Notices

my 1st attempt for help

Old 08-08-2004, 02:32 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

my 1st attempt for help

I went to the Dr. today after my throat has been hurting/hoarse for 2 weeks and I saw a red spot in it. I am 42 and drink wine but never in the day so didn't think I had a problem ~ as most of my friends drink, but I always have as much or more as they do. I have 4 children and usually have 2-3 glasses of wine in the evening to unwind and more if it's a night out. W/ stress this summer I've been drinking wine every night. I started drinking as a teenager and now am a more "controlled" drinker. Today the Dr. asked me if I drank ~ it seems the red spot he thinks are broken blood vessels in my throat which has me scared to death! I decided this should be a wake-up call for me as I'm hurting my health. My drinking has always been an issue w/ me, but no one has ever told me they thought I had a problem. I am just the fun friend and actually don't drink as much as some of my friends; never have w/drawl or dt's and usually am able to get up an exercise to get rid of the hangover. Is anyone familiar w/ liver prob./throat blood vessels? Is it hard to quit? Does it make your life better????? Any replies welcome! This is my 1st call for help. Should I go AA route? My husband thinks not.
Old 08-08-2004, 02:37 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
JT
Supply Manager

Welcome Polly...the troops will be right along. I am Alanon...

Luck and hugs,
JT
Old 08-08-2004, 02:41 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Dan

Hi Polly, and welcome to SoberRecovery.
You ask many questions
You say your drinking has always been an issue with you.
Why? I was, for want of a better word, a functioning alcoholic for a long time. Never had problems in the morning, etc...
That all changed. Anyway, about the blood vessels. I've had the same thing happen to me. I continued drinking though. Luckily, No serious damage was done.
Have you had your liver looked at yet?
Get to the bottom of this. Complete honesty with your physician is the way to go.
Is it hard to quit?
Doesn't have to be, but it can be for some.
Whatever you decide to do, the decision should be yours, not your husband's.
Glad you're here.
Old 08-08-2004, 03:25 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
peace2u

Hi Polly,
Alcohol irritates the esophagus and inflames the lining of it. That may be what's causing the sore throat. A small percentage of the alcohol that you're drinking is actually absorbed into your bloodstream via small blood vessels as it goes down your throat. These blood vessels are delicate and can't handle the long-term alcohol exposure. Your pipes need time away from alcohol. I hope you'll get some guidance in seeking total sobriety. I'm the same age as you...and it may be time to make some changes in your life now.
And, yes, it may seem an impossible idea to quit drinking. But it can be done. How bad do you want to quit?

Old 08-08-2004, 04:57 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for the replies!

I appreciate the help and support. I did swing by an AA meeting tonight and sat in on part of it. I think the stress I've been under lately has been causing me to drink more and also several parties/nights out...I'm taking a break and will see about the road to sobriety?! The throat really has scared me and could be the wake up call I need. I am going to Drs. this week and plan to get liver checked too! I had bloodwork done a few weeks ago and nothing alarming, but I'm not sure what shows up w/ that and what doesn't. I don't consider myself a "heavy" drinker these days but have had sev. glasses of wine daily for awhile ~ always after 5 though! It's my past college partying days I worry more about doing damage on the liver! Maybe sobriety would be best all around as I've had bouts w/ depression/anxiety...in the past.Any encouraging words are welcome! :squareeye
Old 08-08-2004, 05:27 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  
peace2u

Hi Polly,
You're handling your issues in superb fashion. Keep it up!

Keep posting and let us know how things are going.

Old 08-08-2004, 05:30 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

How do you get the cute pictures on the screen?!
Old 08-08-2004, 05:32 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Dan

http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...do=showsmilies
Here's the little guys
Old 08-08-2004, 05:48 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Lightbulb Thanks!

:wow: Thanks for the info! Now what about the pictures by the names ~ I do ask a lot of ?'s!! Thanks DDan!
Old 08-08-2004, 05:52 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Dan

Originally Posted by Polly
:wow: Thanks for the info! Now what about the pictures by the names ~ I do ask a lot of ?'s!! Thanks DDan!
See the Blue Navigation Bar at the top of the page? User CP, FAQ, etc...
Click user CP. Then, in the menu at the left, click Edit Avatar.
There are some choices there, or you can upload something from your comp.
You're welcome
Old 08-08-2004, 06:48 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Paused

If you think you need help... odds are you do. Living life w/o alcohol and drugs is beyond comparison to any other way. SAfter 20 years of active addiction... I cannot imagine living any other way.
I sincerely hope you stick around... this place is great.
Welcome to SoberRecovery.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:53 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Chy

Hi Polly and welcome!
Only you can decide if you have a problem and need to quit. Alcoholism affects us in varying degrees and severity. Please know we'll be here to help.
Old 08-08-2004, 06:55 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Omega, Thanks, I prob. do need help and have for awhile! Is the sober life really great?!?! It's hard to imagine ~ even though I always liked it in pregnancy. Thanks for the help w/ the pictures too Dan!
Old 08-08-2004, 06:57 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks Chy! I'm just admitting to myself that I might have a problem, after wondering for years! The health scare did it! Hopefully I'm ok ~ I am a little bit o n the hypochodriac side - but the Dr. alarmed me when he asked how much i drank and thought the throat could be related! Keep fingers crossed!!
Old 08-08-2004, 07:42 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  
we're all mad here!

Coming by late to say Welcome Polly! Ask as many questions as you want
Old 08-09-2004, 04:57 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad you posted, Polly. You're asking most of the same questions I asked months ago when I first arrived here.

The people here are wonderful, and they all bring rich experience with them. Like you, I was a "controlled" drinker for years. And like your husband, my wife doubts that I need AA. But you're the one to decide, because only you know the true depth and extent of your problem.

Most of all, keep coming here and posting. It's been enormously helpful to me.
Old 08-09-2004, 05:17 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR Polly
I was a " controlled" drinker too. I drank only at night but everytime I touched the first glass I ended up drunk. Also I felt the I needed it, I remember once I was on holiday in a small town where my father had an house ( he sold it), in this town there was a bar where young people used to go everynight so I started going there everynight too. I had got so used that I had to be there everynight and when my father decided to dine somewhere else I always wanted to come back home in order to go get my drink. I never realized it could be because of alcohol until I started attending meetings
Old 09-17-2004, 06:21 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I took awhile off but decided I could drink wine (all I usually drink) w/ no prob. Lat night I got stressed and drank 4? glasses (pretty much all bottle) took Xanax and a sleeping pill. Not the 1st time I've had too much, but def. b/c of stress!
Old 09-17-2004, 10:47 AM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi Polly
Sorry I'm late! I'm Rowan, alcoholic and I am glad you're here. First of all, PLEASE do not mix alcohol with Xanax and sleeping pill - not a good idea. I had a difficult time
admitting I was an alcoholic in the beginning - I just didn't equate myself with my
image of the brown paper bag variety alkie - but eventually I told myself that it was
less important what I called myself and more important what I DID about it.
Love and prayers to you. Keep coming back we need you here.
God Bless
Love Rowan
Old 09-17-2004, 11:00 AM
  # 20 (permalink)  
ted
OH SH!T

HEY POLLY,THE ZX AND SLEPPING PILLS CAN BE FATAL MIXED WITH ALCOHOL. :dead:
I HOPE YOU RETHINK THAT ONE.
AA JUST MIGHT GIVE YOU AN OUTLET FOR YOUR STRESS.
I HOPE YOU FIND THE ANSWER YOUR LOOKING FOR...........ted