Notices

Before there was AA, there was Tolstoy...

Old 01-05-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
I believe feeling the need to numb our self consciousness is another great indicator of being out of alignment.
I believe that "restoring the alignment", or creating it for the first time, is one of the greatest challenges in recovery. Also part of the reason why it takes so long. Alcoholism disrupts our alignment with our values and as it progresses, it takes us further and further from it until we don't even remember anymore...
So finding this again is definitely not a simple exercise.
Old 01-05-2015, 07:51 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  

Wow, good stuff. I certainly "stupified" myself in order to take actions that I was ashamed or afraid to take while sober. Drinking was a free pass - a permission slip - to take a break from the problems in my head and act out. In the end, I was cheating myself out of a higher plane of existence. Love the article, thanks for the tips on the Sunday links as well guys!
Old 01-05-2015, 08:46 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by haennie View Post
I believe that "restoring the alignment", or creating it for the first time, is one of the greatest challenges in recovery. Also part of the reason why it takes so long. Alcoholism disrupts our alignment with our values and as it progresses, it takes us further and further from it until we don't even remember anymore...
So finding this again is definitely not a simple exercise.
or in my case.... stunted the very growth and awareness of my values for decades until I was ready to pay attention and begin to learn to develop them.

Old 01-05-2015, 08:57 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  

It's hard work guys. When i was drinking every day I only had one problem, which was to get the alcohol. Now I have a bunch of them! As somebody said to me on a train before 'the easiest way is often the wrong way'... Tolstoy is talking about God here, isn't it?
Old 01-05-2015, 09:04 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Trudgin

Interesting article, FO - thanks for the post.

Off topic, sort of......
Every time I hear Tolstoy's name I think of this

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qqS1Ty79mOE
Old 01-05-2015, 06:30 PM
  # 26 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by FreeOwl View Post
It doesn't necessarily mean we drank to numb ourselves from being 'bad'. Just out of alignment. I believe feeling the need to numb our self consciousness is another great indicator of being out of alignment.
Good point FreeOwl. I'm definitely out of alignment. Drinking just masked the problem, and kept me from doing the hard work of mentally getting into alignment. That's what i'm working on now.

“Everyone thinks of changing the world, but no one thinks of changing himself.” -Tolstoy
Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Stratman1 View Post
It's hard work guys. When i was drinking every day I only had one problem, which was to get the alcohol. Now I have a bunch of them!
I noticed that too. That's another reason the first days and years of sobriety are so challenging, because we ignored so many things in our obsession to drink. Ugh, anyone who gets sober is a true hero in my book, it's extremely difficult and challenging. And it's a major accomplishment.
Old 01-05-2015, 10:09 PM
  # 28 (permalink)  

Terrific offering, SO - thanks so much. I often forget about that site, and think it's one of the very best currently around.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:52 PM
  # 29 (permalink)  

A great read, thanks!
Old 01-06-2015, 07:03 AM
  # 30 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by AcceptingChange View Post
I noticed that too. That's another reason the first days and years of sobriety are so challenging, because we ignored so many things in our obsession to drink. Ugh, anyone who gets sober is a true hero in my book, it's extremely difficult and challenging. And it's a major accomplishment.
Thanks AcceptingChange. I really needed to hear something positive today, however small. I am freaking out to the max.

Some good articles on that site