Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Newcomer to Newcomer - what I have been taught and learned at 7 months

Notices

Old 01-09-2015, 05:38 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I debated whether to post this and not making any attempts to say Here's the Way! But, maybe this will help someone just starting out.

Give yourself a break, and some time. It's common I have found to want 5,10,15 years of sobriety in a short period of time. Thinking of it that way is fruitless. Experience your journey, the gift of recovery.

This too shall indeed pass! If you're happy, sad, anxious etc we have to do one thing perfectly - Don't drink. Regardless of how we Feel in any moment, it's transitory. Get through the hour or day. You'll feel better or worse tomorrow. It's only life......

Reach out continuously for support somewhere and everywhere. This is critical. If I relied solely on myself, I could expect little change. Be humble enough to understand that while we may have many years of living experience, we are kindergartners in sobriety. Now, that said.....

YOU(me) have to do the work! This is your sobriety, your journey and your plan. What works for others is great - add it as a spice to your plan. But, in the end - it's your life. Take ownership - don't use or pick up.

Finally, consider finding a way to meditate as often as possible. Take 10 minutes and slow things down in the morning - breathe! Let go of the crap that aggravates you. Focus on loving yourself - if you can't or don't, no one else will be able to either.

No one makes us glad, mad, sad, happy, stressed, depressed etc. We choose to accept that condition. Don't allow "feelings" to get in the way of hope and effort. No excuses........We have made the decision!

Acceptance, Willingness (to change), desire above all other things can indeed get anyone where they'd like to be. Get all the help you need, and

Keep coming back
Kind Regards,
FlyNbuy
Old 01-09-2015, 05:43 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Glad the debate ended in a post, FlyN.

Sound and inspirational advice here.

Thanks.
Old 01-09-2015, 06:01 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Seven months is a long time...and I need this one today
This too shall indeed pass! If you're happy, sad, anxious etc we have to do one thing perfectly - Don't drink. Regardless of how we Feel in any moment, it's transitory. Get through the hour or day. You'll feel better or worse tomorrow. It's only life......

Thank you!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Ditto what Sober Leigh said.....great post!
Old 01-09-2015, 06:49 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by redladyslipper View Post
Seven months is a long time...and I need this one today

Thank you!

This is best of SR - Redladyslipper, you have no idea how your post helps me. Together, we stay strong!

Thank you.....
Old 01-09-2015, 06:59 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I don't have any tattoos, but if I were to get one, I'd go with "This too shall pass" on my wrist!
Such a crucial thing to remember, thoughts, emotions, they all come and go... I've been watching this happen the last few days and it amazes me how transitory it all is and how good it feels just to let it go... Instead of trying to silence it with a drink.
Old 01-09-2015, 07:09 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent job getting to 7 months Fly

Awesome post

Congrats bud
Old 01-09-2015, 08:15 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by IfYouCanDream View Post
I don't have any tattoos, but if I were to get one, I'd go with "This too shall pass" on my wrist!
Such a crucial thing to remember, thoughts, emotions, they all come and go... I've been watching this happen the last few days and it amazes me how transitory it all is and how good it feels just to let it go... Instead of trying to silence it with a drink.
Make a nice Tat for sure~!

Yesterday is a good example - got aggravated at some folks, realized my part of why and apologized. One really wasn't very understanding. That's fine - I made my peace. Now it's between them and whomever.......

Point is I let it go and the anger passed. It was a pride thing = mad!

Thanks for the post!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:16 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

Very good self awareness, Flynbuy!!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Great post, Fly! Many congratulations on your 7 months!

You are right about pride: if we could just swallow it, so many of our problems would dissipate into nothing!
Old 01-09-2015, 08:25 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Originally Posted by JT0626 View Post
Very good self awareness, Flynbuy!!
Thanks is on others - learned/witnessed behavior, not innate in Fly.
I am truly learning more empathy for others as well - again, it's not a natural trait in me. Don't know why, but have always been selfish. Youngest of several kids, maybe that's part of it - the baby.

But, I am learning how to be empathetic. Had an SR member visitor post / friend today I thanked for helping be learn this trait.

Again, yesterday - I responded to a member who posts some controversial things - IMO. Then, I read many of their threads and posts trying to gain understanding of their point of view.

They had been through some very difficult things in life....much more so than I.
I could begin to understand then HOW they felt. What started as me getting angry, ended with peace and maybe a little growth spurt......