Notices

It's time to stop kidding myself

Old 01-04-2015, 09:25 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

It's time to stop kidding myself

Hi everyone,

I've decided that enough is enough so hopefully you guys will be seeing me here fairly regularly. I have an odd relationship with alcohol, I am always the drunkest at social events, I often do silly things and am blacking out weekly. My most recent (and hopefully last) binge was New Years eve, a two day bender leaving me in bed until today. Within the last year a binge is usually followed by numerous sleepless nights characterised by extreme sweating and disturbing dreams (bed sheets changed twice last night). I find it bizarre that I ended up in this state again despite being hospitalised the weekend before Christmas after a blow out on drugs and booze took a nasty turn.

I am currently back at University working towards a career in health care (I won't go into specifics) and have been successful so far in life. I am, however, very aware that if I continue in my current behaviour I risk throwing everything away. I am taking incredible risks with both my health and future, and for what? Madness, absolute madness.

Anyway, that's me. Looking forward to getting to know some of you.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:40 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum!

I am glad you have been successful so far in life, but you are going down a path that is not conducive to being successful. Now that most of us were successful before the true downfall it is usually just a matter of time instead of "if".

I would have thought the hospital stay would have been a wake up call, and I hope that it was. Our bodies are not meant to take the pounding of drugs and alcohol and it could likely get even worse next time around.

You are going through withdrawals (sweaty bed sheets etc) and it is usually best to talk to your DR as you are going through this as they will know warning signs and how to potentially ease your suffering.

Welcome to the family.
Old 01-04-2015, 09:45 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  

From the sounds of it, you may not have another withdrawal in you.

This could be life and death at this point in your drinking career. Definitely see a doctor.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:00 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Well Im glad you have been successful life wise so far. That can disappear really fast though. Take it from me...blink of an eye.

You are having significant symptoms. We cant diagnose but..friend to friend..see a doctor.

My last binge/relapse my doctor told me point blank..."I dont think your body can handle another relapse..you are on the verge of life threatening, permanent damage"

By the grace of God, I had my listening ears on that day and havent touched a drop since.

Take this very very seriously.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Welcome, shone101. You have made a great decision in stopping drinking before things get worse. You'll find tons of support, advice and encouragement here. Glad you've joined us.
Old 01-04-2015, 10:15 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  
Hillbilly Girl

Glad you are here with us Shone, no doubt the best decision of your life!
Old 01-04-2015, 11:40 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Shone,You sound smart & like you know yourself well.Your comments about your future sound right on,you shouldn't be afraid to try another doctor.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:46 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome youl find tons of support here

Nice to meet you
Old 01-04-2015, 12:05 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Welcome to the Forum!!
Old 01-04-2015, 01:11 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome to SR, shone.

I am glad that you are addressing your drinking. Remember, SR is here for you 24/7/365.

Glad you found us.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:29 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Welcome shone. You are making a good choice and a step in the right direction. You will find a lot of support here.