Notices

Eating solid food is helping with cravings...

Old 01-04-2015, 12:16 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Eating solid food is helping with cravings...

I read on an earlier thread that someone likes to eat in response to cravings. I tried this trick following a pretty big craving and, halfway through my meatball sandwich, I realized that I hadn't eaten all morning. I feel a lot better now.

I think drinking (mostly beer) had trained my system to use alcohol as a main nutrient. I used to practically survive off of beer and one small meal daily.

So, if you're having trouble with cravings, it may just be your tummy telling you to put some nutrients in it.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:54 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  
Administrator

Balance is important in recovery and that includes eating well. Good for you for getting through the craving.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:57 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  

New hobby - roller derby
Old 01-04-2015, 02:05 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  
Do your best

Hi Waveridermike

ive heard of ppl eating ice cream through a craving i know i did in the first few months (ben & jerrys)

Like Anna said tho balance is important but i had to gain weight in early sobriety as i was underweight

good work on getting through the craving
Old 01-05-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Thanks for your replies!

I agree wholeheartedly with the idea of maintaining balance. I've never been much of an eater, even before I started drinking. For me, balance is going to involve eating more often than I have throughout most of my life. My goal is to eat at least two full meals a day.
Old 01-05-2015, 09:35 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Do your best

Thats good waveridermike
Old 01-05-2015, 09:39 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Hi Mike. Your absolutely right man, you need to eat right or your just going to feel like crap. I can identify with what your saying as I was 8 stone something when I landed in rehab, completely living on drink and drugs with the odd tea or coffee to keep me going and maybe a meal at night. I'm my normal weight now, about 13 stone.

Some people say sugar is great when coming off alcohol as it replaces lost blood sugars, though I'm not sure if thats mainly for a hangover or withdrawals. Definitely as much as you can eat, and as varied and good quality stuff if possible, is not going to harm at this point. All the best
Old 01-05-2015, 09:42 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Paying attention to food and eating helped me out early on. I found it sometimes difficult to know when I was hungry, thirsty, angry, lonely, tired... senses were a bit confused and I was a bit out of touch with them.

Great job, this is a good trick to ward off the cravings
Old 01-05-2015, 10:01 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

My personal experience...

I used to drink in the evening on an empty stomach. I find now that having an early dinner and staying well-hydrated prevents any cravings in the evening. If I get to 7 pm on an empty stomach, my brain seems to think it's time to drink and my mind starts to wander to alcohol. But go ahead and eat something and that urge completely disappears.

At the beginning, I thought it might be unhealthy to eat in place of drinking. But then I began to appreciate how many empty calories I was consuming with alcohol. By cutting out the liquor, I was able to eat more and actually lose weight.
Old 01-05-2015, 11:25 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  
*Ex Missus

Yes! Nutrition is really important and you've just reminded me that there are several vitamins which heavy drinkers are deficient in that I took in the first weeks on my last sober stints. I must dig them out again. Something like vit c, vit b, ugh my memory... there were about 5 which really helped boost your immune system, stabilize sugar levels and in turn ease cravings and improve your mood a wee bit. It's worth a google if you're interested. I'm going to hunt them out again.

*Obviously eating really well also helps but we are so deficient that we really need mega doses. That's where the extra supplements can come in.