Notices

How to maintain a social life without drinking?

Old 01-08-2015, 02:30 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

How to maintain a social life without drinking?

I've been invited to 2 parties this week, about to leave for one. I know its going to be hard seeing everyone else drinking and I'm nervous about that, but I don't want to lose my social life and friends. Should I refrain from going and risk a social life for the time being?
Old 01-08-2015, 02:35 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

I wouldnt go D sometimes says build some sober muscles first doing normal non alcohol related things for a while

There will be plenty of things to do a lil further down the road dont feel like this will be forever its just while your adjusting to sobriety you dont need the temptation

I would favor hanging out at home with a trusted friend or at trusted non drinking friends house ?

Give it a lil time
Old 01-08-2015, 02:36 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Administrator

I tried living my old life, only being sober, and I couldn't do it, cos my old life was all about drinking.

If that kinda resembles your life too, you probably need to think about that jacksbean?

I stayed away from all alcohol related events for a while until I knew I was strong enough to resist - for me that took a few months. I called it building up my sobriety muscles.

I also pretty much rebuilt my life....I lost some friends/drinking buddies, sure, but I made a lot of new friendships too, really meaningful ones, where the common element wasn't alcohol.

D
Old 01-08-2015, 03:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

No harm in focusing on your Sobriety in the beginning, the big wide world will still be there in a few months time.

For me making Sobriety happen in the beginning came down to some decisions on what activities to get involved in and what people to hang out with.

Carrying on with the same life and trying to cling onto Sobriety didn't work for me, I needed to make a few changes.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I stayed away from Christmas functions this year. I had a range of emotions from bringing my own NA drink whether beer or just soda or just "having one or two" (yeah right) so I abstained. Once the people found out why I didn't go their attitude was surprising in that they asked what the could have done to accommodate me. Just be honest. The words "I quit" come easier every day
Old 01-08-2015, 09:34 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by jacksbean View Post
Should I refrain from going and risk a social life for the time being?
Refrain from parties for a while and maybe build a different kind of social life.