Notices

Day 3 - Flashback

Old 01-03-2015, 04:11 PM
  # 1 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Day 3 - Flashback

A very big thank you to everyone that welcomed me here. I feel I have made a massive decision in living a sober life.

I haven't touched a drop of alcohol since 2014, thats kind of a big deal for me. I am now officially the longest dry period since I was 18 years old and that was 22 years ago nearly.

I went shopping today with my other half and we were taking advantage of the sales and I found myself in glass and glassware section of the shop, looking at glasses.

As I stared at a Decanter and Whiskey Set I thought that looks nice and then I was reminded what had happened to my last set.

Well in 2012, we went to the very same shop and bought a Lead Crystal Whiskey Decanter and 4 lead crystal glasses. I bought them and stopped by Sainsbury's to get the best bottle of Whiskey I could afford.

So I am in the shop and I decided to get a £165 bottle of Johnny Walker Blue Label. I paid for it and drove home. My Wife was going to a friends house that night and wouldn't be back home until later.

I poured the bottle into the decanter right up to the very top and poured a large glass out for myself.

I went into the kitchen a got some ice cubes and sliced a lemon and even took the trouble to put in a glazed cherry.

I sat there in my magnificence and raised a toast to myself and took a drink. Now not being much of a Whiskey Drinker it was a little to strong for me and I shuddered and got goose bumps on my back and on my arms. I finished my drink and poured another, the second drink was much better.

I switched on the TV and started watching the News and after an hour or so, I had drank 6 glasses and stood up to go to the bathroom for a wee.
I lost my balance and ended up knocking over the Decanter and breaking to other the glasses. There was Whiskey all over the carpet (Cream covered).

I had to get it clean or I was dead.

So I decided to spray it with vanish and warm soapy water, the carpets were sodden. I decided I would sort it out in the morning.

Except I didnt wake up in the morning, I woke up at around 4pm to my Wife, screaming "What f--k is going on ?". I came downstairs and played innocent, but it was very clear what had happened. I was met with a devastating scene.

1. Empty Bottle of £165 Whiskey.
2. Broken £144 (Discounted) Decanter and 2 smashed glasses
3. A bucket of water, which I must of kicked over without realising.
4. A stain on the carpet, which would need professionally cleaning.
5. TV left on
6. Tap was still running so no hot water.
7. The smell of whiskey (very strong).
8. A fuming angry Wife
9. Me looking all innocent, like what and how has all this happened.

10. The spare bedroom for 2 days.

Needless to say, I passed the opportunity to return to drinking down and I am still and very gratefully sober.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:19 PM
  # 2 (permalink)  

Sorry man, but I had to laugh at that story

It sounds like something that would happen to me, except replace said bottle of whiskey with say, the 13 quid one I bought there recently. Similar results though! And my final bill will be just as expensive if not more than yours, and still I am grateful as things could have been worse…

Cannot stop laughing still! Heres to sobriety, congrats
Old 01-03-2015, 04:21 PM
  # 3 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Heres to us Stevey. Thanks
Old 01-03-2015, 04:24 PM
  # 4 (permalink)  

Great story, lancashire!
Old 01-03-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 5 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Heres to us Stevey. Thanks
A bright future of sobriety.

If sobriety had a price tag, none of us would be able to afford it. It has to been earned because the rewards and benefits are so fulfilling.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:28 PM
  # 6 (permalink)  

Oh me !!! I feel your pain .... I've wrecked 2 laptops due to spilling red wine into them. Cause when I was having my bottles of red, I liked nothing more than to sit on Facebook while drinking wine & spout the biggest load of sh**e to my Facebook friends.
I've also wrecked many other things.....but 2 laptops have been my costliest.
Not good.
Xxxx
Old 01-03-2015, 04:35 PM
  # 7 (permalink)  
Sober Member

I too have done the Facebook rant. I have left now, but I remember around 3 months ago, having a right old rant about Scottish Independence and how if they do not like being part of the UK they should leave.

My so called Facebook friends were making comments like "whats this guy taken" and "stfu".

Seems like a good idea at the time, not now thought, seems pretty sad.
Old 01-03-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 8 (permalink)  

I spilled a pint of a very dark stout on my wife's white carpet. Oh the guilt and shame!
Old 01-03-2015, 04:39 PM
  # 9 (permalink)  

I was so ashamed a few months ago, I landed myself in so much trouble with a drunken rant on facebook. It still gets spoken about now by the locals here....
X
Old 01-03-2015, 04:43 PM
  # 10 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by ShenzyT View Post
I was so ashamed a few months ago, I landed myself in so much trouble with a drunken rant on facebook. It still gets spoken about now by the locals here....
X
This was the reason I left facebook. I had the habit of drinking too much, going on there, talking cr-p and then reading what I wrote the next day and saying "Did I really write that'". That not what I really think.

The problem was is you cant take it back. You have opened yourself up and exposed yourself, that what people see.

They should have a drunk button, right next to "like".
Old 01-03-2015, 04:58 PM
  # 11 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by Lancashire View Post
the next day and saying "Did I really write that'". That not what I really think. The problem was is you cant take it back. You have opened yourself up and exposed yourself, that what people see. They should have a drunk button, right next to "like".
Luckily i haven't had a rant on facebook, but i have to my friends about other friends, being horrible about them, but i love my friends and this is also not what i really think, then i feel horrible for days and hope they dont find out what i was saying.

Sober i am the one people tell their problems to, am understanding and will help anyone

Drunk, im selfish and nasty
Old 01-03-2015, 05:04 PM
  # 12 (permalink)  
Do your best

Well done on day 3 Lancashire keep up the good work
Old 01-03-2015, 05:12 PM
  # 13 (permalink)  

Gawd, that was so funny, but also kind of sad... I was so pissed on NYE I went out for a fag (don't smoke except when highly pissed), got a head spin, stepped on a china cup that my daughter had been playing with, fell onto the drive ... managed to get all the bits into the bin without injury and thought it was hilarious... thank god I don't have cctv... never again my friends....

Its nice to see some UK folk on here, not that the others are not great too, but PUBS are such a massive part of life in the UK, I feel like I have lost something.. in reality who knows, but in a romantic, past funtimes, smokey film kind of way... but I will not feel bereaved, I will feel lucky this time!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:15 PM
  # 14 (permalink)  

Uh-oh, I hear this, that Facebook. I like your idea, where users can vote if you are drunk or not. In my case, you can be sure that I was. I had a similar idea, there should be a breathalyzer on your computer, if you don't pass that then you are not allowed on the internet at all...

But yes. I have done the dog on that, like big time. I got into a load of arguments, went on loads of rants. Politics, Religion, controversial stuff you name it, half the stuff I didn't understand even. Not a good look.

I'm pretty sure that people noticed too. Most of my friends will barely talk to me now, they think I'm mad. I thought I was for a while, now I'm beginning to see the correlation with alcohol & that behavior. I definitely don't recommend it. Managed to **** a load of people off. It's consoling to see that I was not the only one doing that, I don't go on their often now.

I was on it the night I drank!!! I don't know what I did, but I know that I changed my profile picture a couple of times. Been meaning to change it back, but I don't even wanna draw any more attention to myself. Yikes...

Its giving me the heebie jeebies even thinking about it, I think its time to look at the serenity prayer here.

Peace
Old 01-03-2015, 05:18 PM
  # 15 (permalink)  

Great story Lancashire! And it's good to use that memory as a tool in your sober toolbox. Y'all keep late hours in the UK!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:20 PM
  # 16 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
Gawd, that was so funny, but also kind of sad... I was so pissed on NYE I went out for a fag (don't smoke except when highly pissed), got a head spin, stepped on a china cup that my daughter had been playing with, fell onto the drive ... managed to get all the bits into the bin without injury and thought it was hilarious... thank god I don't have cctv... never again my friends....

Its nice to see some UK folk on here, not that the others are not great too, but PUBS are such a massive part of life in the UK, I feel like I have lost something.. in reality who knows, but in a romantic, past funtimes, smokey film kind of way... but I will not feel bereaved, I will feel lucky this time!
I agree, Never again. Thats all done with.
Pubs are a playing a lesser part than they used to, there mostly eating places now. Since the 1990s drink driving penalties are so severe (12 month ban) plus money in fines that people wont drive to them anymore. The pubs you see on Coronation Street and Eastenders have are mostly gone except for pockets.

In the UK, we have become a nation of Home Drinkers and Nights Out Drinkers, where getting destroyed is a national past-time sadly. Our Accident & Emergency Departments in Hospitals tonight will be full of alcohol related injuries and intoxication.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:21 PM
  # 17 (permalink)  

Keep it up! You can do this! You CAN stay sober and have a life beyond your wildest dreams! :-)
Old 01-03-2015, 05:22 PM
  # 18 (permalink)  
Sober Member

Originally Posted by fromadistance View Post
Great story Lancashire! And it's good to use that memory as a tool in your sober toolbox. Y'all keep late hours in the UK!
Your right 01:23 off to bed, night all.
Old 01-03-2015, 05:26 PM
  # 19 (permalink)  

Originally Posted by enfinthechange View Post
PUBS are such a massive part of life in the UK!
Aren't they just, there is 1 like every 100 yards!

Hungry and want a cheap meal - pub meal
Cheap beer before a night out - witherspoons
Then there is ur local where u feel comfortable to get completely rat faced till stupid oclock and make a dick out of urself!!
Old 01-03-2015, 05:46 PM
  # 20 (permalink)  

Living here in suburbia usa, I never really thought about it from a UK perspective. I've been aware of pubs, but didn't really think about how common they are. I don't think I'd be able to frequent those places and stay sober. And strangely enough , sober me doesn't like to be around a bunch of drinkers as the night goes on. Too much smack talk silliness and/or deep thinking talk.