Notices

Where's the public?

Old 01-06-2015, 12:52 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MelindaFlowers View Post
I think there is just some part of the human psyche that always will think "not me! Won't happen to me!!! Especially in our teens and twenties. This gets a lot of people into trouble.

Heck, I used to watch Intervention with a drink in my hand and think "Not me! Won't happen to me!" And I am a reasonably intelligent, reasonably wise person.
Fortunately I never bought into that thought. It made it so I was prepared when a fire broke out in my house and I could quickly put it out. Otherwise the house would have burned down!
Old 01-06-2015, 12:57 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Drinking does seem to be a "right of passage" in our society (and others). And the advertising is everywhere. Looking out the office window right now, I can see two separate billboards promoting one brand of booze or another.

Both of my parents were alkies while I growing up. I didn't touch a drop until college...where freshmen living in the dorms who *didn't* drink were endlessly teased and even punched around. I began drinking my second semester of Freshman year (drinking age was 18 in those days). How much was due to peer pressure, or just my own curiosity I cannot say. Whatever the case, I began drinking in earnest..and did off and on for the next 37 years.
Old 01-06-2015, 01:32 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

It is kind of interesting. Alcohol related illness/incidents cost our healthcare system billions of dollars each year. And it does seem like the only outcry we see is indirectly in the form of news reports about DUI accidents, assaults, rapes or even murders in which one or both parties was under the influence of alcohol.

Alcohol is also so entrenched in our culture as part of the social experience. What alarms me is how many very young people get this idea in their heads that drinking is the ultimate way to have fun. I work with a lot of teenagers and kids entering their early 20s and all they talk about is getting drunk. And I'll actually ask them if they realize that there are better, healthier, and not to mention more youthful, ways to have fun. And a lot of the time they'll look at me like I have two heads. It saddens me to be honest.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:06 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by ScottFromWI View Post
It's an age-old cop out to blame society for our ills when we are truly the only ones who can make the difference.
I completely agree, and I hope I didn't imply that I was asking society to fix my problems for me. I take accountability for my action, and I'm very vocal about that on here and elsewhere.

I was just stating that I found it interesting that municipalities invest millions in anti-tobacco, obesity, and drug prevention campaigns while staying relatively quiet about alcoholism. Drunk driving campaigns are great, but many are driven by organizations like M.A.D.D. and focus more on the second-hand effects of alcoholism, not alcoholics themselves.

And again, it's not that I'm perplexed that there are so few campaigns geared towards sobriety or sober programs, but that the subject isn't a larger part of the national dialogue. Personally, I think sober people (non-alcholics) have invalid, even irrational, opinions about alcoholism.

Most think that alcoholics should be able to moderate, or can drink again after a detox. And why wouldn't they? One of the only organizations to claim otherwise is AA, and they have a controversial reputation in the mainstream public. Psychological and medical research is largely limited to addictive personalities and withdrawal, and is not as readily available as research into tobacco and obesity.

Sorry if I made any rash implications. I didn't intend this thread to be exclusively relevant to personal recovery, just a discussion regarding how alcoholism and recovery is regarded by the general public. I wasn't saying it was "good" or "bad," just interesting and worthy conversation.
Old 01-06-2015, 07:27 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

Do you for even one moment think that maybe your thinking is messed up?
If so you are on the right track.
Keep moving on! Towards Recovery!
Because without it

you are dead!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:29 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by markz View Post
Do you for even one moment think that maybe your thinking is messed up?
If so you are on the right track.
Keep moving on! Towards Recovery!
Because without it

you are dead!
I'm not sure what you mean. I wasn't talking about my own outlook on recovery, I was referring to the general public's. I think it's interesting, but that doesn't mean it has any barring on where I'm heading.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:02 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

I am confused, please help me. Are we talking about the fact that I chose to abuse alcohol, that it is because there aren't enough commercials about the dangers?
Old 01-06-2015, 08:11 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mikie9 View Post
I am confused, please help me. Are we talking about the fact that I chose to abuse alcohol, that it is because there aren't enough commercials about the dangers?
Oh, internet, you never fail to confuse :P

No, not at all. I think (and this is just IMO) everyone should be accountable for their decisions and actions.

I just think it's interesting that tobacco, obesity, and drug abuse get a lot of press, but there isn't as much regarding alcoholism.

I didn't mean to imply anything about anyone's personal relationship to alcohol and how we choose to recover. It's just a discussion.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:18 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  
quat

For years I actively avoided thoughts and discussions of recovery. But I don't think the public's attitude at large toward the subject had any bearing. I was well aware of the attention paid to smoking tobacco and its effects , but continued smoking cigarettes.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:28 PM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by dwtbd View Post
For years I actively avoided thoughts and discussions of recovery. But I don't think the public's attitude at large toward the subject had any bearing. I was well aware of the attention paid to smoking tobacco and its effects , but continued smoking cigarettes.
In a lot of ways, the public's attitude towards smoking made me want to keep smoking. It made me feel like a rebel, a bad ***. The general attitude towards drinking on the other hand, being quiet, made it feel sad.

For whatever reason I've put more energy into sobriety, probably because I only smoke when I drink. Still, sobriety (and by default, abstaining from tobacco) comes from a personal decision to live healthy and fit. Considering the state of America, living fit seems like the ultimate rebellion. So I'm embracing it.
Old 01-06-2015, 08:33 PM
  # 31 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by philly76 View Post
Oh, internet, you never fail to confuse :P

No, not at all. I think (and this is just IMO) everyone should be accountable for their decisions and actions.

I just think it's interesting that tobacco, obesity, and drug abuse get a lot of press, but there isn't as much regarding alcoholism.

I didn't mean to imply anything about anyone's personal relationship to alcohol and how we choose to recover. It's just a discussion.
cool These things get more press than alcoholism true. But the people who are addicted to things aren't "taught" by commercials to avoid them. The fact that commercials are made for abuse of anything disturbs me. Just like not drinking is good for me, I had to learn that for myself, a commercial about it would have never have helped me. If I would have been taught this at a very young age my life would have been totally different.

But it isn't societies fault I ignored all warnings, made my own choices.

Good discussion, thank you for posting it up
Old 01-06-2015, 08:39 PM
  # 32 (permalink)  

This is a really thought provoking thread and topic. I dont have any real facts or figures, but I think and perceive that here in the US, the public and the government really dont care. Too many tax dollars created by alcohol taxes, too many dollars and jobs created by advertisers and the big beer/liquor companies. Saddens me
Old 01-07-2015, 04:41 AM
  # 33 (permalink)  

Now why would they try and kill a cash cow? And when it comes down to it they tried once, it didn't work out too well cause even the law makers were violating their own law. They don't want to show the ugly of the beast.

Here in the US, we have been bombarded with commercials of saving tigers.... We have whole families living on the streets and the do gooder groups are worried about tigers instead of addressing the issues where they count. It is easier to ignore what is in your face everyday by doing something for someone you don't know then to help your neighbor. It is why this country is so messed up in the recent years. We as a whole have lost touch with people and have no real sense of community any more.

Alcohol is a part of our society, the problems that alcohol create are just things to make laws on. This way the person with the problem can get pumped into the system and feed another cash cow. Problem solved.
Old 01-07-2015, 04:58 AM
  # 34 (permalink)  
Sober Member

I think on the whole in the UK, that our Government is doing all it reasonable can to get people to cut down.

We have the "drinkaware" Alcohol Advice | Drinkaware - for the facts about Alcohol this is a government initiative to try and highlight the dangers of drinking to excess.

The NHS (National Health Service) has a website about being alcohol aware.

Drinking and alcohol - Live Well - NHS Choices

Theres TalktoFrank for younger problem drinkers.

Alcohol | FRANK

Alcohol Concern (These guys referred me to Sober Recovery) https://www.alcoholconcern.org.uk

and also Alcohol Research UK Alcohol Research UK – Informing Policy and Practice

All of the above links are either Government Agencies or NGO/Charities.

There is a lot our Government do to give you the information, but the choices we make are our own. A ban isnt going to happen except where you are on a public street and there is an alcohol exclusion zone (but these are local government).

Hope this helps
Old 01-07-2015, 06:03 AM
  # 35 (permalink)  

yep, Bond, James Bond was certainly a heavy drinker...

BBC News - James Bond is an 'impotent drunk'

What we as 'regular' folks seem to not understand is that as long as money controls the world, societal problems will never vanish. Money flows uphill.
Alcohol is such a generator of cash for the one percent in so many ways. And for the most part - if not entirely absolute - is that they could not care less about people in general. The bottom line and having more more more is all that matters. The Gandhi's of the world, though admirable, have little or no effect on society as a whole.

So we who have issues with alcohol are on our own. That is why looking for outside help - real outside help as a function of society - is eons into the future. It's an interesting debate, or concept. But curing alcoholism is not profitable.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:25 AM
  # 36 (permalink)  

Yes, materialism will fuel hedonism and spare time-both prime environments for drinking. Maybe mandating b1 supplementation to all alcohol sold could be a step in the right direction but for who? Us 1% that did drink like that? From what I get from the stats is this: Problem drinkers make up roughly 10% of drinking-age folks. Those 10% consume over 50% of all alcohol sold. Not so mysterious.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:33 AM
  # 37 (permalink)  

I would say the reason there is not a crusade curb or stop alcohol abuse is because there are many more people who don't abuse alcohol than do. It seems like people want to just sweep us under the rug. It upsets me too! I don't like turning on the TV and seeing 10,000 beer commercials either. This is where the Serenity Prayer comes in for me.

"In the USA, 15% of Americans are problem drinkers, while between 5% to 10% of male and 3% to 5% of female drinkers could be diagnosed as alcohol dependent, according to the National Institutes of Health (NIH)."

Why would they spend millions of dollars on a crusade when only 5-10% of men and 3-5% of women are alcoholics according to their stats. They would lose WAY too much money.

*To their defense...I have seen lots of "drink responsibly" commercials and anti-drink driving commercials. Here are just a few that I posted below. There are literally thousands that can be found on YouTube that I have also seen on TV. Is this the kind of thing you are hoping to see or would you like to see more? Just curious. I find this topic very interesting.

http://youtu.be/CvnuSEQM78Y

http://youtu.be/DtRnksUO1SY

http://youtu.be/o9JMaaVecv8

http://youtu.be/NxYIxdBrBPE

http://youtu.be/QalnisJfHEw

http://youtu.be/5b69J_bMoYk

http://youtu.be/7F5o3NSHMoM
Old 01-07-2015, 06:50 AM
  # 38 (permalink)  

We have problems the majority do not. The alcohol isn't to blame.
Old 01-07-2015, 06:57 AM
  # 39 (permalink)  

why should the public be bothered about my drink problem ?

most of the public dont have a problem with drinking and would want to punch me on the nose if i went around telling them that drink should be banned or anyone who drinks should be made to feel like there doing something wrong

its me who has the problem with drink not the public who has the problem

i spent my whole life trying to drink like a normal human being who can take a few drinks and go home without any trouble at all

it never happend for me as my path would be take a drink end up getting drunk as a skunk and many times end up in trouble as i hurt people or did something humiliating etc

the longer i did it the more serious the trouble i ended up in like waking up in police cells trying to remember what i was there for
getting banned from driving, drunk and disorderly, fighting, you name it i ended up doing it
i never did these things sober yet i would be judged and had to pay the price like anyone who was sober would have to

it was my excuse i was not sober but they didn't care less the message was do something about your drinking or end up in jail so jail i would go many times as i couldnt get it why i couldnt drink like everyone else ??????

anyway the point is its me who has the drink problem not the public. so its me who has to change not me trying to change everyone else
Old 01-07-2015, 07:15 AM
  # 40 (permalink)  

the same argument can be said for obese children and diabetes,
Do you want to 'super size' that order? Do you want a big gulp? I want my 'happy meal'.
Is it the child's fault? I guess so...

Many, if not most, of the ills of society are self-induced. The incidents of disease are far greater now than decades ago. Why? Because of instant life. Progress has made our lives easier. Fast food, microwave chemically enhanced food. Chemically enhanced food at the produce section. The list goes on. The air you breathe inside your home is full of chemicals.
I'm getting off on a tangent... But why does society pour millions into many of these 'other' self-induced [problems]? I don't have enough space to explain it...