Notices

Not sober

Old 01-10-2015, 03:06 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Not sober

Apologies if this is only for sober people. did a gram and a half of cocaine tonight and will inevitably drink about a fifth plus some weed.

even when not getting coked up, i drink about 3/4 a fifth each night. smoke weed just about every day, too. concerned about alcohol because it affects my mind, but more importantly also my health. regular diarrhea or weird colored poop, which apparently is because i'm taxing the liver.

i'm able to hide my addiction because i lie to my family and i'm effective at my job (although i would be sooo much better at my job if i were sober). i wake up every day hung over and often will have 2 or 3 shots of vodka before work. sometimes i don't have vodka before going to work, and those days are so much more pleasant. when i have vodka in the house, i simply have no choice. Quick cocktail before work.

My delivery method is vodka + water. that way you don't get the extra sugar or calories.

if i could get past my alcohol addiction, my life would improve. anyone have experience with drinking (1) every day, (2) for sleep? I can't go to rehab now. Never really experienced daily withdrawal symptoms. How do i cut myself off without acute health effects (withdrawal symptoms)?

been drinking heavily for 5 years.

how do i help myself without officially seeking help?
Old 01-10-2015, 03:12 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

welcome denverresident

this site is for anyone who wants to get clean and sober - you're very welcome here.

I understand you wanting to keep things on the downlow but if you've been drinking for a while I think a visit to your Dr is a really good idea. Not everyone has problems, but detox can be problematic for some of us.

You'll find a lot of people here who drank every day and for sleep. I was one of them.

The support encouragement and ideas here really helped me turned my life around - I know we can help you too

D
Old 01-10-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Originally Posted by denverresident View Post
anyone have experience with drinking (1) every day, (2) for sleep?
(1) yes
(2) yes
(3) I also have experience with thinking I was able to hide my addiction because I can lie to my family

Sober up and see a doctor if you need confidentiality. The longer you wait, the harder it will get.

Best of Luck on Your Journey!
Old 01-10-2015, 03:19 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Obv the question is based on the individual, but what health effects does regularly drinking a fifth have on the body? how long can the body last?
Old 01-10-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Less long than a body not drinking a fifth per day. What other statistic is relevant?
Old 01-10-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Welcome, denverresident, to SR.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:35 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Thanks everyone. I'm excited about the idea of no longer being an alcoholic, but I'm terrified at the prospect of never drinking again. Anyone have any experience with finishing treatment and then drinking in moderation? It feels like my alcoholism is so pattern based... Break the pattern, break the habit. Do any groups suggest occasional drinka (think a diet cheat day)?
Old 01-10-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome denverresident. Your liver and other organs(heart, kidneys,etc) work overtime to support what you drink. Why ruin them? I have bnl who has bad heart and liver from abusing alcohol... It's not worth it. Go speak to a doctor for help. You are going yo like bring sober
Old 01-10-2015, 03:45 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

I'm terrified at the prospect of never drinking again.
(4) yes, I've done that, too

That's called 'addiction'. Alcohol was destroying my life, but my addiction had me convinced I could not live without it. It is the problem that masquerades as the solution.

For me it was absolutely the most difficult issue to deal with. That addiction is like a liar living in my head, constantly whispering it's sweet lies about what I should do and what I need.

It is a liar and a thief. It will kill me if I let it. Starve that summunabitch.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:48 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I think I'm too much of a wuss to seek treatment. Just too embarrassed to visit a doctor, and I still enjoy the experience too much. (Obviously problematic).

I'm sorry to my body, and sorry to everyone here. I will continue to drink.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

We will continue to welcome you if you change your mind.
Old 01-10-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome DR! We're mostly a bunch of quitters here that don't give up. The moderation thing has been explored by many (I dare say all or we would not have a problem right?). You are up there with the consumption, probably dependent. Medically supervised detox is advised but cutting down before then will ease the transition more. The scariness is heightened by the booze and coke. Lots of happy post-treatment sober folks here. Not one negative post of a treatment making someone....worse(?) Do it scared!
Old 01-10-2015, 04:05 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome, denverresident. You went from how do I stop to I'm not going to stop in forty minutes. That's addiction speaking loud and clear. I hope you will stick around here, do a lot of reading, and take advantage of the wealth of experience and support offered here. You can be free of your addiction. You really can. It's worth it.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:07 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

anattaboy and nonsensical thanks so much for your words. i'm on 1/2 or 3/4 or 1 fifth of vodka per day. i have an optimistic/romantic view on overcoming my alcoholism with a supervised physical detox. has anyone heard of a short term program working? one in which they stayed in a center for a few days and had a positive experience?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:08 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Thanks BernieE. I'm an addict.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:12 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Do your best

I think I'm too much of a wuss to seek treatment. Just too embarrassed to visit a doctor, and I still enjoy the experience too much. (Obviously problematic).

I'm sorry to my body, and sorry to everyone here. I will continue to drink.
Thats your choice i hope you seek treatment like D suggested

Say you drink get high & something bad happens what are you waiting for a truly horrific rock bottom ? where your getting checked for wet brain with ct scans

sounds extreme ? not really it happens it almost happened to me

i was one of the lucky ones dont risk the stuff i risked

ive been sober almost 18 months & ive been off coke for almost 4 years

i sincerly hope you change your mind
Old 01-10-2015, 04:13 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Physical detox is usually only 3 days here but it won't do much for the education part. You're in kinda deep, took awhile to get there no doubt. allocate some time to get out--you will have more of it (time) if you quit. Guaranteed. Can your job do w/out you for a week or so to address a major medical issue?
Old 01-10-2015, 04:15 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Been there.

I doubt I'd have been able to knock all of that out all at once without treatment or at least a physicians help.

I quit cocaine by moving halfway round the world away from where it was a daily part of life, always accessible. That gave me the break I needed to get out of the routines and the crowds where t was always available.

Took another several years of suffering to quit drinking and smoking pot.

For me it's been a journey and I had to endure a lot of suffering to finally summon the courage and willingness to embrace recovery through this site and AA and work on myself through therapy.

If I could sit down with ME ten years ago, I'd do everything I could to talk ME into doing whatever it took to free myself from those awful addictions earlier. AA, treatment, doctors care.... ANYTHInG.

I hope you'll take action NOW. It doesn't have to be like this. Life is so, SO much more.

Welcome.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:19 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  

I know where you are at. I only needed 24 hrs. w/out and I knew I could do it after that--struggled to get there 6+ months ago. I did get there and it was enough. Get your 3 days--it's a week-end.