Notices

What ACTION dod you take today?

Old 01-05-2015, 06:28 PM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Terrific post, freeowl. Actions are a key part of my "fake it until I make it" plan.

Serendipitously, I heard on NPR this morning on my way into work, an interesting story about addiction. Apparently a percentage (I think 10%) of active duty soldiers in Vietnam were addicted to heroin. Nixon instituted a special program to help them (that was a surprise), and very few ended up using heroin when they returned to the states. The psychologist in charge of the program speculated that the high success rate was due in part to the fact that they received treatment in Vietnam. Apparently a lot of our habits and addictions are due to various bodily triggers: driving by certain places, meeting up with certain people at certain haunts. Many of these we're completely unaware of, which is probably why we sometimes feel like we're having an outer body experience when we catch ourselves in a liquor store parking lot and why it feels so weird, so "unnatural," when we stop drinking--we become aware for the first time of those triggers.

I found it very interesting. I'm a little over 3 months into my sobriety, and I do believe that what has helped the most this time is that I have changed the patterns and my actions. The not drinking was step one.
Old 01-05-2015, 06:34 PM
  # 22 (permalink)  

We'll...today, I put the plug in the jug.

Does that count? :-)

DD

Came to my sober sense's: 1/5/15

Old 01-05-2015, 06:35 PM
  # 23 (permalink)  

We'll...today, I put the plug in the jug.

Does that count? :-)

DD

Came to my sober sense's: 1/5/15

Old 01-05-2015, 06:36 PM
  # 24 (permalink)  

Oooops...

...sorry for the double.

DD
Old 01-05-2015, 09:53 PM
  # 25 (permalink)  

It's ok duh Dave! Plug in the jug is the first big step! Now just keep it plugged one day at a time. Rest up while you detox and heal. Eat, drink lots of water. Even slip a soda in here or there if that helps. You will probably crave sugar. Don't worry...it's not forever. And post here at least a few times a day

Jennifer