Notices

Well I Messed That Up

Old 01-09-2015, 02:45 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Well I Messed That Up

So everything was going so good then December hit and I caved and caved and caved some more. I don't exactly know what I was thinking and not sure even what triggered the drinking. The stress of the holidays and the busy work schedule? Who knows why I picked up a drink again. The one thing I do know, I am DETERMINED to not pick up the drink now. I need to get back to coming here and just reading and giving input when I can. I can see now why people feel the way they do after going so long without drinking and slipping up. It really does make you feel terrible. The one good thing is I don't have to pick up anymore. I had a weak spell and I know I'm stronger than this. Now I'm going to prove it.

Anyways sorry about this little rant. I just had to get it off my chest so I can start new. Today is the start of a new day and new me.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:26 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Hears The Voice

Glad you made it back.
Old 01-09-2015, 03:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Yeah well done for giving it another go. Is there something you can add to your recovery programme this time to make it more robust? Are there habits you have to break? Are there some numbers you need to delete from your mobile phone (haahahha)?
Old 01-09-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

Glad you're back Shawn - if stress and overwork got to you can you think opf better ways to deal next time?

D
Old 01-09-2015, 03:50 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Hi Shawn good to meet you.

You are so right -you don't ever have to feel this way again.

You can do this !
Old 01-09-2015, 04:21 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Lifes not about NOT making mistakes, its about adapting ourselves so we don't make the same mistake again. Welcome back buddy.
Old 01-09-2015, 04:44 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Shawn4233 View Post
I am DETERMINED to not pick up the drink now. I need to get back to coming here and just reading and giving input when I can. I can see now why people feel the way they do after going so long without drinking and slipping up. It really does make you feel terrible. The one good thing is I don't have to pick up anymore. I had a weak spell and I know I'm stronger than this. Now I'm going to prove it.

Hi.

Good thing your able to get back, many can’t.
Short circuiting this very serious disease is far more intense that sitting and reading some posts with the expectation of having long term sobriety. Sorry if it were that simple hardly anyone would be here.

If you’re an alcoholic wanting sobriety some things need to be accomplished. #1 is being honest with ourself about our drinking and 2, accepting the fact that we cannot drink in safety one day at a time in a row. That is fairly simple in the long run.

The part that many fail at is forgetting #1&2 and failing to put work into the changes we need to do to stay sober.
I chose AA like millions of others. Whatever program chosen it’s necessary to work it every day because alcohol is cunning, powerful, baffling and insidious, and always there waiting for the moment to pounce by allowing us to forget the misery it caused to get here.

BE WELL
Old 01-09-2015, 05:07 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Sorry you slipped. So have I many times. My advice, make a specific plan if you get the urge to drink. Like: I will post on SR that I'm craving alcohol. I'm trying this technique.
Old 01-09-2015, 05:11 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome back, Shawn. Glad you are re-committing to sobriety.

Your resolve sounds strong. Have you thought about what you might add to your plan for sobriety?
Old 01-09-2015, 06:58 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Get it all off your chest man that's what this is for. Don't sweat it just stay focused and you'll get back on track.

More power to you!
Old 01-09-2015, 07:08 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome back!
Old 01-09-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Thanks for all the kind words all!! I know what the trigger was and I guess I wasn't as prepared for it as I thought I was. One of my mistakes was shying away from here. I used this site a lot as a reminder to myself. I basically have to just tell myself I'm stronger than that. And when I ask myself what makes me stronger my answer will probably be "Because I'm Shawn and that's how I roll"
Old 01-09-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome bk Shawn good to have you bk
Old 01-09-2015, 06:24 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Welcome back!

It sounds like you learned a little more about yourself that will help keep you sober.

For me, getting sober was a series of successive approximations, each time moving the ball a little closer to the goal line.