Notices

Emotional hangovers.... Slipping?

Old 01-07-2015, 12:24 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Mrrryah1, it sounds like you wanted to drink, made up an excuse (it being that number of days sober) and afterwards went into denial of the fact that you simply wanted to drink by saying that you don't know what caused it. You do know what caused it. You just have to be honest with yourself. You wanted to drink and rationalized it so you could do it.

Stop it.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:35 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Yeah I wanted to drink in that moment. I gave ZERO thought to the consequences, lost days, nothing at all. All I imagined was the feeling of escape and bliss and I probably would have killed for it in that moment.

I'm not blaming anyone else. I'm doing something wrong for me to get to the place where I feel like picking up a drink is a good idea. I just genuinely don't know what it is yet.

Maybe I just haven't hit "bottom" yet. What a terrifying thought.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:44 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  
Do your best

Someone once said that to me 'You havnt hit bottom yet' i hated hearing that as life was already very bad i was like how far can i fall

it got to the point i nearly died Mrrryah and i still carried on

One day i woke up

i said enough is enough and i clawed myself out of the pit of my despair

you can do this too

hugs
Old 01-07-2015, 12:47 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

have you considered a long term rehab? sorry if you mentioned this before and I have forgotten.
Old 01-07-2015, 12:54 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Sober Alcoholic

Clue: You got it backwards there..... "I feel like picking up a drink is a good idea."

Feel = emotion Idea = thought. Which one first? Change the thought and the feeling changes with it.
Old 01-07-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AnvilheadII View Post
bottom line, you GAVE yourself permission to drink. you looked for "reasons" - found them and USED them. and that's a choice you continue to make every 30 days or so. that has become your new pattern of USING.

and as doggonecarl said, if you don't do something different, then you can just circle the week of Feb 8th right now.

i know that sounds harsh and mean. but what you continue to do to yourself is the true villian. recovery isn't just about NOT using, or trying not to use. it's about no longer giving ourselves permission to cop out and play victim - but to grow up, face the music, learn new tools to deal with our feelings, and live life on life's terms. each and every stinking day. if you don't know how to do that, ask other recovering addicts, go to meetings and be in the atmosphere of those who are doing what you can't do on your own. get busy, get to work. no more excuses.
Wow, thank you. I'm sitting here thinking how nice some wine by the fire would be tonight, then I smacked myself and logged in to SR and started reading, exactly what I needed. No mor excuses, face the music...this is forever, embrace it.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:55 AM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Turtle82 View Post
Clue: You got it backwards there..... "I feel like picking up a drink is a good idea."

Feel = emotion Idea = thought. Which one first? Change the thought and the feeling changes with it.
Actually, you got it backwards also. Change the feeling and the thought changes with it. Emotions/feelings are the fuel that power thoughts.
Old 01-08-2015, 01:57 AM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Mrrryah1 View Post
Yeah I wanted to drink in that moment. I gave ZERO thought to the consequences, lost days, nothing at all. All I imagined was the feeling of escape and bliss and I probably would have killed for it in that moment.

I'm not blaming anyone else. I'm doing something wrong for me to get to the place where I feel like picking up a drink is a good idea. I just genuinely don't know what it is yet.

Maybe I just haven't hit "bottom" yet. What a terrifying thought.
Forget about hitting "bottom", it's not necessary. And if you start thinking that you need that, you're giving yourself a new excuse to drink.

You think that there is more to your situation, but there really isn't I think. You want to drink and rationalize it so you can do it. That's it. You have to face that and accept that you have to work to get through that. You're taking the easy route by relapsing. That way you can avoid the effort.

Make the effort, get the result.