Go Back  SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information > New to Addiction and Recovery? > Newcomers to Recovery
Reload this Page >

Panic Attacks & high blood pressure after four weeks of sobriety

Notices

Old 04-30-2014, 12:08 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Hi,

After four weeks of sobriety I had my first (afer going sober) mild panic attack yesterday and I am struggling with anxiety and high blood pressure 150 - 170 over 90 - 105.

Is this normal? How long can I expect to have problems with anxiety? Will my blood pressure return to normal gradually if I drink absolutely no alcohol?

I had a sober period last year for about two months (aug-sept) during which I didn't have any anxiety but did have high blood pressure. I returned to drinking over Oct to March and began to have issues with panic attacks, dizziness, shortness of breath, heart palpitations, numbness/tingling in my right arm (not left!) all of which I believe are related to anxiety disorders and panic disorders. All usually on the monday/tuesday after a weekend of heavier drinking.

As a result I have decided to cease all alcohol for at least 12 months however four weeks into my sobriety I am wondering what the progression of withdrawal symptoms will be.

My drinking history has been for the last 10 years mostly daily consumption of 4 to 6 bottles (375ml) of 3.5 to 4.5% beer with this increasing on weekends to up to 12 bottles per day. I tend to prefer mid-strength beer as I have never enjoyed getting very drunk. Intermittently during this period I would have days and weeks off and usually tried for a couple of nights off per week but sometimes drank every night of the week.

My biggest concern is does the high blood pressure indicate potential problems with my heart that I need to get checked and how quickly will the anxiety issues resolve? I am able to do medium level exercise such as 10km walks and heavy weight lifting and walk at least 10,000 steps a day so think my heart is ok and have not ever had chest pains.

Any comments on what I can expect over the next few weeks and months?

Thanks.
Old 04-30-2014, 12:21 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Hi John - welcome

We can't offer you any medical advice here - anxiety and even panic attacks are part of many people's early recovery...but if you're concerned about that, or your high BP, or you have specific queries you really need to discuss it with a Dr.

As far as when does the anxiety lifts it varies for everyone.

If you had a pre-history of anxiety naturally it's probably going to stick around, as mine did, although in the years since it's gotten substantially better...

if this is a new phenomenon, you may find it gets better over coming weeks...but again as I say - not a Dr.

D
Old 04-30-2014, 12:28 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Thanks

I am not expecting medical advice and will see a doctor if I feel the problems are getting too difficult to handle or are serious.

Just hoping for some feedback on what others have experienced and how they handled it.

Cheers
Old 04-30-2014, 12:31 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Administrator

I am not expecting medical advice and will see a doctor if I feel the problems are getting too difficult to handle or are serious.
Cool - just making sure everyone who contributes to the thread is on the same page John

Glad you found us

D
Old 04-30-2014, 12:37 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober since October

Location: In the world in my eyes...Somewhere I've never been before...
Hi, John. Welcome to SR.

I personally never experienced high blood pressure after quitting alcohol.

I had some anxiety issues, but not real panic attacks. It took me half a year or so to decrease anxiety.

And, I'd say that 150-170 is pretty high and I'd not postpone visit to the doctor. It may be related to quitting, maybe not. Take care of your health.

Hope everything will be fine soon.

Best wishes to you.
Old 04-30-2014, 04:45 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Hi John, congrats on your four weeks, that's an achievement and something to build on.

You don't say in your OP if you are currently being treated for elevated bp. When I went into sobriety in March 2013 I was being treated for somewhat raised bp, it spiked a little initially and then went down very slowly and consistently, I'm now talking a scrap of my original medication (according to doctor's instructions). My bp is now usually around 100-110/65-70 which is excellent for a woman my age (59).

Your bp readings are higher than normal as mine were so you'd be best advised to go to your doctor and be checked out. S/he will assess your weight, family medical history, risk factors and then either monitor your bp or prescribe some medication and monitor as you progress through sobriety. No big deal. Mention the panic attacks while you are there, the two could well be related.

Leaving it and hoping for the best is not a good choice, a holistic approach to recovery will give you a much better chance of success and also relieve your natural anxiety about the raised bp.
Old 04-30-2014, 07:56 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

my bp went from elevated to low (normal) in a short time, my anxiety has lessened, but it was something I had since a wee tot. something I still have to work on without meds.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:04 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

John,

It is the anxiety that is raising the blood pressure. I went to a doctor and have white coat hypertension and my blood pressure at the doctor's office was 208/108. Wow!

When not at a Dr., it can be quite normal. Anxiety can cause huge spikes in blood pressure.

Do you have a blood pressure monitor at home? If not, get one. I check my blood pressure twice a day, every day.

My blood pressure initially when drinking everyday was quite high and I needed all the pills (3) that my Dr. prescribed for me. Now that I do not drink every day, I take 1/8 of what was originally prescribed.

Go to the Dr. and get some medication is my advice and then get a monitor for at home and keep your eye on it. It may just be temporary (blood pressure can have abnormal spikes, not uncommon), but if it is high and stays high, you may need to be on medication for life.
Old 04-30-2014, 08:08 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I applaud you for decision.

That being said, sobriety (sudden sobriety, that is) comes with its inherent risks. High blood-pressure is one of them.

I suggest that you see a doctor and be honest with him.

(I am currently refusing medical treatment due to the inherent stigma. I am suffering the consequences.)

Best wishes and good luck to you
Old 05-03-2014, 11:04 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

In addition to consulting with your doctor, I would also consider making sure you eat a balanced meal for 3 meals per day with protien, carbs, healthy fats and vegetables and healthy snacks. Consider simple meditation and stress management. Lots of classes and free info available. Great books on stress management. I dont' think you can overlook the fact that we use alcohol to help manage stress and a lot of feelings come up all at once that can affect body physiology. A good holistic doctor such as a natropath or functional medicine doctor can be helpful too. Alcohol kills the good bacteria in your gut and our GI tracts help manage a lot of hormones that govern the brain activity and can affect anxiety, depression, etc... (gut is considered 2nd brain by many researchers). A holistic doctor could help manage blood pressure and get your GI system in good shape too! Whole body healing!!! Not medication if you can help it. Of course if you are on bp medication as a temporary thing that is fine. But holistic docs can get you through this phase too.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:09 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

JohnDoeing - just bumping here to see how you are doing. I am not a doctor but I also feel that your anxiety must be causing the spikes in blood pressure. The thoughts about BP cause more anxiety and then it is a vicious cycle. Going to the doctor and having everything looked at is the best solution.

Please give us an update.