Notices

Day 5

Old 01-04-2015, 07:18 AM
  # 1 (permalink)  

Day 5

Hey all,

I'm a newbie here and a newbie in recovery. Today marks day FIVE for me. I never thought I'd make it this far and I couldn't be happier about it.

I finally hit my rock bottom last week and I hope to never return. For the past two years I have binge drank every single night to the point of blacking out...every single night. I just can't keep doing this to myself and my two young children don't deserve a drunk for a mother. I can say I've seen an increase in my energy and I LOVE being able to get out of bed in the morning. For 2 full years I woke up every morning with a hangover...and now I just keep asking myself, why in the hell would I do that to myself?!?

I'm so afraid of failure and don't have a huge support group. Luckily my SO is 100% on board with me but I don't have many other people to talk to. I'm so thankful I found this site because I've felt for the longest that no one understood what I was going through.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello since I've been lurking around for a few weeks
Old 01-04-2015, 07:22 AM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Hi jmk and welcome :-)

Im a newbie too, im on day 4

We can do this, we all have each other for support

Best of luck and congratulations on making it this far :-)
Old 01-04-2015, 07:24 AM
  # 3 (permalink)  
☀️⛳️

Well done on your decision and you are doing very well,

It does keep getting better,
Well done again.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:28 AM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Jkm1987 View Post
Hey all,

I'm a newbie here and a newbie in recovery. Today marks day FIVE for me. I never thought I'd make it this far and I couldn't be happier about it.

I finally hit my rock bottom last week and I hope to never return. For the past two years I have binge drank every single night to the point of blacking out...every single night. I just can't keep doing this to myself and my two young children don't deserve a drunk for a mother. I can say I've seen an increase in my energy and I LOVE being able to get out of bed in the morning. For 2 full years I woke up every morning with a hangover...and now I just keep asking myself, why in the hell would I do that to myself?!?

I'm so afraid of failure and don't have a huge support group. Luckily my SO is 100% on board with me but I don't have many other people to talk to. I'm so thankful I found this site because I've felt for the longest that no one understood what I was going through.

I just wanted to introduce myself and say hello since I've been lurking around for a few weeks
Congrat Jkm! So happy for you!
I am a day behind you myself. Your words resonate with me because I wish I had woken up when my kids were younger(they are teenagers now) and I knew I needed to wake up to set a better example for them. How pathetic telling your teenagers not to drink but drinking wine every night? How I wish I could go back in time to where you are!
You now can be sober and raise your kids in a sober/healthy environment.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:30 AM
  # 5 (permalink)  

Congrats on 5!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:37 AM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Welcome, you have made a great decision! Congratulations on day five! You'll find lots of support, advice and encouragement here, we all understand. Glad you've joined us.
Old 01-04-2015, 07:47 AM
  # 7 (permalink)  

Congrats on day 5!!!

I'm a newbie here too. Day for 4 me. We can do this!!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:53 AM
  # 8 (permalink)  

Day 4 here as well, lets do this together!
Old 01-04-2015, 07:54 AM
  # 9 (permalink)  

Thank you all for the positive and kind words im feeling really good about this!!
Old 01-04-2015, 08:05 AM
  # 10 (permalink)  

Welcome and congrats to all the new folks on this post. By now you have been reading posts and threads and have come to realize that most people in SR have seen your movie. What you are going through now and how you got here has been experienced by all of us. Maybe a different path, but the same destination. The key to success is admitting you have a problem with liquor. It is keeping you from having the life you want and deserve.
Some of you are < a week sober this time. As only us problem drinkers understand, that is a huge accomplishment. Very proud of you.
I have just under 14 months sober after 45 years of binge drinking. The sober times became shorter and shorter between binges over the years. I realized at 59 that I had to make a change. Total abstinence was the only solution for me. Made my decision back in Nov 2013 and developed a plan. A plan to handle the triggers that I knew would be coming. Social events, good days at work, bad days at work, vacations, hot days, cold days, rainy days.
All the things that I used as an excuse for over drinking. I ditched my drinking buddies, embraced my real friends, leaned on my wife and kids and grandsons. Picked up my fishing rod again, golfed more, walked more, ate better, slept more, focused on work.
Eliminating the negatives in my life made so much more room for the positives. So far its working. I encourage you all to get a plan and work that plan every single day.
If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there.
I don't spend as much time on SR as I did in the early months, but I still visit a couple times a week. The stalwarts on this site are fantastic people, ask questions, cry on their shoulders, share your milestones. Now you are counting hours and days. Down the road it will be weeks and months and eventually years.
I wish you all the best in your journey. We are all on this train together and together we will succeed.
Old 01-04-2015, 11:51 AM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Welcome to the forum Jkm!!
Old 01-04-2015, 12:18 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  

I'm on day 4 too, with a goal of 30 days with no alcohol. Not sure yet what I will do on day 31.
Good luck to everyone. Let's get through another day!! Tomorrow is my first day back to work after the holidays, so stress will be a big factor this week.
Old 01-04-2015, 01:02 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Welcome jkm!!! My story is similar to yours and making a change to be better for my children!! Keep checking in and reach out to others! The first 30 days was a roller coaster of emotions, tiredness and doubt, and with support you get get through a day at a time. It will be 50 days tomorrow and I love waking up feeling good and being present for those I love and care about.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:20 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  
Do your best

Welcome to the forum jkm well done on 5 days sober that is fantastic

youl find tons of support here my friend
Old 01-04-2015, 02:23 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Day two here. We can do this!
Old 01-04-2015, 02:31 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  

Glad to see you post, Jkm. I'm on day 5 as well. There are a lot of us in the first days/weeks here.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:51 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  
Community Greeter

You found a great place Jkm. There's always someone around to understand and care.

5 days is wonderful - be proud.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:54 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  

Welcome, jkm, to SR. Congrats on 5 sober days and your decision to stop drinking.
Old 01-04-2015, 02:57 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Good job on day 5!
Old 01-04-2015, 03:14 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Welcome Jkm.
SR is a fantastic place to be, with fantastic people.
You've come to the right place for support.
Your story is very similar to mine. I also have 2 kids & they've often had Jaffa cakes for breakfast, cause I couldn't haul myself outa bed in the morning. I feel like I've been a rubbish mum in the past....
It's changed now though - it's great getting out of bed in the morning with a clear head and being there for them.
Hang in there, you can do this.
Xxx