Notices

Family struggles with alcoholic loved one

Old 01-09-2015, 05:37 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Family struggles with alcoholic loved one

My sister is an alcoholic. Divorced after a less than a year of marriage, lost relationships with her family, in and out of the best rehabs and continues to struggle. She's now living with my parents with her 4 month old daughter and I'm pretty sure she's drinking again. My parents have no guidance and refuse to get the help they need, they are REacting rather than acting and I've tried everything to try to get them to accept support from the many amazing professionals who specialize in addiction and working with families of alcoholics with no luck. They act on their "gut" and think they keeping her close and loving her will save her. I'm scared my sister will lose her baby, her life. Any family member of alcoholics out there with any guidance? Please help!
Old 01-09-2015, 05:48 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome, Bkjmfamily, to SR. You will find support, encouragement and understanding here.

I am glad you found us and am very sorry for what brings you here.

Posting in Newcomers is fine (reading here will provide a great understanding of the struggles of alcoholics and alcoholism) but you may find more pertinent responses to your situation in the Friends & Families forum.

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ly-alcoholics/
Old 01-09-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bkjmfamily its nice to meet you youl find a ton of support here and in leigh's link
Old 01-09-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

BJK, welcome to SR. Sadly, keeping an alcoholic close and loving them, while seeming like great things to do, are not very helpful in helping an alcoholic. I'm an alcoholic but married to one as well and nothing can change until the alcoholic chooses to get sober. I tried keeping my husband close and loving him and it didn't work. IT seems counter to what is needed but it was only after I pushed him out and paid attention to my own needs did he start finding sobriety.

Check out the family and friends forum for support. I haunted that forum for a long time and it's great. I think it's terrific that you want to support your sister but help yourself and your niece first.
Old 01-09-2015, 02:00 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Administrator

Yes, and you might check out AlAnon as support for yourself.

I'm sorry for your situation.
Old 01-10-2015, 04:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you all for taking the time to respond. I will check out the family and friends forum.
Old 01-10-2015, 05:55 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Anna View Post
Yes, and you might check out AlAnon as support for yourself.

I'm sorry for your situation.

Hi.

I also strongly suggest local Al Anon meetings for ALL having association with the alcoholic. At times we won’t like what they “suggest”, just remember they have been helping others for many years with excellent results IF WE LET THEM. My sponsors wife had been active in Al Anon for 52 years and helped numerous members.

BE WELL