Notices

2 weeks.

Old 01-09-2015, 05:06 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

2 weeks.

Hey, I'm about 2 weeks in and Fridays are always triggers to me. I almost always drink at two weeks in. I was just wondering if any of you had methods or tools you used to remind you early on that two weeks sober doesn't mean your no longer an alcoholic. Things have been going so well for me the last couple weeks and I really feel like ******* it all up right now.
Thanks
Old 01-09-2015, 05:10 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Exegesis, 2 weeks sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:11 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Exegesis, 2 weeks sober is FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:14 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi,

Have you ever written about how you felt when you stopped drinking? Some people find if they go back and read that, it helps them to remember.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Canine Welfare Advocate

Originally Posted by Exegesis View Post
I was just wondering if any of you had methods or tools you used to remind you early on that two weeks sober doesn't mean your no longer an alcoholic.
You don't drink after two weeks because you aren't an alcoholic. You drink because you are.

Always drinking two weeks in is negative thinking at its prime. But just because it happened before doesn't make it so. Your relapse doesn't have to be a self-fulfilled prophecy.

Once you decide you have quit drinking, you've quit. Any thoughts otherwise is the insanity of alcoholism.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Exegesis

I not only agree with Anna i done just that kept a journal on a A4 pad i wrote in it nearly every day

It was eye opening looking bk as it is when i read posts from when i first joined here i could see where i was going right where i was going wrong it was very helpful

If the 2 week mk is a trigger then join the topic mtn in chat in half an hour surround yourself with ppl who understand

start posting more to help you through this rough patch ask questions etc

the topic mtns are awesome starting in 27 mins in chat
Old 01-09-2015, 06:46 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Busy your mind and hands... that kept me at bay during the nights I would go out and get plastered.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:43 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Congratulations on two weeks! That's fantastic!

One thing that really helped me in the early weeks was to change things up. For example, I tended to drink at home alone, so I went out more and did active things in the evenings with friends. Or, if you tend to go out to bars or out with certain friends, you might want to try staying home. In the beginning, breaking the patterns is important because a lot of the triggers are often situational and best avoided if you can.

Also, I recommend ice cream! You'll see if recommended a lot here. I kind of chuckled at first as before I hardly ate it, but it does really helps with cravings those first few weeks in particular.

And if you feel like drinking, post on SR first. I've done that a few times, and the kind support of folks here has really helped me ride the craving.
Old 01-10-2015, 08:48 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thanks for your responses. I really do feel like this time is going to be different. It just becomes daunting when I've quit so many times and told myself I'm done drinking always to go back to it. But something feels different this time. I feel like I actually know that I'm done where as before everytime I would stop I would have this voice telling me that, ya know, of course at weddings I'm still going to drink, and at 6 months sober I could probably celebrate with a drink. All these things to quit without quitting, and if I haven't really quit, then screw it, 2 weeks is about 6 months, I'll just get drunk now.

I went out last night with some friends to go see Brian Regan. I was the only one not drinking so I drove. The show was great and afterwards, they were all a little buzzed after the show cause they all had some beers and honestly just that little bit of alcohol changed their personalities enough that I really didn't feel like having a conversation with them anymore. They all went out to a bar which I dropped them off at. They protested a bit when I told them I was going home but they all understand that I'm not drinking. They weren't pressuring me to drink, just to hang out. I'm sure they thought I was just trying to avoid alcohol, which was half of it, but also I just didn't feel like hanging out with drunk people, regardless if I was drinking or not.

Unfortunately I did not write down how I felt while extremely hungover. I'm a writer and the only thing I ever thought of writing while I was horribly hungover was a suicide note. But I can remember that feeling. And it is the main reason I never want to drink again. The actual consequences of being drunk, embarrassing myself, losing friends, doesn't even come close to that next day feeling of knowing my brain is just ****** and I'm atleast three days away from being able to experience even the least bit of relief or happiness. The worst is that it's an extremely selfish feeling because I have no capacity in those moments to care for or about other people. My entire world shrinks and I start getting scared to leave my apartment.

You guys are right, that is an effective deterrent. It hasn't been quite two week. My last drink was on December 30th. I spent New Years writing a script that was due to the production company the next day, having that deadline sparked the sobriety. I'm just nervous because I've actually had way less cravings than I usually do. It seems like a good thing but it's strangely unsettling. I just feel like I can no longer trust myself after I've betrayed myself so many times. It's kind of a schizophrenic feeling.
Old 01-10-2015, 10:19 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Exegesis, it almost sounds like you've convinced yourself that caving at two weeks is just what you do. Almost like putting a label on yourself that says, "TWO-WEEKER".

You've made it this far and just because this is where you slipped in the past doesn't mean you have to slip here again. Focus and know that you can choose to say no.

You got this. Just stay focused and don't let any thoughts of alcohol break your stride.