Notices

Quitting smoking

Old 01-05-2015, 04:57 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Quitting smoking

I have 5 cigerettes left, that will last the rest of my work day.
I'm extremely nervous, it's my last crutch I have.
But I want to be healthy and save more money.
Any tips or suggestions to get me through.
Old 01-05-2015, 05:42 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi Mytime, Im on day 6 now it's not easy but am determined. there is smoking section on this forum with a 24 hour no smoking thread if you want to post on there too, there are a few of us early on in quits just now. I'm going cold turkey with no nicotine replacement therapy so it's been quite full on but what I've found helpful so far is
1. Keep as busy as possible
2. Drink a lot of water or any soft drinks you like
3. Exercise exercise exercise, it's the main one getting me through this as really need the endorphins.
I'm feeling loads better already even this early on so go for it it's totally worth it.
Peace X
Old 01-05-2015, 05:47 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I found doing anything with your mouth (gum, sunflower seeds, etc) to be very helpful. You have an oral fixation and need to do something to replace the cigarette in your mouth.

Good luck!
Old 01-05-2015, 06:07 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

You might find some hints & tips here my friend

Nicotine/Smoking - SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information
Old 01-05-2015, 06:09 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  

I used a patch for the first month. It helped me psychologically, because I was able to tell myself "you're getting all the nicotine you crave. All that is left is the action of the cigarette, and that means nothing..."

In times of great stress, I would push on the patch, as though it were a magic button, as though I could release emergency rushes of nicotine by pressing on it hard. That was just foolish desperation, but it gave me something to do when I was feeling foolish and desperate!!

Other coping methods:
Hot baths. I love them with Epsom salts - I really believe they are therapeutic.
Massage. Because it is not just your imagination - quitting smoking makes you physically tense.
Exercise. Builds the pride, plus you actually note your increased lung capacity. Takes up time and burns through nervous energy.

I also minimized conflict in every way that I could. I didn't date or flirt with anyone, didn't contact any exes, laid low even in my friendships...lots of alone time. In the past, I would feel "upset" socially and use that as an excuse to go buy a pack of cigs.

Speaking of which, in the past I also always kept a pack of cigs in the freezer "in case of an emotional emergency" when I would try to quit. This is absolutely ridiculous. That's like saying you're quitting alcohol, but keeping a bottle next to your bed "just in case you don't make it..." I smoked my last cig and it was actually the last. Threw butts in the garbage and poured water on them (or I would have been up late at night that first night, tearing them apart and creating a new cigarette out of the crumbs...). It is a ten minute drive to town, so not having any at my house was critical.

Good luck!! This is doable!! I quit in early October, and it is a dull and far-away memory! I occasionally think about them, but haven't had a craving for a long while. I quit the patches because I forgot to put one on one day, and didn't even notice until the next day. I figured that was that (which was good, because they are expensive too).
Old 01-05-2015, 06:10 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

i found the nictotine patch very helpful and weaned off it
Old 01-05-2015, 08:54 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Thanks for the advice I'm ready to tackle this
! I'm going cold turkey, I'll keep plenty of hard candies around and excited to get back to the gym
Old 01-07-2015, 08:45 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I gotta say I'm almost two full days in and it hasn't been to hard. There has been cravings and times I really wanted one but it isn't completely miserable, hope it doesn't get any worst
Old 01-07-2015, 09:10 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I used Champix for about 10ish days, that was a bad idea, they didn't agree with me and I ended up quite wigged out....
...but I was determined, I joined a Quit smoking forum along with reading Allen Carr's book "The easyway to stop smoking".
I wanted to quit smoking so much.....I think like here the online support along with the book made the difference, that was years ago.
These days I never get any cravings at all, ever.
The trick with quitting smoking is to never light up one ever, no excuses, sound familiar.
Good luck, if I can quit smoking, anyone can.
Old 01-07-2015, 10:58 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyTime86 View Post

I remember reading an article somewhere (I think the fix) where it said that the average addict/alcoholic who smoked quit somewhere around 2-3 years into recovery.

good on you for doing it your lungs will thank you
Old 01-08-2015, 02:52 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Congrats on quitting!
Old 01-08-2015, 04:45 AM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by MyTime86 View Post
- nicotine gum/patches can help to slowly cut the nicotine levels and more importantly: break the mental habit and attachement with sigs.
(like going from heroine to methadon)

- sleep it off.
- excerise
- 'good' sugar (honey, dextrose-tablets, fruit)
- water & herbal tea
- multivitamines
- avoid large quantaties of cafaine (when you go cold turkey)
- sleep it off some more.
- repeat^^

You feel better after four weeks max.
If not, maybe consult a doctor?
Old 01-08-2015, 04:54 AM
  # 13 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

I vape now so not really in a position to tell you how to cold turkey but the strongest advice I've been given on the subject is to remember you are CHOOSING to stop. It's not being taken away from you. You aren't being deprived. You can continue and smoke yourself to death if you so choose but you are choosing not to because... better health, more money, being a good example, don't wana be stinky anymore etc... Being a rebel if I feel I can't do something, I'm sure as hell going to do it lol so reminding yourself you are free to do what you want and being smoke free is what you want - makes you feel that bit more relaxed, in control and empowered. Best of luck