Notices

Dead end

Old 01-03-2015, 08:34 AM
  # 21 (permalink)  

Yes you are among friends. Do this!
Old 01-03-2015, 08:36 AM
  # 22 (permalink)  
Sober Soldier

Don't sweat it the past two years for me have been nothing but a series of ups and downs. Going sober for days, weeks, even months, then going back to drinking for a bit, then repeating the process. I would beat myself up about it too and I am just now learning how to forgive myself and realizing that in order to move past this, I am going to have to work for it, physically and mentally. But blaming ourselves will never be the answer.

One of the things I have really been embracing lately is the fact that failing does not make you a failure. If you fail, you keep trying, and no matter how long it takes, good things are bound to start happening if you just keep at it.
Old 01-03-2015, 08:43 AM
  # 23 (permalink)  

Hey Pat. I'm sorry you are struggling, bud... but it's quite clear from your patterns that you do have motivation and want to tackle this sobriety thing. It's just how to get through those phases that tend to set you off. You have had a few relapses, so do you recognize any sort of common theme? If so, focus on that this time around, maybe?

I like that you identify different approaches that you could try next. So if the inpatient could cause so many problems, I would say try Plan B first, but do give it a large dose of effort. In my case, I definitely needed to target my mental health concerns in early sobriety, and I still need that sort of care. Nothing to be ashamed about that. In my experience, even if you don't find a clear and easy solution, diagnosis, whatnot... the process of pursuing it can be helpful as opposed to trying to figure it all on our own and fix things alone. So I would say, go for it and don't wait long.

As for the Plan A (inpatient), if nothing else works, I would say it's worth it even at the cost of sacrifices as ultimately it's your life that is being at stake here. Perhaps you could find a less damaging solution for that as well, like many people.

I'm glad to see you are in a relatively positive spirit about all this. Try to ride that current and do whatever it takes!
Old 01-03-2015, 09:15 AM
  # 24 (permalink)  
A simple guy making his way

Pat... no such thing as dead ends. Go ask for help. See what options you do have. No one has to sell a house or lose a kid to get help. get the facts.

What ever you choose to do go into it with expectations that nothing is a silver bullet. I did that three times at rehab and it doesn't work. I had to accept that this is a new way of living and thinking.

You can and you will do it.
Old 01-03-2015, 10:10 AM
  # 25 (permalink)  
Formerly ScrewdUpInDe

Patman, the only way you could lose is to stop trying. Don't give up, reexamine your plans and try to determine a better path.
Old 01-03-2015, 11:47 AM
  # 26 (permalink)  
Life is an unlikely miracle.

Patman, your posts have always inspired and helped me, my friend.

You can do this.

Stay close and surround yourself with us, your friends in sobriety
Old 01-03-2015, 12:12 PM
  # 27 (permalink)  
A Day at a Time

90% of my recovery was do to AA @ $10 per week. I was forced to accept that I had to be willing to do anything because without sobriety I would loose every thing I cherished