Notices

16 days sober, still tired--normal?

Old 01-05-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

16 days sober, still tired--normal?

I am sober.

I have no energy.

I am still smoking.

Do you think the cigs are zapping my energy or is this normal for 2-3 weeks into sobriety?
Old 01-05-2015, 11:44 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Have you talked with your dr since stopping drinking? If not, it might be a good idea to think about it if the fatigue is bothersome.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:48 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

I had fatigue on and off for almost the first year. I took B12 which seemed to help.

At one point I felt it was depression as well.

I am feeling better now. I have found that if I get a routine and stick to it then I am okay. If to many things get out of whack like the holidays or extra work or meetings then I start to feel tired again and it takes some time to get back to normal.

At 16 days I would think your mind and body does not know what normal is right now. Try to get as much rest as possible and as Anne said, maybe it is time to see a doctor about it.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:06 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

I felt very similar for the first while, energetic in the mornings but felt tired by early afternoon, so I tried to have as many down times as possible and a good vit B12 is a good shout.
Old 01-05-2015, 12:53 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Do your best

Yes this is normal in early recovery Suzieq the body is going through changes and and it takes time for body to recover

I would book a doc apt to have a check up and speak about it

well done on 16 days
Old 01-05-2015, 03:31 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Are you taking supplements? I was so tired all of the time and finally had vitamin D test and my levels were extremely low. I read that nearly 75% of the US population is deficient in Vitamin D. Also, a good B complex.
Old 01-05-2015, 03:42 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Lethargy and foggy-brain plagued me for about six months, at which time both began to gradually clear and improve.

Always good to check with your doctor especially if the fatigue's interfering with your routine.

Congratulations on 16 days, Suzieq.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:18 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

It was normal for me.

Probably the result of years of poor quality drunken sleep rather than sleeping naturally.

I think the extra calories from booze kept me awake longer too.

My way of dealing with it was to have a sugary drink in the morning and the afternoon - fresh orange or hot chocolate for example. That perked me up no end.

I wish you the best xx
Old 01-05-2015, 04:20 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Got some vitamins. I will start taking them and see if my energy improves.

I am at home all day chasing a 9 month old, so I do have some energy. I just don't feel motivated to get out of the house. It's very cold outside here, money is tight and there is only so much you can do with a little one.

Being sober, and staying home all day with my little guy is new to me. I quit while my daughter was on her break from school, so the two of them kept me quite busy. Now it's back to one, should be easier, but I am finding it harder....
Old 01-05-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Don't beat yourself up, give yourself some time, I didn't get the spring back in my step for a few months, I did what I needed to do to remain Sober and slowly my motivation and energy levels improved!!

Hang in there!!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:46 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
~sb

16 days compared to how many days of drinking?

2 and a half weeks is nothing....give your body time to heal. I was quite tired off and on my entire first year, then things started to even out.

It all gets better, different, and much better!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:52 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

Cigs still zap my energy, honestly I'm feeling so many diminishing returns on the whole smoking thing but just can't seem to kick it!

Give yourself some time and be kind to yourself. Energy will return gradually over time, or one day you might just wake up like the energizer bunny.
Old 01-05-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Great job Suzie! Just running after kids all day is exhausting enough! This weekend....i was sober but seemed extra run down. The weather was crappy...nothing to do with kids so they were bored. I think I never noticed how tired I was because I was half in the bag most of the time. Tea and my fake cigarette help me in the afternoons. You're doing great!!
Old 01-05-2015, 04:59 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Great job Suzie! Just running after kids all day is exhausting enough! This weekend....i was sober but seemed extra run down. The weather was crappy...nothing to do with kids so they were bored. I think I never noticed how tired I was because I was half in the bag most of the time. Tea and my fake cigarette help me in the afternoons. You're doing great!!
Old 01-06-2015, 03:21 AM
  # 15 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Quitting+baby = tiredness !

You're doing great, be kind to yourself.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:36 AM
  # 16 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Good going on the 16 days Glad you got yourself some vits, they def make a difference (although, they take a wee while to get in your system) I take ginseng as well. Also, sounds obvious but are you drinking copious amounts of water? I find when I'm really sluggish - a cold pint of water perks me up and it's easier to carry on with whatever task is in hand.
Old 01-06-2015, 03:53 AM
  # 17 (permalink)  
for myself

Its completely normal, but you will feel better and once you do the few weeks of tiredness will feel like nothing more than a distant memory. You can do it. Nice job for that many days sober!
Old 01-08-2015, 09:37 AM
  # 18 (permalink)  

I have been sober since 11/13 , I still get home from work , walk down the hall and fall asleep on the bed for 3 hours...I heard some folks deal with this for 6 months or longer...Just stick with it, which I plan to do as well..They say it gets better...
Old 01-09-2015, 01:17 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Hi everyone! I've been sober for a month and I'm going through the same thing, although I think it's getting better. Initially, I was so exhausted by mid-day I swore someone slipped a tranquilizer in my water!
Old 01-09-2015, 01:25 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Lakeofglitter , your not kidding..I actually asked my wife if she was sneaking NyQuil into my food...Her response "Are you kidding , I would've started doing that years ago if it were that easy"...She was kidding of course...But the first few weeks are flat out exhausting...