Notices

The fim "Flight" with Denzel Washington

Old 01-07-2015, 06:54 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Member

The fim "Flight" with Denzel Washington

I watched a film in December before I stopped drinking, called Flight, starring Denzel Washington as a Pilot, who miraculously lands a plane saving almost all the passenger in an impossible landing. He did this while drunk and the film is around him coming to terms with being an alcoholic and finally concludes where he is in a meeting in jail and he says "I just couldnt tell another lie..."

I found the film difficult to watch at the time, a little to close to the truth, but I have just watched it again this afternoon and very well acted, but it made me realise that there is a part of you, that just gives up when your drinking. A part of you that wants to get outed and caught.

Its like a inner part of your soul is screaming from inside to the world, saying Help and some people are able to listen and stop or try to stop, while other pass away.

I strongly recommend this film to anyone.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:04 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

That is a very good film and a very good point Lancashire
Old 01-07-2015, 07:14 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Do your best

I have this film at home its a exellent movie you might be interested in this movie thread some great films Lancashire

took me a while to find but i found it here you go http://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/...ng-movies.html
Old 01-07-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Agreed. It was very difficult to watch. It portrayed the behaviors and struggles of alcoholism very well.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Trudgin

It struck me that what his perceptions were turned out to be very different from reality. Gee, that sounds familiar
Old 01-07-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

It's a great watch!!
Old 01-07-2015, 09:30 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

I agree, it was a good film. I wasn't so sure though, as the film started out. Lol. I thought... ugh, another hollywood-ed up drinking movie. There were some memorable parts that hit home though.

I can relate to what you said... that there's an inner part of us screaming for the world to hear. I had that too
Old 01-07-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

That movie reminds me of some very high functioning alcoholics I know. Just waiting for their fall.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was talking to a girl I work with about this movie, though I haven't seen it. She said she got so mad at him (Denzel) over the course of the movie, "like, DUDE! Just stop it!"

Yeah, dude! Just stop it!

Maybe I'll watch this later today. Sounds good.

I've definitely fantasized about being recognized as an alcoholic. Like maybe a bunch of people would get together and intervene on my behalf, because they care. Not going to happen though. I got myself here and it's up to me to help myself, now.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:46 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sobriety is Traditional

I think Denzel's character caused the accident by recklessly trying to make the plane climb above bad weather. As an alcoholic, I actually created or exacerbated most of the disasters in my life.
Old 01-07-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

I still haven't watched it, for no apparent reason. It's on my list though.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:03 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

The fridge scene hit home, it is exactly what I would have done, hands down!

At times my alcoholism did feel like a silent scream.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:22 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by GracieLou View Post
The fridge scene hit home, it is exactly what I would have done, hands down!
Yeah, that scene... I cringed. Yeah, so predictable Hard to watch, too.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

I related to the Denzel character. Although I was never in a job where people's lives where in the balance, I have been under the influence numerous times in work environments. I've gone into work half drunk fr the night before and would often skip out at lunch for a couple pints to ward off withdrawal symptoms. I have had vodka in water bottles on me on other occasions. Madness.
Old 01-07-2015, 11:00 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

I'm convinced to watch it now, too.

I recently found DVDs of "Breaking Bad" TV series in the library (I don't have cable TV at home). I started watching from the first episode and I'm now in the middle of season 2. When I began watching, I was still in my "who cares if I'm drunk" phase and what the lead character was going through seemed normal to me. But as I watched an episode last night, I recognized that the lies he is telling his family about his secret life were exactly like the lies I told my family about drinking. Kind of a shock.
Old 01-07-2015, 02:55 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Good movie!
Old 01-07-2015, 07:11 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Its a tough but good watch. Its so cut and dry from the outside in. You say to yourself, just stop. We all know thats easier said than done. The fridge scene rang true. Just one to relax. Feel better, one more wont hurt. Another, ive drank more and functioned fine the next day. Then pendulum swings to AV. Keep drinking till all the booze is gone.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:23 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Coldfusion View Post
I think Denzel's character caused the accident by recklessly trying to make the plane climb above bad weather. As an alcoholic, I actually created or exacerbated most of the disasters in my life.
Wasn't he asleep when it plane started to nose dive? It was a mechanical failure of some sort not the pilots fault.
Old 01-07-2015, 07:33 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

I watched it when I was just a couple weeks sober. Some scenes triggered powerful cravings for me so much that I had to stop watching and go for a walk... it did not only remind me of my alcoholism, but also when I was in a relationship with another alcoholic in the past who remained in denial about it.
I liked the film a lot. The ending was bittersweet but very uplifting for me.
Old 01-07-2015, 08:01 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Flight spoke to me. Another film spoke to me as well. I just checked and it is on youtube, so is free.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a98W-vW0sh4