Notices

Went to prison today

Old 01-07-2015, 04:08 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Went to prison today

.....with a group of students from my school for an educational opportunity. It was a prison I hadn't been in before (professionally). Despite the fact that I do a lot of volunteer work with our Department of Corrections outside of the correctional facilities and have worked for many years with female offenders in various jobs I've had, this was a unique experience for me. There is no real reason other than pure luck that I didn't end up in prison because of various behaviors when I was actively using. We listened to an inmate share his story how he ended up where he was. He killed a woman while he was driving drunk. I remember this event well as it was a local guy. I can't really judge this person as I didn't have a chance to talk with him one on one....however, I am. (It's a character defect I'm still working on).

This guy went on and on about how unique he was and how unique his situation was and how much better off he is as far as education, physical size, position within the hierarchy at the prison....it made my skin crawl. He talked a lot about AA but it was all "book talk".....he made a lot of quotes from the Big Book but didn't talk about how he was "walking the talk". I'm very scared for him. More importantly, it made me realize how important it is for me to be humble and to not ever think I'm better than anyone or anything. I used to think I was different and that I could handle this drinking "thing". I cannot. I used to think that my 13 years of being clean and sober made me not have a problem anymore. My relapse on alcohol lasted 8 long years.

I need to remain teachable and to never stop learning and reflecting on my recovery experience. Despite the fact that I may accumulate some sober time, I am one bad choice away from being where this guy is now.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Trudgin

I heard a story today on the radio while headed to a meeting, maybe you'll enjoy it :

A gent with some $$ bought a nice, large sailboat/yacht. His wife questioned him - umm, you don't know how to sail - do you??

Well, not yet! But, I have a bunch of books and I will take it around the harbor to learn.

So for 90 days he did. Read everything he could - then took the very large boat around the harbor a few times. Finally he exclaimed to his wife - I am ready to sail!
He went on to explain he had bought and read all the charts which indicated where the huge rocks were and sandbars. He convinced her to come aboard.

So, as he sailed around the harbor - again he stated, No worries - I have educated myself through reading and know where are the boulder are. Then, BAM! He hit a submerged rock pile and ripped the keel open from bow to stern.

She looked and him........and he at here. Sheepishly, he stated - see that was a rock!!

The point of course is knowledge, as you have pointed out - does not alone keep us sober. Time, action and working with others - maybe take a few lessons and don't rush.

Those are some things I have learned about my new sobriety.....easy does it

Nice Thread!
Thanks for posting

Kind Regards,
FlyN
Old 01-07-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks, soberclover. Great post. Lots of food for thought.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:53 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thank you Soberclover
Old 01-07-2015, 05:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Telling people what they want to hear....oh well, be grateful for your Sobriety. Whatever happens to him, happens.

Bunnez
Old 01-07-2015, 06:58 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Thank you soberclover for sharing. Scary, I bet. Even in prison, he isn't getting it. He's lost it all in most senses of the word, and he doesn't get it.