SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information

SoberRecovery : Alcoholism Drug Addiction Help and Information (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/)
-   Newcomers to Recovery (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/)
-   -   Third time lucky? (https://www.soberrecovery.com/forums/newcomers-recovery/355501-third-time-lucky.html)

Nic233 01-04-2015 06:51 AM

Third time lucky?

Well I've committed to getting sober again tomorrow... This is my 3rd attempt, and I only ever seem to get to my 5th day..( when the weekend arrives!!)I'm going to make plans so I don't fall off the wagon again and will keep myself as busy as possible.. It's terrifying as I struggled so much in the past when it stopped drinking.. Couldn't sleep, had huge anxiety etc.. Hopefully I stick it out long enough for these symptoms to pass this time round ...I'm giving up a 1-2 bottle of wine a night habit so fingers crossed once again x

Anna 01-04-2015 07:03 AM

Why not start today? This is a good day to be sober. :)

Soberwolf 01-04-2015 07:03 AM

Hello Nic welcome bk
Its really worth sticking out i was once like you i couldnt get past day 5 then got to 18 days it took 3 months to finally get sober

this is my first time sober over a month and im very close to 18 months sober

you can do this but its gonna take more than willpower my friend

Nic233 01-04-2015 07:05 AM

Originally Posted by Anna (Post 5116106)
Why not start today? This is a good day to be sober. :)

It's 11pm here so I will sleep and start in the morning :-)

Fly N Buy 01-04-2015 07:06 AM

Glad you're here and posting!

To Finally achieve some measure of sobriety - 210 days today - I had to accept that I simply could no longer drink. It was a huge relief that came along with willingness!

Very little luck involved in the process ;)

Keep coming back!

Nic233 01-04-2015 07:09 AM

Yes this is what I need to realise-that I just can't drink again. Right now that thought seems overwhelming but that's my AV right?

ccam1973 01-04-2015 08:29 AM

Nic, just concentrate on one day at a time... one hour at a time. Have a plan for when the craivings kick in. I came here to sr as much as I could in the early days. Post often and read as many threads as you can. Divert your attention to something other than drinking and the cravings will pass. Its tough as hell, but achievable and so worth the effort.

you can do this.

Fly N Buy 01-04-2015 09:11 AM

Originally Posted by Nic233 (Post 5116125)
Yes this is what I need to realise-that I just can't drink again. Right now that thought seems overwhelming but that's my AV right?

Many use the term AV and I understand what they are saying.
For me I don't buy into an addicted voice in my head. There is only one - It's my conscience. Sometimes however, it does go on vacation in regards to do things I should not :)

I view it as more of an out to lunch sign.......cat's away, mice will play issue I suppose. It is conscience choices we make daily in all aspects of our lives and for me not dictated by an AV.

Now as for God acting on us through the Holy Spirit, that is another thread.....

Keep coming back
VERY glad you're here!!!!

Stay sober :) Make the Choice, today ...

headcase1 01-04-2015 11:24 AM

Don't be afraid to ask for help if you need it.Nobody ever said this is easy,thats also why we are all on here.

Nic233 01-05-2015 02:03 AM

Im staying very close to SR right now and reading all the inspirational
Stories.. This is tough

Gilmer 01-05-2015 02:12 AM

Hang in there, Nic! SR can be a lifesaver! It was for me. I used to be where you are.

Nic233 01-05-2015 02:16 AM

Thanks! It's good to hear from others who have been down this same road

Fam0verFever 01-05-2015 02:37 AM

it's a full moon tonight. My twin brother somehow drowned in a river while fishing on the full moon. It's tuff alright, day 4 starts tomorrow. I'm sober, in bed and the car was cleaned this evening not a full bottle of vodka. day by hour by minute. this site helps me get my mind off it

Nic233 01-05-2015 02:41 AM

Originally Posted by Fam0verFever (Post 5117974)
it's a full moon tonight. My twin brother somehow drowned in a river while fishing on the full moon. It's tuff alright, day 4 starts tomorrow. I'm sober, in bed and the car was cleaned this evening not a full bottle of vodka. day by hour by minute. this site helps me get my mind off it

Oh that's awful.. Im so sorry to hear that.. Well
Done on being sober... I'm almost done with day one again.. Will be heading to bed early I think

SoberLeigh 01-05-2015 02:50 AM

You can do this, Nic. Hang tough; stay close to SR - there is always someone here who cares and truly wants to see you succeed.