Notices

Back to where I was

Old 07-20-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 81 (permalink)  

((Cauliflower))

Good for you. Great post. I'm sure it will be an inspiration for those early in quit or contemplating.

I'm really happy for you
Old 07-20-2015, 08:27 PM
  # 82 (permalink)  

Congrats cauliflower. Looking good there. Keep on keeping on.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:13 PM
  # 83 (permalink)  
Re-Member

Congrats on 90 days, Cauliflower! You are absolutely right about that first drink being the problem drink. Very proud of you and look forward to continuing to watch you progress in your recovery.
Old 07-20-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 84 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Calitano View Post
Stick with it and believe in yourself. It does get easier and life gets way more interesting and subtle.
More interesting and subtle - I like that.
Old 07-21-2015, 05:51 AM
  # 85 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Tooshabby View Post
More interesting and subtle - I like that.
I like that too!
Life changing experience, I am so glad to be in a more subtle place. It's easier to deal with what life throws at me, and less dramatic!
Old 07-21-2015, 09:41 AM
  # 86 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go on 90 days thats incredible Cauliflower
Old 07-28-2015, 09:32 AM
  # 87 (permalink)  

You are a child of the universe….

I am sharing this poem from a thread in newcomers because I thought it was beautiful!

Desiderata (Desire)

Go placidly amid the noise and haste, and remember what peace there may be in silence.
As far as possible without surrender be on good terms with all persons.
Speak your truth quietly and clearly; and listen to others, even the dull and ignorant; they too have their story.
Avoid loud and aggressive persons, they are vexations to the spirit.
If you compare yourself with others, you may become vain and bitter;
for always there will be greater and lesser persons than yourself.

Enjoy your achievements as well as your plans.
Keep interested in your career, however humble; it is a real possession in the changing fortunes of time.
Exercise caution in your business affairs; for the world is full of trickery.
But let this not blind you to what virtue there is; many persons strive for high ideals;
and everywhere life is full of heroism.

Be yourself.
Especially, do not feign affection.
Neither be critical about love; for in the face of all aridity and disenchantment it is as perennial as the grass.

Take kindly the counsel of the years, gracefully surrendering the things of youth.
Nurture strength of spirit to shield you in sudden misfortune. But do not distress yourself with imaginings.
Many fears are born of fatigue and loneliness. Beyond a wholesome discipline, be gentle with yourself.

You are a child of the universe, no less than the trees and the stars;
you have a right to be here.
And whether or not it is clear to you, no doubt the universe is unfolding as it should.

Therefore be at peace with God, whatever you conceive Him to be,
and whatever your labors and aspirations, in the noisy confusion of life keep peace with your soul.
With all its sham, drudgery and broken dreams, it is still a beautiful world. Be cheerful. Strive to be happy.

Max Ehrmann

You are a child of the universe….
The other night, I was lying in bed listening to the rain hit our windows and the thunder. I thought about the storm clouds above our house, above our continent, above our planet. My mind drifted as I visualized our planet, and this little storm, I was transported, in my mind, to the space above the storm and I was looking down at the earth and how small we really are. I was transported beyond and saw the universe and looked down and could not see my little spot on earth. We are tiny, but we are meant to do great things with our lives here, and I don’t mean change the world or become filthy rich. I mean, we are to enjoy ourselves, our lives, be at peace, to have no fear, to just go with the flow.

I guess it’s no coincidence that my Day 1 was Earth Day according to my calendar. Day 98, none for me today.
Old 07-28-2015, 10:39 AM
  # 88 (permalink)  

I'm so happy for you cauliflower. That's awesome.
Old 10-15-2015, 08:35 AM
  # 89 (permalink)  

Smile

Originally Posted by Cauliflower View Post
I was here about 3 months ago, thinking about what it would be like to admit that I have a problem with alcohol. I lasted 14 days when I decided that I was ok, and could handle another drink. Since then, it seems like I am drinking more! I find I am in a pattern of drinking...drink one night, sick one day, feel better one day, drink again. I am now on a sick day yet again.

I now notice that I started to rationalize my drinking over the last 3 months. I said things like, "yup, did it again! Oh Well, the past is in the past, today is a new day!" I found myself ignoring my last visit here....ignoring that 3 months ago I thought I was an alcoholic....ignoring that I once tried to quit drinking...ignoring that 3 months ago I KNEW I had to quit drinking.

I am now back and I am going to try again. I didn't tell anyone yet, I am to embarrassed to admit to anyone but myself that I have a problem. I am really going to try this time, and I know this forum will help me.
Oh my goodness Cauliflower, this is also my story. PLEASE for your sake, tell someone you trust. Until we admit, we have no accountability. I am STILL battling this beast after joining and being serious about it in 2011......it has only progressed and gotten to the point my family sees the problem and is supporting me and demanding I beat this. I have not acheived success, yet, but I have walked your exact situation. I support you!!! I pray that you won't go around and around with this like I have for another 4 or 5 years
Old 10-15-2015, 08:40 AM
  # 90 (permalink)  

I have had similar problems rubber banding between sobriety and the drink, hang in there and keep pushing for sobriety! I'm glad you are committed to trying.
Old 10-22-2015, 10:42 AM
  # 91 (permalink)  

A few thoughts at 6 months sober:

I don't know when I will ever get used to my 9 year old telling people that I'm an alcoholic and don't drink. It's just pure unfiltered innocence at this age. I don't even try to explain, I just shrug and smile. Most people he blurts it out too just smile with that too familiar nervous laugh because they are shocked or embarrassed and have no idea what to say!

I have gone deep, and I am learning more and more that I am an important soul. I am discovering myself as a person to be reckoned with. I have a confidence that is growing and rising every day. I really surprise myself with what comes out of me, guilt free. It's guilt free, because it's me. It's not coming from me after a few glasses of wine, it's coming from the real me. Self discovery is a beautiful thing.

I am discovering a soulful me. It's really unique, and amazing at the same time. I don't know if it's natural for people to become spiritual during recovery, but as a non religious person - I don't need all the pomp and circumstance of ritual - I am accepting that there is a force greater then me, and I am graciously giving into my faith of this power. I am awake, and I am happily moving forward in hope that there is more to life then what I see in front of me. I have never felt more alive and well!

I don't feel that I need to flaunt my person. I don't need, nor crave acceptance. I am happy to be an open book to anyone who wants to know me, but I won't go out of my way for attention. I am quit happy just being me, take it or leave it. I am finding new joy in the people that I am meeting, because to me, these new friends are truly meant to be. I love discovering why these people where placed in my path.

Sobriety has sparked something in me. My creativity is flourishing. My mind is clear and focused. I am happy. Happy once again, and it's only been 6 months. If you can imagine it, you can do it. If you are struggling with your drinking you can just put it down. Go through the motions; go through the emotions, shift through them, and come out on the other side with greater joy and an unimagined clarity of your life and what you are capable of doing. I'm not talking great accomplishments that will put you on a podium, I'm talking great accomplishments that will put you on top of the world!
Old 10-22-2015, 01:21 PM
  # 92 (permalink)  

Quit and never quit quitting.

Welcome back...
Old 10-22-2015, 01:30 PM
  # 93 (permalink)  

Congrats on 6 months Cauliflower. Sounds like you are doing great!
Old 10-22-2015, 02:14 PM
  # 94 (permalink)  

Wow, just read the whole thread, uve come so far, alot of what u describe sounds just like me, kids in bed its wine'o'clock!!!! I hope i do as well as u, u sound very happy
Old 10-23-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 95 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by NewFighter View Post
Oh my goodness Cauliflower, this is also my story. PLEASE for your sake, tell someone you trust. Until we admit, we have no accountability. I am STILL battling this beast after joining and being serious about it in 2011......it has only progressed and gotten to the point my family sees the problem and is supporting me and demanding I beat this. I have not acheived success, yet, but I have walked your exact situation. I support you!!! I pray that you won't go around and around with this like I have for another 4 or 5 years
NewFighter, I have battled this problem for years myself. Acceptance is key. Once you accept you have a problem; once you accept that the alcoholism only gets worse over time, and way way worse after each relapse; only then will your subconscious mind come alive and it gets harder and harder to do something that you know is killing you. With acceptance is gets harder and harder to take that first drink that you know and accept will lead to a black out, awful hangover and guilt. We don`t need to live with guilt.
Old 10-23-2015, 09:52 AM
  # 96 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by loulou1981 View Post
Wow, just read the whole thread, uve come so far, alot of what u describe sounds just like me, kids in bed its wine'o'clock!!!! I hope i do as well as u, u sound very happy
loulou! I am so happy that you found this thread. I am very happy. The journey to sober is no walk in the park, but the destination is! Keep focused on what you want to attain and you will find it in your self to get there. I didn`t want to suffer anymore, I just wanted to live each day filled with gratitude, to love and be loved with every inch of my heart. Once you get there, then life promises to just fall into place. (((hugs)))
Old 10-23-2015, 10:49 AM
  # 97 (permalink)  
Do your best

Congrats Cauliflower
Old 10-23-2015, 10:53 AM
  # 98 (permalink)  

An excerpt from an article I read yesterday:

"She’s aware of the tweeting/drinking mommies. She doesn’t find it funny either. She calls it the “feminization of getting blotto,” a “Bridesmaids” culture that celebrates women getting drunk. Yet women, she says, are at a disadvantage, biologically speaking. “To be gravely affected,” she writes, quoting the Big Book of Alcoholics Anonymous, “one does not necessarily have to drink for a long time nor take the quantities some of us have. Potential female alcoholics often turn into the real thing and are gone beyond recall in a few years.”

When ?mommy needs a drink? isn?t funny anymore - Salon.com

Is it just me, or do you sometimes find yourself rolling your eyes at your alcohol drinking friend's facebook photos of their first glass of wine saying things like, "Awe, perfect end to a long day!" or these posts, "Glass of wine with my bestie!"

I'm posting this not because I want to think all my friends are closet alcoholics and that no one can just drink one glass of wine - In my drinking days, I was a "normie" (normal drinker) on facebook, but a complete wreck in real life.
I'm posting this, because in recovery, if we look at these facebook posts in a moment of weakness, we may truly believe our addictive voice and yearn to just be like our friends and unwind with a glass of wine at the end of a long day, or celebrate with our bff with a glass of wine while we do each others hair (ok, that last bit was tongue in cheek!) but you get it, right?

For us, we can't live that fantasy. We can never have a glass of wine to unwind, but it doesn't mean we have to walk around wound up tight, ready to explode any second. We can unwind with a bath, a deep breath, a mug of hot tea. I don't know about you, but a raging hangover never really worked to unwind after a long day.

This is something that my AV was niggling at me about recently, so I just thought I would share!
Old 10-23-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 99 (permalink)  
Administrator

Congratulations again Cauliflower

D
Old 10-26-2015, 11:23 AM
  # 100 (permalink)  

Grace Wins

Lyrics from my newest favorite song:

"Grace Wins" by Matthew West

In my weakest moment I see you
Shaking your head in disgrace