Notices

110 Days Sober

Old 01-08-2015, 01:26 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

110 Days Sober

Hello all,

I'm more of a lurker than a poster but thought I'd post my thoughts on not drinking.

Today I am 100 days alcohol free. It was quite difficult at first but not Impossible. I felt the best thing to do was to go to bed quite early. This gave me less time to think/obsess about it.

I was never a heavy heavy drinker but I did get into the routine of drinking 4 x 440ml cans of lager a night. Almost treated it as a reward.

Benefits I've felt since not drinking:

Loads more energy - Coming home from work on the bus I used to be extremely exhausted. I still feel a little tired after a long day but nothing like I used to.

Lost weight - My diet hasn't improved since not drinking - might have even got a little worse for the time being - but I've still lost 18 lbs without trying.

Dramatic memory improvement - I knew drinking alcohol affected my memory but now I'm just realising how badly it was affecting it. My memory literally has improved ten-folds. I honestly cannot believe the difference.

No longer muddling up my words. During conversations with people I'd often say the wrong word and look a bit of a fool. I hadn't realise this was to do with my drinking. And I don't mean mixing up words whilst drunk either.
Now I rarely mix up words and if I do its no more than the next person.

Blood Pressure - I'm 29 years old and about 6 months ago registered with a new doctor. They done the usual checks but my blood pressure came away as slightly high. This kept reoccurring as I had to keep coming back until it was showing as normal. It would never come down to normal.
Now not drinking my Blood Pressure is back down to normal.

At work I am now such a positive and hard working person I'm completely transformed.

It really is unbelievable how cutting out alcohol from your life makes a difference. Brings you back to the positive attitude of before you had ever touched a drink.

I still get the odd thought about drinking but know its not worth it.

I must add that I have given up cold turkey. I have never been to an AA meeting as I'm not sure its right for me. I read this forum quite often to see how others are doing.

Not sure if this post will help anyone but if it does then great. It really pays not drinking.

Guess I will just keep on keeping on
Old 01-08-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Do your best

Exellent post Blacksnow well done on 100 days

I loved reading this thank you
Old 01-08-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Like this post. I used to do things like this...Posting the benefits of how much improvement you feel.

Now i'm back on the other flip side of it AGAIN...Writing out lists of how terrible i feel now as a result of drinking.

In the flip side of my personality i'm thinking writing EACH list out daily may help me achieve and keep a long term and final sobriety this time.

Daily might be extreme...But that's what i'm going to try. It REALLY is so freaking easy for me to forget and drink AGAIN.

I've done it more that a few times now...
Old 01-08-2015, 01:33 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Congratulations blacksnow, 100 days is a long time.
Thank you for posting this. For people who are struggling in early recovery every single example of how much better things get once drinking is out of the game (and even without waiting years to see the results!) can be really motivational and uplifting.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:34 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on your 110 days!!! I am a lurker too, but what you said about mixing up words really got me. I do that alot also, when I'm sober, and didn't realize it had to do with the drinking. I should have, given the foggy brain and crappy memory I have most of the time.

Great post!
Old 01-08-2015, 01:36 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Well done!
Old 01-08-2015, 02:47 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Wow! Inspiring!
Old 01-08-2015, 02:53 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I loved this post, blacksnow. Thanks for the great reminder of how much better life is without alcohol. Congratulations. And keep up the excellent work.
Old 01-08-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

100 Days is fantastic!! Keep pushing through!!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:17 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Findingtheway View Post
Like this post. I used to do things like this...Posting the benefits of how much improvement you feel.

Now i'm back on the other flip side of it AGAIN...Writing out lists of how terrible i feel now as a result of drinking.

In the flip side of my personality i'm thinking writing EACH list out daily may help me achieve and keep a long term and final sobriety this time.

Daily might be extreme...But that's what i'm going to try. It REALLY is so freaking easy for me to forget and drink AGAIN.

I've done it more that a few times now...
Daily really helped me at first. Even it is to let off steam about crap that happened that day. Every here gets what it is like to struggle.

Awesome job on the century mark!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Administrator

Thanks for your post blacksnow - congrats on 110 days

D
Old 01-08-2015, 03:54 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

It's always a help to post a reminder of all the positives of life without alcohol.

Thank you blacksnow and keep up the good work!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great work on 110 days ***** !!!