Notices

More than two years in, a new milestone...

Old 01-05-2015, 11:49 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

More than two years in, a new milestone...

Well, I figured that after two plus years of sobriety I'd probably hit all the milestones I ever would and went through all the changes I had to make. Until last week. I ended up having a blowout argument with a very irresponsible family member. Even a few months ago my first knee-jerk reaction would have been eff it, I really could use a drink! Don't misunderstand me...three months ago I wouldn't have actually drank but I would have had the impulse. Well, now it never even crossed my mind. Instead I took a drive to cool off then came back and started making a plan to address the situation.

Funny how things keep changing. I guess change truly is the one constant in sobriety..and in life!
Old 01-05-2015, 11:50 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Great Post and congrats on your continued Sobriety! Your Amazing!
Old 01-06-2015, 02:43 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

Awesome! I want that.

Thanks for providing more motivation to honor my sobriety.
Old 01-06-2015, 02:47 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Way to go MOS 2 years is great well done this news is awesome bud

Congrats
Old 01-06-2015, 02:56 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I am happy to hear this, Myth. I was disappointed in myself over Christmas as when dealing with an alcoholic member of my family, my urges to want to drink were HUGE. I didn't drink, but at 15 months sober, I was hoping those urges wouldn't be as strong as they were. So, your post is very heartening to me.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:02 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MythOfSisyphus View Post
Well, I figured that after two plus years of sobriety I'd probably hit all the milestones I ever would and went through all the changes I had to make. Until last week....
I don't think it is possible to hit all the milestones in life until I die, sober.

I will be coming up on two years soon and I don't think I have even scraped the surface but all that has happened and all that will happen does not matter as much as the fact that I am sober while they happen.

It is amazing to me sometimes that I am sober. I am living and dealing with things and it hits me, Wow, I am sober.

I have a rough day or week or even a month and I get through it and again, wow, I am still sober. Amazes me to this day how much the program of AA and the fellowship has been there to see me through and how differently I react to life in general.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:18 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Well done on 2 years Myth. That's brilliant!

L x
Old 01-06-2015, 04:01 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
for myself

This was very inspiring to read.... I hope I can one day cope with stress without turning to drugs and alcohol impulsively.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:27 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Well done Myth

I can relate. Today I had a row with my soon to be ex husband. When I got into the car to drive home my first thought was not getting a drink but breathing deeply to calm down and thinking how best to let the situation pass.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:37 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Well done on two years, Myth!!! Wonderful.

Achieving new milestones in sobriety is fantastic. I hope they never end; they show that we are still growing in and 'living' our sobriety; we are keeping it strong. It is so important to be mindful of and remain strong in our sobriety so that when we are challenged by life or when the earth truly rumbles beneath our feet, we are ready to respond in a healthy, sober way.

Thanks, Myth, for this reminder.
Old 01-06-2015, 09:26 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on your sobriety! Glad you got through it...
Old 01-06-2015, 03:50 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Fantastic!!
Old 01-06-2015, 04:05 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

2 years is awesome, Myth
Old 01-07-2015, 01:03 AM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Thanks all. My brother lives me; he's an adolescent in the body of a guy in his mid-40's. All his life someone has taken care of him, be it a wife, a girlfriend, or after getting kicked out by a GF either me or someone else in the family. He lives here and pays for nothing- no rent, no utilities, etc. My mom & sister help subsidize him. In the mean time he has a brand new car, several new guitars, he always has a new TV and computer, etc. Last weekend he broke the last straw! He was blasting his music til 6:00 am, waking me up and leading to a big fight (again). He doesn't work weekends but I'm a chef, half of my work week is the weekend so I have to be able get some damn peace and quiet to sleep!

After calming down I had a moment of clarity: This is a toxic situation that has to end. I'm looking for a smaller place now. My lease is month to month so I plan on getting out of my current house and into a smaller apt. I love my brother but I don't like him. From here on out he will have to sink or swim on his own...or at least be someone else's problem. In the past he got a pass from me since (surprise!) we would get plastered together. He doesn't have a drinking problem at all. He can get drunk if he likes then not drink again for months. I can see that he was an enabler and that to get to the "next stage" I have to move on. I don't plan to cut the ties or anything, I just need to separate myself from his juvenile lifestyle. He can drink and party til the sun comes out but I can't. Time to make the change, I think.
Old 01-07-2015, 03:23 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your two years! I applaud your moving plan!
Old 01-07-2015, 06:11 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  

well done MOS.

one thing for certain, the world does not change, it's how we change and learn to function in it that is key to our long lived sobriety