Notices

NA beer or wine?

Old 01-08-2015, 08:22 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  
I will NOT drink to that!

I am choosing to stay away from any NA beers, wine, etc. because I don't want to mimick the behaviors that brought me here. It's an unhealthy behavior for me, so I would much rather replace that behavior completely.

I drank to get drunk, not for the taste. So, yeah, that won't work for me.
Old 01-08-2015, 08:38 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by doggonecarl View Post
Extreme example?

I've read on the Substance Abuse forum that there are recovering intravenous drug users who, when overwhelmed by cravings, shoot up with saline. Are there any alcoholics here who don't think that's addictive behavior? That it's okay? After all, they aren't shooting up heroin or cocaine..
When I got sober there was a detox in the small town I lived in and I was able to see the clients at meetings regularly.
One resorted to shooting up,and I don't know how,motor oil when heroin wasnt available.
And a coke head snorting aspirin when coke wasn't available.
Andd a crackhead smoking baking soda.
Actually,that last one was me.
Old 01-08-2015, 09:12 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

I think it might be a bit different to want to taste something that is actually edible than to put a toxic foreign substance in your veins. I used to be very big into good wines and beers, so yes I like the taste in addition to the buzz it gives me. Yes I understand breaking addictive behaviors but if that's the case then I shouldn't be drinking carbonated water in the evening either....right?
Old 01-08-2015, 09:23 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
Forum Leader

Originally Posted by leharris111 View Post
I think it might be a bit different to want to taste something that is actually edible than to put a toxic foreign substance in your veins. I used to be very big into good wines and beers, so yes I like the taste in addition to the buzz it gives me. Yes I understand breaking addictive behaviors but if that's the case then I shouldn't be drinking carbonated water in the evening either....right?
It's really a decision you will have to make for yourself. I was a beer snob for many years, but looking back the idea that I was drinking the beer for it's "taste" was really just another lie I told myself to justify my drinking.

I did drink N/A beer for a while after I quit, and I felt the exact same way as you do. After time though, I started drinking the N/A beer just like I did regular beer - gulping, drinking fast, hiding it, etc. And I can tell you with 100% certainly that you won't drink it for the taste - it tastes like crap.