Notices

SMART Anonymous?

Old 01-10-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

SMART Anonymous?

I am curious about SMART recovery.

AA is working well for me, and over a year into sobriety I'm feeling very good, very positive, very solid in my sobriety..... but I'm also still curious to learn more about other recovery support systems first hand.

I've discovered there is a SMART recovery meeting in my area - run by a local psychologist. Was thinking I may check it out. Do SMART meetings operate under a strong anonymity policy?

For those that have experience with SMART meetings - do they welcome participation from people who are there to learn and to see what tools they can gain for personal sobriety (i.e. - I'm already using AA successfully so am not thinking I will necessarily commit to SMART as an approach - it's more a way to add more to my sobriety toolkit and awareness in helping others....)

Thanks for any insight.
Old 01-10-2015, 01:13 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I am curious about SMART recovery.

AA is working well for me, and over a year into sobriety I'm feeling very good, very positive, very solid in my sobriety..... but I'm also still curious to learn more about other recovery support systems first hand.

I've discovered there is a SMART recovery meeting in my area - run by a local psychologist. Was thinking I may check it out. Do SMART meetings operate under a strong anonymity policy?

For those that have experience with SMART meetings - do they welcome participation from people who are there to learn and to see what tools they can gain for personal sobriety (i.e. - I'm already using AA successfully so am not thinking I will necessarily commit to SMART as an approach - it's more a way to add more to my sobriety toolkit and awareness in helping others....)

Thanks for any insight.
You will be more than welcome.

Anonymity is mentioned every time in my group. We're not to discuss any person or issue outside of group.

The meeting starts with a check in - how has your week been. We then choose to discuss any issue such as urges, HALT, cost benefit analysis... it is a group discussion, usually if one person needs to speak in particular then we listen, then discuss trying to add positive scenarios. It's very much group CBT. Biggest group I've attended was 8.

We all check out at the end with our plans for the week coming. We also share phone numbers/facebook if we want, there is a meditation meet for mine on a Weds which I will be attending and regular coffee mornings.

It's pretty much about adding to your toolkit, although we do start by saying we are here through choice, we do not use terms such as alcoholic or addict, we have chosen to drink/use/gamble/etc and now we are choosing not to...

Go check one out!
Old 01-10-2015, 01:16 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Ive heard of Smart in the uk but i havnt been no so couldnt say bud

Always worth checking out if your interested tho