Notices

Things I was Scared About/ One Year Today

Old 01-06-2015, 07:24 PM
  # 41 (permalink)  

Well done on one year! Your enthusiasm for life is fantastic.
Old 04-28-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 42 (permalink)  

Thank you for the Insiration !!
Old 04-28-2015, 05:01 PM
  # 43 (permalink)  

Congratulations on 1 year! Such a great and helpful post for those of us following behind you. Keep it up!
Old 04-28-2015, 06:08 PM
  # 44 (permalink)  

Wonderful and inspiring. Thank you for your story.
Old 04-28-2015, 06:15 PM
  # 45 (permalink)  

I admire you
Old 04-28-2015, 07:45 PM
  # 46 (permalink)  

Thank you for sharing this and taking the time! I am new in sobriety, lots of relapsing and I just want to say I have a year and beyond like you. Thanks!
Old 04-28-2015, 08:06 PM
  # 47 (permalink)  

wow

Thank you for the post!!! I can certainly relate. Can't wait till I get to one year! Congrats!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:27 PM
  # 48 (permalink)  

Congratulations!
Today was my first AA meeting and I'd be lying if some if not all the fears you had about not drinking didn't cross my mind today. What really pops out at me is the planing my next drink, how am I going to get it, how am I going to hide it, what if my husband catches me drinking again....its all become to much trouble for me to bare anymore. Thanks for the great post and again CONGRATULATIONS!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:38 PM
  # 49 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Persys View Post
I do not post frequently, but I do visit the site nearly every day. I have not had a drink in one year as of today! I was thinking back on the things that scared me when I began the process of getting sober and figured I'd write about them with my perspective being what it is. I'm a 30 year-old male who drank alcohol (12-20 drinks) daily, for 9 years. I used this site and AA as tools to improve my life. I never knew how normal it was to NOT drink alcohol every single day. I was so scared of how my life would be if I gave it up (even with all of the problems it caused me). In all honesty I used to think that if I stopped drinking I wouldn't be as good at my job. I work in sales and most of the time the pressure is really high, I used to think booze made the stress go away. I felt the same way with my wife and family- will I still be able to handle the intense pressure and responsibility of family and work life? I was scared at the thought of waking up without a hangover (not a debilitating, crushing anxiety hangover, just a "definitely know I drank last night" type of feeling). I was comfortable in my routine and I was scared to see how my routine was going to be different. This may sound nuts, but I liked the hangover feeling since it was comfortable to me. I was scared about going places with booze and people drinking, I was scared about how I was going to turn drinks down if I was offered one. As it turns out- I was offered a total of maybe 4 drinks throughout the year, all from people who were just being good hosts. I was never pressured by anyone to take a drink and saying "no thanks, I'll take a diet Coke" worked every single time. Turns out that it's my brain that makes it a big deal to say no. I wasn't sure people were going to like me if I stopped drinking. For most of my adult life I had a drink in my hand and never tried socializing sober. I wasn't sure who the "new me" was going to be or if people would still want to be around me. I was scared of being bored. I had no hobbies besides getting drunk. I was also fat. I wasn't sure if I could handle all of the thoughts and urges about drinking after stopping. At times, I felt that I was going to go crazy because I thought about alcohol so much. The bottom line is that this past year has been the best year of my life. Everything that I was scared about turned out just fine. Did I have some uncomfortable times? Of course. Did I think about alcohol a lot? Yes I did, but I didn't drink it or entertain thoughts of drinking it. My real friends still like me, my wife and I haven't had one of "those" fights all year, and my job performance is better than ever. I can say that after a year not drinking is becoming much more of a habit. I don't automatically want to stop at the store on the way home nor do I want a drink as soon as I wake up. My weekend plans do not involve me trying to figure out how to get my wife and friends to the bar so I can get loaded and I don't have to make excuses to run to the store all of the time. I can talk to my boss at 7am with confidence, I can take any morning appointment without hesitation. I am not constantly planning my next drink (I wish I could put into words how much effort that actually takes, conscious or unconscious. Not having to think about that is extremely freeing). I have not been in handcuffs all year, I have not driven drunk, I have not blacked out and said mean things, I have not embarrassed my wife in public. The list could go on. I realize I've rambled, this decision and all of the hard work has been worth it. As an alcoholic I understand that I will need to stay vigilant. I also understand that nobody can force me to take a drink and bottles don't fly off of the shelf and pour into my mouth. I control my body and what I drink. I have been taking this one day at a time and staying away from the first drink. It really is that simple if you break it down and want to get better. Thank you all for your support and posts!
I really love this post! Congrats on 1 year!!!
Old 04-28-2015, 09:46 PM
  # 50 (permalink)  
Life Health Prosperity

Persys, 1 year sober is just FANTASTIC, congratulations, rootin for ya.
Old 04-29-2015, 01:31 AM
  # 51 (permalink)  

Congratulations on one year and thank you so much for sharing. I'm newly sober and found your words very inspiring :-)
Old 04-29-2015, 05:02 AM
  # 52 (permalink)  

Judging by the date of the original post , it would be 1 year and 3 months now...

Either way , congrats!
Old 04-29-2015, 05:08 AM
  # 53 (permalink)  
Gl@ss Artist & Cat Lady

Your post is very inspiring and I thank you so much for sharing that with us. Congratulations on your one year of sobriety! Well done!!!

Old 04-29-2015, 07:41 AM
  # 54 (permalink)  

What a fantastic, honest post and so inspiring! Congratulations!
Old 04-29-2015, 07:48 AM
  # 55 (permalink)  

Congratulations on your tremendous accomplishment.
Old 04-29-2015, 08:18 AM
  # 56 (permalink)  

Wonderful post! Thanks for sharing these awesome feelings/thoughts, as well as your very positive experience in sobriety. It's such a relief to be free, ain't it? Well done and congrats!