Notices

grieving alcohol

Old 01-08-2015, 12:01 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

grieving alcohol

Hi all, I feel like im grieving a bit afrer stopping drinking and bored dont really know what do do with myself. ?...
Old 01-08-2015, 12:29 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

I felt the same when I first stopped drinking. I seriously thought my life was over. I had to make real changes to my lifestyle and it was a hard and sometimes lonely process. Gone were the weekly nights going to my pals for a "few bottles", weekends out drinking had to stop. Everything that was normal to me felt was being taken away and I hated it.

I for sure felt something had died - my horrific, mental, blackout, making an ass of myself days had!

Things are very different now, i had to change my life but its all been for the better. Over 6 months sober and my life is considerably better.

Hang in there, find new passions in life other than drink.

L x
Old 01-08-2015, 12:36 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

It is indeed a process and I think we all feel that way in the beginning. It may be hard to believe but it gets better. Since I spend about 25 years drunk almost every day I didn't know how I would fill the time up. But I have! Now instead of being bored I'm in the situation where I don't have time for everything I want to do. Whooda thunk it!
Old 01-08-2015, 03:54 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

I was grieving the loss of alcohol. I realized though that I was grieving what alcohol did for me from 2004-2010. Back then I still kinda had an off switch and alcohol was fun. It was the highlight of my day. That is way in the past.

I have never grieved for what alcohol did for me 2011-2014. Daily hangovers which turned out to be withdrawal in hindsight, every day at work. Around 2013 alcohol stopped even giving me a buzz. I was a maintenance drinker in every sense of the term except I never progressed to the morning drink. Never missed work either but I was a maintenance drinker going through the motions, hungover/withdrawing every single day of the year. Nothing to miss about that. That is the ONLY box I can't check on the alcoholic tests. The morning drink. But boy was I SICK every morning.

It helped me to realize I was mourning something that was long gone. I lost my ability to drink for pleasure around 2010.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:16 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by mrjustin View Post
Hi all, I feel like im grieving a bit afrer stopping drinking and bored dont really know what do do with myself. ?...
If you can stay sober for a while, you will see where life is much easier without the booze added. This has proven to be especially true for alcoholics who have recovered.

If one is alcoholic ? It's truly best not to drink.

For me to cry or grieve over the loss of alcohol in my life,
is like missing hanging out with the devil.

MM
Old 01-08-2015, 04:20 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

I've learned to embrace the feeling of "boredom" when I think back to the chaotic feeling that alcohol brought me. The anxiety, fear, guilt and shame are all feelings I don't miss, boredom I can do something about with new hobbies.
The "fun" drinking days were long over before I stopped. I try to remember that when I start fantasizing about it.
Hang in - it gets better, it really does. But we gotta put some effort in to make healthy changes as well.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:43 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Grieving is normal for any loss of relationship. It's part of the process. Try to accept that and work through it. It takes a long time but you'll change.
Old 01-08-2015, 04:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi MrJustin try this http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ething-do.html

Stay strong were not missing anything its a better life sober my friend