drunk at home, I've forgotten, drinking has been a huge part of the time I've had with her
Old 01-11-2015, 11:49 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Don't know where you live, Stewy, but if it's winter, it may well add to the depression. Finding the right meds and dosage is challenging for most people. I only had one bad spell in my life, lasting ~6 months, and I never sought professional help... it was a very stupid act from me, that episode got extremely dark and devastating, the not being able to get out of bed, suicidal on a daily basis etc kind. I was also drinking heavily through that episode, which I am sure made it much worse.

It's hard to make the effort when in that state. I'm glad that you are getting treatment options. CBT is good, do try it. If depression and/or other mood issues are recurring problems, you might also want to explore other forms of therapy that are more holistic and tackle yourself and life and perspective in the larger picture and in a dynamic way -- I've been doing some of this since last spring, during my first year of sobriety, and I absolutely love it. Have not been depressed during this period but have had lots of weird emotional fluctuations and periods when I feel disconnected from perspective and inspiration.

Do you exercise? I find that the best remedy for mood problems, even though I know it's hard to start when we feel depressed.
Old 01-11-2015, 01:10 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Exercise is something I need to do more if and will try make a start in the morning.

Girlfriend has now gone to bed, she said she doesn't know why I can't just perk up.

It's not just a case of "perking up"!!!!!!
Old 01-11-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Do your best

Stwey you always have us who completly understand bud

hang in there

has there been anything that has interested you in sobriety

Musuems, Art exhibitions, Cinema, Ice skating, Maddam tussards
Old 01-11-2015, 01:19 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

I'm starting to think it is just me to be honest sober wolf. Everyone around me is moving forward with life and I am lagging behind

I'm really struggling right now
Old 01-11-2015, 01:40 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hang on in there Stewy things will get better sometimes these things take time

your sober thats exellent bud you have that cbt apt and your keeping your dr apt

in my eyes Stewy your doing good bud

Rome wasnt built in a day bud
Old 01-11-2015, 03:41 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stewy84 View Post
I'm starting to think it is just me to be honest sober wolf. Everyone around me is moving forward with life and I am lagging behind. I'm really struggling right now
Depression is a real affliction. And you're handling it the best way you can. It's not good if you compare yourself to other people. They are doing their best with what they have, and you have to handle this specific problem right now. There is no race, no where to get to. Handling each problem as it comes up is all we can do. So give yourself permission to have depression, and allow yourself the time to receive treatment and have the treatments start to work.
I'm wishing you all the best Stewy.
Old 01-11-2015, 04:06 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

Hey I'm sorry things feel so bad. I was dx with depression at17 and during the worst episode 8 years ago I was referred to a psychiatrist and remember thinking something in my head broke and would never be put back together but it did!! Depression can be the loneliest feeling in the world but things really will get better. It's a case of taking it hour by hour sometimes. It can take up to 6 weeks for meds to work too but if not keep trying. If uv tried a few ssri's it may be worth asking about an snri instead. Sounds like ur doing fantastic , 84 days is amazing so well done x
Old 01-11-2015, 05:03 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

I am feeling the most depressed that I have ever been in my entire life recently and its obviously from the aforementioned PAWS. I liked to do everything high, so now I feel like I can't do anything. I am also on the same medication at the same milligram, but I always forget to take it because I can't feel it immediately working (which is something I like in a medication lol). I have nooo idea how to drag myself out of this feeling, but if you figure it out, let me know lol.
I have a feeling that this all comes in waves, that it has to get worse before it gets better. But then again, I often wonder, is this just what life is like sober...
I think depression medication can be a good thing, but you just have to find the right medication and the right mg, which is easier said then done. If you have a doctor that listens and cares, then they will be more eager to help solve the puzzle, but if you don't, look for a different one.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:13 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

It's been my experience that mental and physical healing take time. I knew quitting drinking was the right thing to do, and that if I continued drinking I may not survive. But I was in a haze for months - tired all the time, unmotivated, disconnected, in a haze. I felt better little by little, and week by week I recognize improvements. It's hard, but it's worth it.
Old 01-11-2015, 05:23 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  
ManicAddict

I hate getting the right medication combination. It took me a long time. I have now realized that antidepressants make me worse, and forget benzos. I am now on a moodstabilizer and antipsychotic. I hate depression. It sucks the life out of you, then makes you feel like **** for feeling down. It is a real jerk. I just noticed today that I am starting to swing down into depression, probably from the lack of stimulation from alcohol (I am about to start day 2)

Good job being sober for so long! I can only dream of that at this point!
Old 01-11-2015, 05:31 PM
  # 33 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

I very strongly suggest exercise. Studies have shown that it can help reduce symptoms of depression substantially. This means that you can be proactive. It means that you don't have to just wait for medication to work. There is something you can do about it, but you will actually need to DO IT.

The studies have shown that you need 20 minutes of sustained activity that gets your heart rate to a level you whould have if you were walking very fast. This is a minimum of 20 minutes. The research states that the benefit occurs when this is done every other day, but I would strongly suggest that you do this every day. It may take as long as 2-3 weeks to get the benefits, but most individuals see improvement much sooner.

DO IT! And don't wait till tomorrow.
Old 01-11-2015, 06:06 PM
  # 34 (permalink)  

Hi sweety. Any medication you start takes 4-6 weeks to start working and that goes for upping medication to. It's great you are sober for over two months you should be proud as drinking will stunt the medications ability also. Hang in there and be kind to yourself xx
Old 01-11-2015, 06:41 PM
  # 35 (permalink)  

Hey Stewy. When I fist got depressed, the Dr's told me that diet, exercise and human interaction were the key. I was frustrated by that, as I couldn't even get out of bed, day or night. I took to drinking, and they told me that was making me more depressed. I never took it on board as it was numbing what felt like some very real pain at the time. Turns out they were right in their advice.

If you are up and about playing in band, hanging with your g/f etc I definitely recommend the exercise and diet thing. Hard to get motivated sometimes I know, I'm in a rut myself but luckily not depressed. If you can summon the will at all it will be worth it. All the best bro
Old 01-11-2015, 07:15 PM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by gleefan View Post
It's been my experience that mental and physical healing take time. I knew quitting drinking was the right thing to do, and that if I continued drinking I may not survive. But I was in a haze for months - tired all the time, unmotivated, disconnected, in a haze. I felt better little by little, and week by week I recognize improvements. It's hard, but it's worth it.
That's exactly what i experienced too. Choosing to try to relieve the symptoms by drinking is like allowing the bully to beat you up again by refusing to defend yourself. And i've found that awuh1 is right, exercise does help a lot. Our brain is an organ, and how our body is working strongly influences the thoughts we have. We short-circuited our mood regulators by drinking, and now we have to rebuild. And exercise in the form of 20min walks is a proven way to start that process.
Old 01-12-2015, 02:23 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

Thanks all,

This is a very distressing situation at present and one I have not really faced before.

I hope I can get through it
Old 01-13-2015, 09:29 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

Not feeling any better today, just want this depression to lift
Old 01-13-2015, 09:33 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  
Administrator

Stewy, don't hesitate to call your dr or to go to an ER if you're concerned. You don't have to deal with this alone.
Old 01-13-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

It's cliche but exercise and building routines help, especially the latter. Memorizing a pattern of behaviour (Yoga, for example) and doing it at the same time every day becomes meditative. You get better & better at it. As you get more and more skilled, when you perform the activity, you begin to feel a kind of 'flow' ... you get out of your head, and act on instinct. It's hard to explain but I find it refreshing.

You're in a band ... what about committing to playing the same song of your choice, every single morning when you wake up, for 1 month?